front CT swaybar rubs against coolant hose?

Ive just done a search on this and the closest thing I found was jadkar's Type R bar bangs w/sway bar problem.

Ive just installed a set of CT swaybars (the silver bars) on a '94. The rears fit fine, but the front bar rubs against the large coolant hose on the passenger side. It appears the CT swaybars do not bend as sharply as the oem one and do not clear the hose adequately. The car has the stock ride height and it doesnt matter which of the 3 end link mounting holes are used.

3892SwaybarProblem-CT.jpg

3892SwaybarProblem-oem.jpg

I can push the bar a little to the right and this buys about 0.2" of clearance, but the bar slides back to center on its own. I will try clamping collars later, but this still doesnt buy much clearance if any.

I am probably going to add a set of 0.5" shims between the bar and the chassis (kind of like those on 95+ cars as in Jadkar's thread) in the hopes this will give enough clearance. However, I was under the impression that these bars should bolt right up and fit correctly without any fiddling whatsoever?!?

Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so what did you do? Any information would be appreciated.

-- Joe

Until you find a final fitment fix, put a piece of coolant hose, split lengthwise around that portion of the swaybar that rubs, so at least the contact is rubber to rubber. Affix it with a couple of tie-wraps.

I just had another idea ( and am not sure if it would work). Perhaps you may be able to loosen the clamps on each end of the coolant pipe and turn it so you have more clearance at that location. Of course, be sure the pipe doesn't rub anywhere else after doing this.

I went though this problem constantly with an '85 Ferrari . I used a lot of rubber insulation between rubbing parts and repositioned a lot of coolant pipes on that car and I still had a hole wear through a pipe at midnight in Montreal on F-1 weekend. That was a lot fun!

Alterpak has a fix for this,pm him.

ANYTIME said:
Get the later model stock swaybar spacers and bolts and you'll be good to go. The spacers are about 1/2" and are aluminum.

I think this sounds like the most OEM solution, so I will try and get my hands on a set of these or Al's spacers depending on availability. In the meantime, I will have to fab up some quickie shims to get the car up and running again.

Thanks guys.

-- Joe

Back