Fram Oil Filters

My son recently change oil on his Ford Explorer and replaced the oil filter with a Fram filter. Shortly thereafter, while his mother was driving the vehicle, the engine locked up.

After reviewing the problem, it was found that the Fram oil filter's seal had blown completely ruining the engine.

Has anyone dealt with Fram on recovery costs on situations such as this?? If so, what procedures would you recommend??

Need Help......

Sounds like you need the advice of an attorney if you are serious about pursuing this - and I don't mean free legal advice here 'cause it will be worth exactly what you are paying for it.
For what it is worth - see above - I recall some stuff on the web a few years ago about different brands of oil filters and what absolute junk many of them were.

I recently encountered an aftermarket oil filter - decent brand - that had TWO sealing washers. The machine making the washers didn't cut all the way through these two so they were partly attached to each other and that's how they ended up on the filter. Needless to say this filter would not have sealed properly nor stood up in actual service.

This is my advice: if you have comprehensive automobile insurance, contact them. This should be covered under your policy. If you think that blowing up the engine on an explorer is bad, try blowing the engine on an NSX. New pistons are $900 a piece, crank shaft is $3k, new cylinder heads are $5K. Similar thing happened to my X and State Farm covered the cost of a full rebuild. Take it to your insurance agent, let them examine it. If it is the way you said it was, they will send someone out, pay for repairs, and THEY will handle the suit against Fram. If you have questions, P.M. me.

Back