From stock to track car...10k USD to spend

I have a full stock '92 with 65k miles in it and bought it as a weekend/track car. I want to spend about 10K USD to make it a bit more competitive on track days. I used to have an EVO VIII RS and track about 15times a year....so I'm kind of intermediate.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
What do You recomend to buy/improve on the car. Here is my list:<o:p></o:p>
  • KW3 - ~2,200USD<o:p></o:p>
  • RB BBK FRONT (4-pot, Open Slot) 328x28mm - ~1,700 USD<o:p></o:p>
  • RB BBK REAR (OE Caliper, Open Slot) 330x23mm - ~1,300 USD<o:p></o:p>
  • Enkei: RPF1: 17X8.0 +35 & 18X10.0 +38 - ~1,000 USD<o:p></o:p>
  • SOS Adjustable Anti-Sway Bars - ~340USD<o:p></o:p>
  • SOS NSX-R front chassis reinforcement bars - ~330USD<o:p></o:p>
  • Competition Front Camber Bushings - ~200USD<o:p></o:p>
  • ????<o:p></o:p>
So there is about 3-4k USD left….what would You buy, or change from the above ??<o:p></o:p>

Last edited:
Here's what I learned a long time ago. If you want a car to drive on the street, drive what you have. If you want a car to use on the track, buy a track dedicated car. You can't have both with your NSX. The creature comforts for a street car just don't work well with a track car and vise-versa.

depends on your skill level, you can have both!!!

RStom: I will just get a set of nice pads, nsx brakes aren't Brembo BBK, but with a good set of 2 pieces rotors(I love my stoptechs) and pads; you'll be surprised how nice they perform, since you go to track 15 times a year, you should have learnt the few tracks you went to pretty well. Nsx are momentum car that not so rely on brakes like your evo did.

From the few people who had RB brakes, I would stay away from them, especially the rotors they made... If you have to go BBK route, get a full set with a reputable names.

I would prob. go with Stmpo front reinforcement bars than the nsx-R.

No sway bars unless you needed them. again, nsx is low and it doesn't roll like EVO does. I won't install sway bars until i know for sure I'm not satisfied with the shocks/coilover alone.

With all the money you saved, you should get a set of track tires. That will work great with the camber bushings

oh, Titaniumdave's non compliance front clamp is a must for braking stability

the SOS steering bushings helps tightening up the steering a bit, and will give you more confidence when you in high speed sweepers.

If you absolutely wants to spend some money, go get yourself a GT wing, the down force will give you even more confidence at the high speed corners. Don't even waste any money for nsx R wing, they look good, that's about all the advantage it has.

Last edited:
$3000 + $1000 labor => CT PG2 clutch, 4.23/4.55 R&P and JDM short gears
$1000 => set of R888s/NT01s

Be Done.

Nobody recommending oiling mods for engine protection?

My minimum before hitting the track next year will be pan baffling and an accusump. I haven't decided on replacing the oil pump gears yet.

I have a full stock '92 with 65k miles in it and bought it as a weekend/track car. I want to spend about 10K USD to make it a bit more competitive on track days. I used to have an EVO VIII RS and track about 15times a year....so I'm kind of intermediate.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
So there is about 3-4k USD left….what would You buy, or change from the above ??<o:p></o:p>

Coilovers yes corner weighted and balanced like KW's, JIC's, 2500 + install and corner weighting
BBK yes about 3k
non-compliant pivot clamps and toe links yes..400
exhaust-yes example GTLW 1050
Headers would be nice- DC's, Comptech, etc 1000-1200
os giken 4.40 2600, lighter flywheel 300-400, clutch 1200-1500, short gears 1k,
Comptech shortshifter and autovation pedals....
steel braided brake lines 80
steering rack bushings 70
STMPO front chassis bar...I had the type R bar but replaced it with STMPO...still have the lower bar on there.
of course a good set of tires....???
depending on the track if you are doing sharp g's and cornering then an accusump and baffled oil pan will make sense.

I am just estimating so don't take it as exact prices...but im not far off.

Thats over your 10k, but right there you should notice a huge improvement on the car.

Last edited:
You need to budget for the non compliance rear beam bushings/toe links and front compliance pivot clamps.You don't need more HP until you have maxed out the tires grip with susp mods/agressive alignement/ track tires at least 235/40 front and 275/40 rear.

-KW V3s, ~ 2500
-BBK - Brembo "Lotus" front caliper ~ 3k
-non-compliant pivot clamps ~ 400
-OS Giken 4.40 LSD ~ 2600
-JDM short gears ~ 1k

If you dont go with the Brembo brakes, get an aggressive track pad, and proper ducting with the stock rotor size.

Get the STMPO front chassis bar.
+1 on the 235/275 tire width.
Get an accusump and baffled oil pan.

You need to budget for the non compliance rear beam bushings/toe links and front compliance pivot clamps.You don't need more HP until you have maxed out the tires grip with susp mods/agressive alignement/ track tires at least 235/40 front and 275/40 rear.

This and what Billy said (can sub the Giken with the 4.235). Also (extra) for a 3.0 --- H/E --- its more power but helps the car not run out of breath up top - the great sound won't hurt too.

-KW V3s, ~ 2500
-BBK - Brembo "Lotus" front caliper ~ 3k
-non-compliant pivot clamps ~ 400
-OS Giken 4.40 LSD ~ 2600
-JDM short gears ~ 1k

If you dont go with the Brembo brakes, get an aggressive track pad, and proper ducting with the stock rotor size.

Get the STMPO front chassis bar.
+1 on the 235/275 tire width.
Get an accusump and baffled oil pan.

BBK - Brembo "Lotus" front caliper ~ 3k Is not it change the brake bias dramatically i fI only install on the front? Where can I get it?
non-compliant pivot clamps ~ 400 What is this? And where can I get it?
If you dont go with the Brembo brakes, get an aggressive track pad, and proper ducting with the stock rotor size. Any advise on tha brand and make? Solution for ducting?
Get the STMPO front chassis bar. Is it better? any advise where to buy?
Get an accusump and baffled oil pan I already bought the oil pan, but what is accusump?

Here's what I learned a long time ago. If you want a car to drive on the street, drive what you have. If you want a car to use on the track, buy a track dedicated car. You can't have both with your NSX. The creature comforts for a street car just don't work well with a track car and vise-versa.

agreed, I learned this the hard way with my last car, I ended up modding it too much, to the point that it was actually a bit of a chore to drive on the street, and only fun on a track

that's why I've been really conservative with mods for the NSX, see my sig for what I've done, I don't want to ruin it and turn it into my last car

It is easy to spend money on the car and end up with shit that is not as good as stock.

Some on this list know what is good and some do not.

My first set of suspension lowered the car but was not as good as stock.
I tried different spring weight to no avail.
I should have listened to a friend's advice and gone with the other brand that was tried and true.
I ended up selling my first set of coil overs and getting the other brand.

Notice I didn't specify a brand... :)

If you PM me I'll tell you what I have tried and like.

Later,
Don

BBK - Brembo "Lotus" front caliper ~ 3k Is not it change the brake bias dramatically i fI only install on the front? Where can I get it?
non-compliant pivot clamps ~ 400 What is this? And where can I get it?
If you dont go with the Brembo brakes, get an aggressive track pad, and proper ducting with the stock rotor size. Any advise on tha brand and make? Solution for ducting?
Get the STMPO front chassis bar. Is it better? any advise where to buy?
Get an accusump and baffled oil pan I already bought the oil pan, but what is accusump?

The pivot clamps and toe links are around 400 and I got mines from SOS
shown here

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/suspension_performance_products/NSX/suspension_accessories.asp

STMPO bar you get it from STMPO...contact ross or search the website.
I also have the STMPO brake ducts....

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109360

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1178601

also some additional things they sell that won't hurt either
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122774

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129683

accumsump is here http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/oil_accumulator/

Last edited:
BBK - Brembo "Lotus" front caliper ~ 3k Is not it change the brake bias dramatically i fI only install on the front?
Somewhat yes, which is why it would be good to run an agressive rear brake pad as well. Ryneen (from Prime) frequently tracks his NSX with 235/275 R-compound tires with the Brembo front system and stock rear and I like it a lot. Great feel and performance, and the bias is pretty close.

Billy

I agree:-))

230/610/17 front
280/650/18 rear Yokohama Advan005

Somewhat yes, which is why it would be good to run an agressive rear brake pad as well. Ryneen (from Prime) frequently tracks his NSX with 235/275 R-compound tires with the Brembo front system and stock rear and I like it a lot. Great feel and performance, and the bias is pretty close.

Billy

My setup is still quicker than I am:
- Penske double adjustable coilovers from Erik Messley
- Comptech header
- Taitec lightweight exhaust without cats
- Cantrell intake
- JDM short gears and lower final drive
- Stock clutch with lightweight flywheel
- Accusump 3 quart
- Non compliance rear beam and toe links
- Front non compliant clamp
- Brembo BBK on front with Carbotech XP10 pads (soon to be PFC 01's). Stock rear brakes with Carbotech XP10 pads. Stainless steel brake lines with high temp fluids.

Re: Ebay. only a few hours left

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...9+&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&viewitem=

Sorry to crash your thread, couldn't help myself. :redface:

Attachments

• track day beauty.jpg
    track day beauty.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 86
I'd contact Ross from STMPO. One stop and u will get everything you need. And Ross doesn't mark up products ridiculously, which is a common practice on NSX parts.

I'd do the JRZs over the KWs. The rest u can ask Ross.

Cheers.

Is your NSX the JDM one?

Is your NSX the JDM one?

No originaly it is from Canada, where the car spent her 1st year, and than the rest 16 years in Florida, and now the last 2month in the container and 2 month in Hungary....which is her 3rd (and last) home :-)

Back