Fuel injection too rich?

I am now on my 3rd NSX. They totaled my Black 2005 due to a bent frame and floor. My new one is a 05' silver automatic with a supercharger.
I bought it with the check engine light on... it coded the O2 sensor. The Acura dealership in Boca Raton fl. check it out gave it an A-OK side the O2 sensor. When I got it, it ran great! The supercharger on the NSX is the way the car should have came from the factory. It dyno at 390 HP.
The problem is that it started running very ruff. It would not start right away and would blow smoke once it did start (not a ton- just more than I had ever seen in my other 2 NSX's). It has computech exhaust as well and at a stop lights it was running really ruff, like a overtuned muscle car. When I get on it...it almost stalls then picks up RPM's (kind of like if the traction control kicks in). It does not ramp up the RPM's quickly in fact it is quite slow. At about 100 mph (which takes a while to get to) the light around the "D" for drive flashes. When I turn the car off and back on it goes off.
Any Ideas?
Does anyone know a good mechanic in the greater Denver area?

Last edited:
Re: Fuel injection to rich?

I just drove it this morning... way worse after last night tring to "blow the cobwebs out". It has to have fauled a cininder now it is blowing black smoke and running way worse...:mad:

I would take this car to Flatirons Acura in Boulder and have them look at it. Their techs are some of the best NSX experts in CO.

UPDATE:
So the mechanic told me that 2 spark plugs were bent or the spacing was never right?
He also said the the #3 cylcinder has no compression?
Does this sound right?
Is this as bad as it sounds?

Last edited:

Doesn't sound good at all. Off the top of my head, blown head gasket or broken rings on that cyl? Let's see what the others say. Do not run the car anymore till it's fixed.

3/5/12 update:
Look like they are going to drop the engine and may have to do piston or ring work . I have a local place "the Wrench" that said they can do it and that they can use the SOS upgraded parts. The mechanic works on race cars and I know him though people. I am a little nervous about a non-acura dealer doing it, but he seems pretty confident.
Any comments Ideas?

Last edited:
Parts on this car can get really exspensive. A guy that has worked on these cars could probably save you a bundle just knowing what to reuse (and what not to resue - these engine valves bend easily). That said - a good mechanic is a good mechanic and should know their way around an engine and know how and where to get answers to questions he may come upon.

Me personally - I'd go to someone experienced with this car like the "Barn Man" or Larry B. that would have the experience not only to fix what was broken, but also advise on other possible updates/upgrades that they may recommend from their experience on past rebuilds.

Good Luck!

I would take this car to Flatirons Acura in Boulder and have them look at it. Their techs are some of the best NSX experts in CO.

listen to this guy.as long as you are informed (by asking the prime gurus) and you are involved in the process a dealership with the right experience can be a better solution then an indy shop with no specific nsx experience ,because they have to make it right and have the factory backed resources to get it done.

Me personally - I'd go to someone experienced with this car like the "Barn Man" or Larry B. that would have the experience not only to fix what was broken, but also advise on other possible updates/upgrades that they may recommend from their experience on past rebuilds.

I'm with these guys on where to take it. Always better to go with the NSX experts.

Hope it goes well.

Mike

Update:
I sent the car and engine down to Chris at SOS. He is going to tune it and rebuild the engine. I know he comes very highly respected here at NSXPRIME.
Due to the supercharger I thought it would be best.
I guess I have a vacation to the grand canyon in my near future...

Update:
I sent the car and engine down to Chris at SOS. He is going to tune it and rebuild the engine. I know he comes very highly respected here at NSXPRIME.
Due to the supercharger I thought it would be best.
I guess I have a vacation to the grand canyon in my near future...

Make sure you check my post on my '92 running too rich due to a soiled Air Intake Temp sensor.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159564

Back