fuel pump issue

Well, my car's been stored for the last 2 months up here in Canada in my unheated garage. Temps usually hover around the freezing mark.

Today was a nice sunny day, above frezzing all week and the driveway was clear so I decided to try and start her up and go for a slow cruise around the neighbourhood.

Battery's been hooked up to a tender all winter, so fully charged. Got in, key in and on the second click I can normally hear the fuel pump prime itself (I'm running a Walbro 255). This time though, so sound. Strange. Cranked it a few time, nothing. Sounds like either the fuel pump's dead or the fuse is dead. Any can offer insight into what to look into? Should I just leave it until the temps warm up a little?

Nothing like an NSX issue in mid-winter. Haha.

John

Well, my car's been stored for the last 2 months up here in Canada in my unheated garage. Temps usually hover around the freezing mark.

Today was a nice sunny day, above frezzing all week and the driveway was clear so I decided to try and start her up and go for a slow cruise around the neighbourhood.

Battery's been hooked up to a tender all winter, so fully charged. Got in, key in and on the second click I can normally hear the fuel pump prime itself (I'm running a Walbro 255). This time though, so sound. Strange. Cranked it a few time, nothing. Sounds like either the fuel pump's dead or the fuse is dead. Any can offer insight into what to look into? Should I just leave it until the temps warm up a little?

Nothing like an NSX issue in mid-winter. Haha.

John

Have you checked the main relay yet? Usually when it starts to quit the fuel pump won't kick in. Either that or maybe your walbro went bad, which is rare but not uncommon.

Richie, just read all about the main relay and I ordered one from Dali. price is $69 and change. Hope this is it! Did you have similar issues?

Turn the key to "ON" position and hit the rear garnish between the seats several times and listen for the pump to kick on. That jiggles the main relay and will sometimes cure the condition - for a while.

Richie, just read all about the main relay and I ordered one from Dali. price is $69 and change. Hope this is it! Did you have similar issues?

Yea I did have similar problems, you can try to hit the pannel most likely has a cold soldered joint or bad connection inside now. Pretty much every Honda I've had from the '90's including the NSX has had the relay go bad. You can take it apart and try to resolder but most likey will just go bad again pretty common thing.

Cheap from Dali at $69 I know Curry Acura and a few other OEM places sell for the same price. Maybe I should get one too for my '91 Rebuild project lol

Turn the key to "ON" position and hit the rear garnish between the seats several times and listen for the pump to kick on. That jiggles the main relay and will sometimes cure the condition - for a while.

+1 this can get you out of a bind if your stuck somewhere.

UPDATE:

New main relay arrived today, and like a giddy schoolboy I ran to the car to throw it on.

NOTHING!

OK, semi-panic mode starting now. Need more input. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a home mechanic. Starting to think its time to call a tow truck...

If you can install a main relay, you should be able to put 12v directly to the pump electrical connector behind the access panel in the firewall and see if it's your pump. It could be the fuel pump relay in the fuse box. Easy DIY to test this.

Did you check Fuse 5 in the driver's footwell fuse box?
The fuel pump diagnosis flowchart is in the online service manual on pages 11-99 through 11-101

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. My buddy (who builds race cars) is coming over next week to go over everything with a multimeter. I'll post back with results :)

Just trying to help here... my guess is the battery due to temps up there. You're probably running a race battery in there, yes? I'd try to jump it from a good working car. It might not be able to build up the CCAs. Long shot but that's my guess! I'd move to the fuses after that's been ruled out.

Just a regular battery Reg. Its fully charged too.

Posted from my iPhone

Update: today was a beautiful 65 degrees here (unusually high for this region in march), got my Skyline GTR out of storage yesterday, felt pretty good about things so I decided to try one more time to start the NSX before calling the flatbed next week.

Starts on first try! Yippee!!!!

No idea what happened but drove around the hood smiling like an idiot. I'm going to start her up every day this week and see what happens.

Posted from my iPhone

Update: today was a beautiful 65 degrees here (unusually high for this region in march), got my Skyline GTR out of storage yesterday, felt pretty good about things so I decided to try one more time to start the NSX before calling the flatbed next week.

Starts on first try! Yippee!!!!

No idea what happened but drove around the hood smiling like an idiot. I'm going to start her up every day this week and see what happens.

Posted from my iPhone
Fuel pump relay!

Back