Formula 1 Tint

Let me preface my post by saying that my question actually relates to my daily driver (a 1996 Ford Probe GT) :eek: and not an NSX :eek: I'm still 6-12 months from taking the plunge, but my questions I have now will also help when I get an NSX. I'm looking into the Formula 1 Tint and just have some general questions for those of you that have this tint. I figure using my current car would be great for a test run using this stuff.

I did do some searching :wink: but didn't find the answers to all of my burning questions. So lay off Forum Nazi! :biggrin: (actually I haven't felt your wrath yet).

Note that my car is Black (which makes picking the right tint a little more challenging) but it does have tan interior. It also has the gold stripes down each side (similar to those you'd see on camry's, some SUV's, etc. Not racing stripes, just those real subtle stripes from front to back).

The car has 5 windows that will need to be tinted (drivers/passenger side windows, two windows in back seat, and hatchback).

I'm looking to get a nice looking tint, but I don't want the limo/smoked/gangster (or whatever you want to call it :biggrin: ) look.

(1) What series of tint would you recommend for someone w/ a black car. I was mainly looking at the Comfort series (supposedly has a bluish tint?) or the Ultimate series (has a brownish/something else tint?). The guy at the store didn't seem to think the Premier series would work w/ a black car, but then one of the guys he was talking too thought it might work, so I don't really know (I think the Premier series has more of a reflective look, which the guy didn't think would work with the black car). I ruled out the Pinnacle series, since it is extremely expensive (if I was putting it on a nicer car, I might be more apt to get it).

(2) What level of tint would you recommend? Would you do different rear than sides? I was planning on just doing the same all around. The guy was pushing the darker tints (15 or 18, depending on the series), but I thought that might be too dark for me. I don't really want the smoked/limo/pimp juice/ghetto fab/gangsta look, but the guy seemed to think some of the higher ones might be too light? I just want a nice clean look w/ out killing my visibility.

(3) What's a reasonable price to pay for this stuff. Keep in mind, my car has 5 windows to tint, not 3 (?) like the NSX. The guy was quoting me at $250 for the Comfort series and $270 for the Ultimate. The Pinnacle would have set me back $350 :eek: I don't know if these prices are unreasonable or not, based on the posts I've read, it seems like most people get in under $200, but then again they might have fewer windows to cover. Custom Sounds here in St. Louis is the only licensed retailer of the Formula 1 tint. If anyone has any experience w/ them, let me know if you think they do a good job (I think they also have stores in Texas).

(4) If anyone has any pics w/ the formula 1 tints, especially on a black car, please post. Thanks! :smile:

Here's my car for your viewing pleasure :smile: Sorry again that it's not the actual car of discussion in this forum, but this car will remain my daily driver once I get my NSX (b/c I won't be able to afford anything else! :biggrin: )

Ok, it's just a link I don't know sh*t about pictures, avatars, embedding pics, etc.

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8571&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Edit: I'm practicing! Let's see if this works.

12130Ford_Probe_Pic_1005.jpg

Damn, I'm smarter than I thought! :biggrin:

You can see a bunch of pictures on my website for Suntek HP Charcoal films, Infinity OP, Huper Optik ceramic and V-Kool jobs that I have done. I am not a Formula 1 dealer and haven't used their films but I would suggest you to go with a film that is a hybrid which is a half dyed and half metallized film. If you want to learn more about window tinting, you can check out www.tintdude.com when you get a chance. Prices will vary from state to state but the main thing that you are looking for is not the best price but the best installer. Anyone can sell you a tint job but if you want a quality installation, it is all about the installer. Make sure you see some of the jobs that he or she has done and if you like what you see, then go with it. Good luck.

Back