Ford GT40?

KGP

Legendary Member
Okay you automotive trivia experts; a recent discussion with a Ford GT40 (new) engineer revieled the origins of why the car was named "GT40." The correct winner gets the super large give-away prize for this month.:p
293369_3_full.jpg

The original car was 40 inches high.

Interestingly enough, Ford no longer has the rights to the GT40 name. Thus, the new car will be called the Ford GT.

-Jim

Jimbo, my buddy and I are sitting here stunned. We thought that the question would go unanswered for quite a while. Sheez, it's almost as if were listening in. We were also talking about how Ford no longer has the name rights also.

That was a no brainer if one has been watching the coverage of the auto shows ........ ;)

No if we could go back to the contests that Lud posted with sponsor goodies ........

I think this is a car that more than a few NSX owner would like to have done to a Gen2 NSX model as far a specs.

Unfortunatly even if you have the $ to buy a GT, us common folk can't get one, I have tried !!

Any other questions about the GT40 in original form, submit to the Ferrari folks. The car ate their lunch along with the Cobra for just a few years.

Jimbo said:
The original car was 40 inches high.

Interestingly enough, Ford no longer has the rights to the GT40 name. Thus, the new car will be called the Ford GT.

-Jim

Do you know why they don't have the rights any longer? And what the reasoning behind the name it now has is?

92NSX said:
Do you know why they don't have the rights any longer? And what the reasoning behind the name it now has is?
Found this on the net. If true, then Ford wasn't willing to pay the price asked by whoever owns the GT40 name. I guess Ford wasn't smart enough to license the name when it was first produced.

To quote the Motor Magazine, February 2002, page 12.
"But the new GT40 is bigger and longer than it's namesake (which stood just 40 inches tall) and is seen by Mays' as Ford's 'supercar'. The remake stands four inches taller and was almost named the GT44 until Ford was able to buy back the rights to the GT40 name from the American Saffir company, which had been licenced to produce parts for the GT40."

PHOEN$X said:
Found this on the net. If true, then Ford wasn't willing to pay the price asked by whoever owns the GT40 name. I guess Ford wasn't smart enough to license the name when it was first produced.

To quote the Motor Magazine, February 2002, page 12.
"But the new GT40 is bigger and longer than it's namesake (which stood just 40 inches tall) and is seen by Mays' as Ford's 'supercar'. The remake stands four inches taller and was almost named the GT44 until Ford was able to buy back the rights to the GT40 name from the American Saffir company, which had been licenced to produce parts for the GT40."

From what I hear also, when they approached the company about selling the rights to the name, they wanted something like $40 million. Ford promptly said thanks but no thanks. Hence, don't be greedy. ;)

Back