Fraudulent listing for NSX on ebay

I stumbled across this earlier tonight and I wanted everyone to know.
The item # is 250108787410. The car belongs to Devin@AEM and he did not create this ad. The seller copied the verbage and photos from a magazine article.

I have contacted the "seller" several times claiming to be interested with cash in hand, and wanting to check "His" car out since it is local to me. He has not contacted me back.

For someone who wants to sell a car, he seems reluctant to actually meet face to face. That's the scam test for me. Lots of other naive bidders though.

I have contacted the "seller" several times claiming to be interested with cash in hand, and wanting to check "His" car out since it is local to me. He has not contacted me back.

For someone who wants to sell a car, he seems reluctant to actually meet face to face. That's the scam test for me. Lots of other naive bidders though.

Umm, I only have to read "will sell it for $15000" to know it's not legit....well, that and the 0 trader rating lol.

I have been talking to eBay via their "live help" and made several complaints through their security center as instructed.

I even forwarded eBay a link to the Honda Tuning article online where the text and pictures where obviously taken from: http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/0612_ht_1997_acura_nsx_turbo/index.html

Not one email response or action from ebay and the ad is still up. Not sure what to do at this point.

I had reported it 3 times in the last week and they never took it down. The "seller" did invalidate a number of bids over the last 5 days until this round of bidding which presumably includes shill bidders.

Would it hurt for me to out-bid everyone...let's say $100K.

I'd imagine it should be easy and straightforward to deal with eBay's security department after the auction ends.

22 minutes left and counting.

Would it hurt for me to out-bid everyone...let's say $100K.

I'd imagine it should be easy and straightforward to deal with eBay's security department after the auction ends.

22 minutes left and counting.

The last time there was an obviously fraudulent auction the bidding went up to $2,000,000 before ebay finally took it down.

I think it is a great idea to keep outbidding everyone on your own car!

What a piece of shit:eek: Man do I hate pieces of garbage like that!! May a rabid dog maul his ass and deficate on his face while he cries out for help in a garbbled but semi human voice!...lol...what an asshole:mad:

Dam:cool:

What a piece of shit:eek: Man do I hate pieces of garbage like that!! May a rabid dog maul his ass and deficate on his face while he cries out for help in a garbbled but semi human voice!...lol...what an asshole:mad:

Dam:cool:

Hopefully he/she's in California as CDCR is building 50,000 more bed/cells for those who feel it's easier to commit a crime than to work legitimately. "There's always room for one more".

Per live help again - eBay said they are going to contact the winning bidder with information regarding my complaint.

Not sure why they don't just remove the ad.

Probably because they want to make money....I imagine there are still fees involved.

I would outbid everyone...it is your car afterall. :)

I've seen this quite often on ebay. I've seen a "buy it now" price at $11,000 for an nsx at one point. It was truly fake because it asked for you to email the person first. Besides that, 11k, no way!! I wrote to ebay and ebay said that someone had made a fake account and stoled pictures from others.

To update, I just checked my throwaway Email account (the one I use when I have to give my email to companies that sell it) and I received this email from the "Seller":

"Re: Question for item #250108787410 - Acura : NSX
Hi,
First of all,i must apologize for my reticence with selling my car.I
love this car and it means a lot to me.I am forced by a bank loan to
sell it.The loan does not involved her ,but i need the money and i must
do that.The car is like new ,in perfect condition, no marks or need for
additional repairs what so ever.It has no scratches, no special marks,
no need for additional repairs what so ever.The real miles onboard, a
great car ready to be yours. It has no accident or any engine problem.
I need to know you,even if that means by email or phone before i sell
you the car.Even if i seem a little paranoid,i will not sell this car to
anyone.I took very good care of her and i feel very attached to her.
The price is $15000 with shipping for free(if necessary in the
continental US),since my brother in law works at DAS,and he promised me
that it will cost me nothing to ship it to you.I don't want to offend
you by anything but if we are going to complete the sale we are going to
use Ebay Purchase Program which will cover the purchases up to 20,000
USD.Please also provide me with the following details necessary to take
a decision:
-your username
If you agree with my terms,i will need your name and address and i
will contact ebay to inform them about our agreement and to start the
program to protect us.If this is ok with you and you want me to explain
how the process works,please email me and i will do that.
Thank you and i will wait for your email.
"

I think I'm going to play with the guy a bit.

Unfortunately it happens all the time. I use to own an interactive car dealership. Ppl not only steal your photos... they'll take your type/copy... they'd go to our website and steal info there and they'd also photoshop watermarks out of photos or crop them out. Typically ebay would remove an ad when we called. It's best to call the FBI though as it is a federal offense :) Try to get them in some real trouble as ebay probably won't do anything. :)

Here's a record of our correspondance so far:

"Hey there,
>
> Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but this is my home email
> and I have been out of town so I have not checked it since the
> auction. Is the car still for sale?"

"Yes it is and i will try to explain it to you.If you want to buy a car
trough their program,you must forward me your user name,name and address
and i will contact them to let them know about our deal,or i will let
you know my details and you can contact them.They will examine the
transaction and they will contact us if everything is fine.You will
deposit the money to them,and i will ship the car to you.You will have 1
week for inspection and if you find everything ok,i will come to do the
paperwork.After we complete the deal,you will contact ebay in order to
release the funds to me.
If something is not ok with the car,the deposit is 100% refundable so
you will receive your money back.
Thank you.
"

"> I am definitely interested, but shipping would be unnecesary, as I am
> about 20 minutes from your location. I would be willing to use
> whatever escrow service that you prefer, but it seems silly to ship
> the car to me for inspection, when I could check it out in person
> prior to us entering into a sales contract. We could meet at any
> public place of your choice and convenience, like a car dealership,
> bank, or whatever.
>
> Let me know what you think."

"I understand you but I'm not in town for that reason I prefer to use
this method.
Thank you.
"

"Alright, that's cool. I'm hardly ever in town myself. This is the first weekend I havn't been traveling for work in about a month.

Where is the car located? Can you send me some more pix, particularly of the interior, trunk, and engine compartment? Also, are all the factory tools like the compressor & jack still with the car?"
>

I received another couple of Emails from him yesterday and will post them this evening. I am planning on taking this situation to the Los Angeles County Sherriff's department maybe later today or tomorrow, since in his most recent Email he claims that the car is in Manhattan beach.

Maybe they will care enough to set up the "Buy" as he wants, and burn his ass for attempted fraud.

Many of these frauds originate from outside the U.S. such as Nigeria, etc.

I received another couple of Emails from him yesterday and will post them this evening. I am planning on taking this situation to the Los Angeles County Sherriff's department maybe later today or tomorrow, since in his most recent Email he claims that the car is in Manhattan beach.

Maybe they will care enough to set up the "Buy" as he wants, and burn his ass for attempted fraud.

Hi guys,
Thought I'd sign up and share since I got the same scammer on my hook now. And I'm trailing him along to see how far he'll go.
The lingo is the same and what's funnier is the car he was hawking is STILL listed on a Dealers website here:
gearsmotorsports.com/98NSX_407.htm
Asking $54.9 for a obviously sweet cherry ride.

So, here's his opener
Hello
Thank you for inquiring about my car(1998 Acura NSX TARGA), that I have listed on eBay.
The car is still for sale and the buy it now price is $ 12,000.
First of all I must inform you that I'm located in Europe. I recently moved here with my job(I'm in the army) and I had the intention to take the car with me in order to register it and keep it, but I discovered that it is very hard to register an United States vehicle here and the taxes are very high. So, unfortunately, I had to leave the car back in the US.
The shipping/handling fees will vary depending on your location and will be covered by the seller(with insurance and 15 days return policy).The car is in perfect condition and it has not even a scratch or damage, it has not been involved in a accident,clear title.
The car was always garaged.
If the car does not matches 100% the description, you will return it in maximum 15 days and I will pay for the return shipping fees.
PAYMENT will be made through eBay so we can be both protected!
If you agree with my above terms, I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Dan Hamden
Here is a photo album of the Acura:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/liverpoolfc7/album/576460762400775594

I set the string out and..
Chris
I am serving the UN,yes they are treating me well.The car is at a military base in the US.It is already crated and sealed ready for shipping.
They are just doing me a favor to ship the car for a small cost.They are not a dealership where you can inspect a vehicle.
The price is $12,000.I am taking care of shipping the car to your place.
Regarding the title :I have the car's papers with me.I will issue a notarized bill of sale and I will sign the title on the front and back and notarize the signatures.All you have to do is to go with these papers at your local DMV office and transfer the registration in your name.It's very easy.I will overnight the papers and keys to you.
I will not ask for money from you because you haven't seen / test driven the car yet. Here is how we can do this. My suggestion is eBay for the transaction. The financial part will be managed by them. The only thing I request from you is to make the payment to eBay but no money will reach my account until the car is inspected.
I require a $6,000 deposit prior to shipping the car,again this money will not reach me without your approval.
If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, shipping address,eBay ID so I can register the transaction with eBay asap.

I also have a return policy,you have 15 days to inspect it,if you find something wrong with it you have the right to send it back(I also pay for returns) and you will receive a full refund.

Thank you
Dan
PS: Did you get the chance to see the photo album of car I sent you in my last email?

I don't give him anything, show some eagerness but ask a simple question. Hook in mouth he replys again..
Chris

I can provide you a number but as I said they are doing me a favour and I don't want to get them in trouble.
I have the car's papers with me.I will be the one making the notarized bill of sale and I will also sign the title on the front and back and notarize the signatures.I will send the papers and keys by air mail.The shipping duration is approx 1-2 working days.

Also the car will be shipped from the military base(with a truck).For the car's security I crated it and also insured it.When you will receive it you will have to sign a statement that you received it.
Again,YOU HAVE 15 DAYS TO INSPECT THE CAR AND IT;S PAPERS.If you find anything wrong with the car/papers you have the right to send them back and receive a full refund.

Here are the steps of this transaction:
1.You send the deposit to ebay(not to me)
2.After ebay confirms that you made payment I will ship the car.
3.I will submit all the shipping documents to ebay so they can verify.
4.Ebay will verify and they will send you a shipping confirmation(the car will be on it's way to you)
5.You will have to submit the rest of the payment to ebay.
6. ebay will verify it and they will confirm it to me.
7.As soon as I receive the 2nd payment confirmation from ebay I will ship the car's documents and papers and bill of sale
8.You will receive the car,papers,keys bill of sale.
9.You have 15 days to inspect the car and documents(in this time your payment will be in ebay's possession)
10. ONLY if you find everything as advertised you must email ebay with your authorization to release the payment to me.
11.ONLY when ebay has your permission they will send the payment to me.
12.If you find ANYTHING wrong or misrepresented with the car/papers you must report this to ebay and ask for a refund.You will have to send the car and papers back to me(as I said I also pay for returns).
As soon as the car and papers get back to me ebay will send you your money back.
If you want to continue please email me your name,shipping address and ebay name so i can register a transaction with ebay.
Thank you

Now though all this my wife is going nutty b/c she thinks I'm actually going to purchase an NSX (been looking for a month now) and I have to keep telling her, "Dear, he doesn't even have the car."

Of course, if by some miracle of the gods I could aquire such a car for anything less than 40K I would die of a heart attack. I have no misconceptions. But I did gather some juicy bits finally on the 3rd email.

Code:
5/7/2007 8:56 PM
172.167.214.31 America Online
from [172.167.214.31] by webmail01.dca.untd.com with HTTP
from [email protected] by webmail01.dca.untd.com (jqueuemail) id ML6948C3
--------
5/8/2007 8:27 PM
172.149.164.116 America Online
from [172.149.164.116] by webmail12.dca.untd.com with HTTP
from [email protected] by webmail12.dca.untd.com (jqueuemail) id ML9ST998
--------
5/9/2007 2:18 PM
68.197.94.112 Optimum Online (Cablevision Systems) [City: Bronx, New York]
from [68.197.94.112] by webmail03.dca.untd.com with HTTP
from [email protected]) by webmail03.dca.untd.com (jqueuemail) id MMBP4XJT
-----------------
UNTD.COM
Registrar:     ENOM, INC.
Registrant Contact:
   United Online, Inc.   
   Fax: 
   21301 Burbank Boulevard
   Woodland Hills, CA 91367
   US

Administrative Contact:
   United Online Hostmaster 
   +1.8054182000
   Fax: 805-418-2002
   United Online, Inc.
   2555 Townsgate Road
   Westlake Village, CA 91361
   US

Technical Contact:
   UnitedOnline Networking 
   +1.8182873000
   Fax: 818 287 3002
   United Online
   21301 Burbank Blvd
   Woodland Hills, CA 91367
   US

Those are the email details, in the beginging he was pertty anon with AOL and Webmail access to Juno. But the last one (the hook must've been hurting) he used a Cable internet provider (ie pseudo hard land line) which can be nailed down by the Lawmen. HeHeHe....

I may continue the charade a wee bit more just to test his nerves and patience, but I offer this to you guys if someone is starting action with Ebay or locals, this info will help you.

Cheers all,
Chris

I seen a few of these on ebay. I emailed ebay before about a "buy it now" price that was unbeleivably low and that the seller was asking to be emailed before you do a buy it now.
I wish they catch these people. I also got emails from Nigeria before, ( cash their check and give them the balance), they had a special on 20/20 news about this.
Thanks for posting this so people would be aware about this scam.

Back