• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Freshly Built: JDM Type R 5spd Manual Transmission (Short Gears + 4.23 Short Final Drive)

RYU

Legendary Member
Tech Expert
EDIT: Price updated

Hello All,

This is my spare 5spd transmission. I had it built as my "ultimate" street transmission when I was supercharged. I never got around to install it as it became my spare when I found a unicorn 6spd. Since it's been sitting for some years, I recently had it opened up and gone through again by a local Acura NSX Master Tech who's one of the best at rebuilding our tranny's here in the west coast. I went through another order of extra parts and had him change anything with minor wear so it's basically has new internals.

Looking for $9800. I know that's a lot, but it's also expensive to get this kind of work done these days assuming you can source all the parts since they constantly go on/off discontinued/backorder status. The average labor alone is $5k+ here in CA and that's not from a NSX Master Tech. You can also find for sale ads for standard USDM 5psd for $7k. This one for example.. and it's beat TF up. So you can recoup your money that way.

I'm using the money to put towards a Miata Time Attack build. I'm selling for a good cause so someone please buy this from me! :D :D :D

Details:
Zero miles since the rebuild
JDM Short gears 2nd, 3rd, 4th.
4.23 Final ring and pinion
LSD rebuilt do Type R specifications
A bunch of wear parts like oil pump, bearings, synchros, etc, etc, etc are brand new.
Not a snap ring affected trans but the snap ring top case was inspected just in case

I can ship this at your cost and I will build a robust wooden crate for it at no extra cost. Would prefer a local buyer for convenience though.

My name is still on it from when it was sitting at Applied Motorsports years ago lol
AP1GczO3lQYjgZlwYv4s2t8oNuD5MolFTg32RiUNjEU4fXkdLCtA60PI46EAn9p_1Ho4KAA-xlxSPSkxaj-H0qL-6MS8PWhIvszxlwskOaGHo7tYm15MARTcxsq-tSCKDoeA5AFGdgvz7dYJQqXzf7NaWVQXuw=w2560-h1920-s-no-gm

You still see a tiny bit of fresh Hondabond on the bottom bolts to ensure no leaks. I noticed this is only what the experienced tranny builders do.
AP1GczO-K9Yhi_yR_gFPkvtBG-3uBII013EZ0bsNYRv4LOYX5znjJRD38QG6IUq09a3fd8cEvSjekXcEQUi9-BLZjU7HmVB-lRXhjFQAQE6Id0GwNOwMD-cqSfREuF7wCWlvDOmHz-eHVfvUL0yooZ380rsv3Q=w2560-h1920-s-no-gm

AP1GczPkMKL-onj1wbbq268JM0ohL1R26dzuGO8QQTN_-bpPOBS5lEIyjlllGXLTjPhg0Paj3va9mkCVhWqr8luGiP_n6bBDEi8PFuhviGs-Gpjn-afeE2kJ1EaUiViMkH2ugNMwHmlvXV2fk9Ed408S3wiXog=w1469-h1958-s-no-gm

It's been thoroughly hand cleaned but I didn't want it power washed before the rebuild.
AP1GczN4U_MJI1NzKBy53h1r3nmMQvkHkwd7vavgNEpuRYDawpcYVzHog1MO4uXatC7O5KuFGE-9wPg4Kl6U-EQ_k7xezckyzo-3gRWDoiOb7UovXvgjCtb1rArexfO5Bezgo-V447R5t27Fh49zBSUKJzDjbg=w2560-h1920-s-no-gm

Bottom shot of the thin coat of hondabond sealant showing it hasn't been installed and has effectively zero miles.
AP1GczMtutyrzcxgQzRXZ8P4Vdlq9xoIulz_5fHizvY8IgHAM4lbmYd5IIiQhntmNsKbcmfrPERaIZmCbPuPAZBxF_rH078vrnU4w31oRQcscXKhkPgrEV7ApjXUoKWmizrM2mZANoJkVdrWidzJ2yDp6rdE-g=w1469-h1958-s-no-gm

Some of the new parts. There was another couple of batches of parts as it was torn down and measured.
AP1GczOKwfonVw7dOIj_IazPas8ImxvCGJ7IMMrmToQfQi7-OhDPRf2urWz6mmtLnx8Ykr1u-nN8n3w8H5-nyVtlCk_OPGYPraRTPUOe1-JN8icBSiJLluyApHJNEi_cfEFh0YtaLiXRgJynoEJ01mUCipWIYA=w2560-h1920-s-no-gm

For example, upon the 2nd teardown the oil pump assembly had some wear. I decided to just swap to new parts while we were in there. Thanks to @MotorMouth93 for telling me about the replacement oil pump plate since it's now discontinued at Honda.
AP1GczMmVMI9p_8NYQM5yC9SNnxbtLgMq0h52sdqVwXXWlLcI-nECCNz6eI-37k8z0wcWzEJhHitpUMOTOXZPReaUXWHnp3UQgo3dbioTO-AWFY9OzNkodb87W6Scwc9AUIMuDkkA4EVx3nIIfFWo7mFYvxTww=w2560-h1920-s-no-gm

I have some of the old parts from the 2nd rebuild
AP1GczOuXMxgHjk7K_Ug3E65seERB-FdBIhzEl2182qAXMvJyCc9YAhwfE2UDtMYEDTAVSi9uyQFxq4AjXvyjTfwsiWW8mdOyFN_JoU_licBwu-A5xy5aJtU9Mqhg-yvEoDyJeL-n7N3urpfnpslLH-pTYeRpg=w2560-h1920-s-no-gm

Last edited:
I have had these gear ratios with a CTSC in my coupe. Happy to answer any questions with my honest feedback fwiw. My current NA ITB build produces a bit more power than my CTSC setup and I'm on the same (or very very close) 1-4 gear ratios now.

Thanks for your note!

How is the highway RPMs? 3500 at 70mph? I have an ARC Titanium that can get a bit noisy.
Depends on your rear tire size. With 245/40/17 in the back, I get about 3,200 at 72 MPH with the same setup as this trans. It's above 3,000 for sure though. Not that noticeably worse than the USDM to be honest.

How is the highway RPMs? 3500 at 70mph? I have an ARC Titanium that can get a bit noisy.
Thanks for chiming in @Honcho because I can vaguely remember where RPM sits during a constant hwy cruise. That's hardly ever my use case so it doesn't come to mind easily these days. If I was to reflect it's probably somewhere in the 3500rpm range at 75mph which is my usual hwy speed.

Here is a great thread started by @josby that will aid in visualizing

FWIW, looking back at all the gear ratios i've tried. I've literally tried them all except for the very short >4.44 and shorter finals the 4.23 on the 5spd is quite a good compromise all things considered. Perhaps if you were Texas where the avg speeds are like 85mph it might get a buzzy but quite a few owners from TX have the JDM R spec 5spd and don't seem to complain. I draw the line at anything shorter than 4.23 though. I can't do 4.44 and shorter.

btw.. I also have a ARC Ti. It's loud but smooth. Mine doesn't drone at hwy speeds. If your does, it could be based on header or cat related combination. I remember having drone in an rpm range that went away after changing from CT to RFY headers. The drone just shifted somewhere else. Often times depending on the component it just shifts around the drone point resonance.

Back