Front bumper scrape over bumps/elevated driveways

hi guys,

im close to pulling the trigger on a brand new NSX. I am from the UK and the roads here are not the best.

My driveway for one is elevated. I mean it isnt steep but currently on my jag F type there is only a certain angle i can go up it without hearing the rattle of the bottom of the front bumper. There are also quite a few harsh speed bumps on my road.

My question is to the current NSX owners. How low is the front bumper? Will i need to invest in some sort of lift for the car? And does it struggle to go up fairly steep driveways/pathways or even down.

The back of the car looks better than the front. Maybe its better to reverse up steeper paths.

Any tips and info would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Jaguar lists the front ground clearance for the F-Type as 3.9" and the NSX is listed as 3.8". Science of speed does sell a scrape protector for the new NSX's which I believe a few members here have installed. I'd be willing to bet you would need to approach at a similar angle to avoid scraping similar to what you do in the F-type and the protector would just give you some extra piece of mind.

I've scraped a few times coming out of driveways but have not had problems while going up them.

Last edited:
Anything above a 7% grade will be scrapy scrapy.

Acura has some heavy film product for the bottom of the bumper but I do not recall anyone here using it.

science of speed also has the Ilift kit = a bit pricey but really almost a necessity as the speedbumps and grades that keep getting installed are targeted at all the bro-dozers that fill the streets up here in canada now :(

Again, thanks for the info. I will have to do something. I will most likely order the scrape protector and get it installed for peace of mind because i will be close to tears everytime it scrapes on my drive :tongue:

I bought scrape armor for the front bumper. A bit more expensive than the SOS product but it seems to be a bit wider. It has been working pretty well as I scrape pretty bad each time I pull out of my garage.

Acura has some heavy film product for the bottom of the bumper but I do not recall anyone here using it.

This is what I had my dealer install before delivery, and I'm quite happy with it so far. I suppose it is "flimsy" compared to a sacrificial piece of plastic, but I didn't want any holes drilled in my brand new car.

This is what I had my dealer install before delivery, and I'm quite happy with it so far. I suppose it is "flimsy" compared to a sacrificial piece of plastic, but I didn't want any holes drilled in my brand new car.

Thanks DJ iceman... quick question - is the film pretty thick? I am concerned that over time, it will start peeling or difficult to remove after many years? I was going to negotiate this OEM film in with my dealer vs. asking them to install SOS's.

Thanks DJ iceman... quick question - is the film pretty thick? I am concerned that over time, it will start peeling or difficult to remove after many years? I was going to negotiate this OEM film in with my dealer vs. asking them to install SOS's.

Yes, it's pretty thick. I expect it would be difficult to remove anytime after installation, as I would hope the adhesive is quite strong to keep it in place despite being scraped over pavement. I also don't want it to start peeling or drooping in the future.

You may well get your dealer to install it as part of the deal--the parts are cheap and the labor pretty quick.

DJ Iceman -big thanks for posting picts! Looks great - and the Nord Gray! wow. Quick question - if I don't have the carbon fiber package, is that area painted gloss black or is it unpainted plastic?

bd967343b9204329a4994fc6f29007d4.jpg

Last edited:
I think some owners used strong adhesive tape, instead of drilling holes for the fasteners, to attach the SOS bumper guards.

another fine idea. Just any heavy duty 3m double sided? The other brand provides some chemical to enhance adhesive or something. Given that I may be able to get this thrown in by my dealer, I am leaning towards OEM installed.

This is interesting. Looks like two versions of oem film. With a s without carbon. Without carbon only gets two wings but not the big center piece! I would think you can still use the big center piece with no carbon fiber front?

http://www.nsxwiki.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Front-bumper-protection-films.pdf

I surmise the center piece is not included in the non-CF kit, because the bottom front of the bumper is unpainted plastic on a 2017/2018 (not sure about 2019+).

1417aa9d114b8e5bdd82eb7b15ca6e0c.jpg

Back