Ford GT reaches 0-60mph in 3.5 sec!!!

OK OK, I know, very very old and beat up topic

But can we really over stress the hype of this car? I mean, 0-60 in 3.5 sec and 0-100 in 7.8 !!!! and tops off at 205 mph and all this and it only costs ford less than 150,000 US!! Is someone cheating here or are all the European car manufacturers missing something.

Yeah, yeah, I know that the Ford GT depends on its long gear ratios to deliver these stratospheric figures, but still WTF!! The only other car that can show better figures than these and is still in production today is the ENZO! . Bare in mind that these numbers were given by a British car magazine and these car magazines tend to give conservative figures for rear wheel drive vehicles ( I have no idea why ). So, I think that an American car magazine would give numbers more like ( 0-60 in 3.3 sec) which should upset Newton’s grave.

Ferrari slayer? I think that’s underestimating it. It should be called Bang per Buck miracle of the modern era.

By the way, they seem to have fixed the notchy gearbox in the earlier models because this magazine is complementing the smooth shifts.

Needles to say, if I had 150,000 US sitting around, hell if I had 300,000 sitting around, I’d buy it in a heart beat. The looks and heritage alone are more than worth it. Go Ford GT

http://www.autocarmag.com/RoadTest_Summary.asp?RT=209359

I agree, this thing is a monster. I love the Speed racer styling too. How is their build quality, reliability, and interior materials/set up?

Is it actually for sale @ $150K? I thought it was going for more than that.

-Awais

According to the magazine article, the price is set to 120,000 pounds....which is roughly $219K USD.

-Awais

I think a few things come into play here, some of this is just opinion so take it for what it is worth.

This is a flag ship car for Ford, because of this certain things can happen.

1. They don't need to make money on this car, people will come to dealerships just to see it and dealers are hoping they will purchase something else that they have in stock.

2. I don't believe Ford would let this car have poor build quality simply because it is a flagship car and will be mostly hand built. I think Ford is going to make sure that the dealers service this car to a higher standard then the rest of their product line.

3. They used a large displacement engine and used a supercharger so getting the kind of horsepower is not taxing the engine too much and isn't doing anything too fancy. Fancy means expensive when it comes to most things.

I think the Carrera GT will be faster than the Ford GT also, it is lighter and has more power.

As far as the car being a great performer for the money I would definitly agree, I think GM could take their Corvette and create a 125K car that would match or exceed the performance of the Ford GT, but in the end you would still have a corvette.

I might be a little biased though, I am second on the list to get one at my friends dealership. They are only guaranteed one per year so there is a good chance that I will have to wait for a second year model to get mine, but there is a chance they might get two the first year.

I can't wait!!!

I also think Honda needs to create something with similiar performance in their next NSX to be competitive in the marketplace.

O-Ace said:
According to the magazine article, the price is set to 120,000 pounds....which is roughly $219K USD.

-Awais

Ford has already anounced pricing here in the U.S. and it will be slightly below 150K MSRP, but most dealers are marking them up.

I recently saw a prototype at Borla(I posted this awhile ago- been a few months now). It was sent to them by Ford for header and exhaust R&D, to be marketed in their parts performance division. Now that car is a piece of work. Don't be fooled into thinking this is just a basic car. That thing was massive(viper like) and built mostly out of aluminum, with a full underbody bellypan. This one happened to be exposed carbon fiber and was very, very crude preproduction unit. Oh, I can't help but mention that Ford is lying about it being 500HP. Borla dynoed the car multiple times and the RWHP stock was 560. Yes, you read that correct, 560 to the rear wheels. And, it needed tuning and it was running OK per Borla R&D dept. This was before any exhaust and intake mods were done. Make no mistake, this thing is a monster and will probably give everything a run for its money. Are you listening Enzo?

BTW, I sat in it(very early prototype) and it is bare bones. This one did not have the tops of the doors that allowed easy entry, more like a normal door at the roofline. Not easy to get in, sit comfortably or even see out of. This one had a full roll cage and you could tell it was put thru the ringer by many Ford testers. Not for the faint of heart! :eek:

ANYTIME said:
I recently saw a prototype at Borla(I posted this awhile ago- been a few months now). It was sent to them by Ford for header and exhaust R&D, to be marketed in their parts performance division. Now that car is a piece of work. Don't be fooled into thinking this is just a basic car. That thing was massive(viper like) and built mostly out of aluminum, with a full underbody bellypan. This one happened to be exposed carbon fiber and was very, very crude preproduction unit. Oh, I can't help but mention that Ford is lying about it being 500HP. Borla dynoed the car multiple times and the RWHP stock was 560. Yes, you read that correct, 560 to the rear wheels. And, it needed tuning and it was running OK per Borla R&D dept. This was before any exhaust and intake mods were done. Make no mistake, this thing is a monster and will probably give everything a run for its money. Are you listening Enzo?

BTW, I sat in it(very early prototype) and it is bare bones. This one did not have the tops of the doors that allowed easy entry, more like a normal door at the roofline. Not easy to get in, sit comfortably or even see out of. This one had a full roll cage and you could tell it was put thru the ringer by many Ford testers. Not for the faint of heart! :eek:

Ford has upped its claimed horsepower to 550hp, it is able to put down 560rwhp, that means at a 15% loss the car is really putting out over 658hp! As I would love to believe the production car would have that type of power, I think that the motor they were testing must of been tuned a little higher than normal.

I just read that article at the link above and I believe that to be the most favorable review of an American car I have ever read by the British press.

There is a few on ebay right now available for ordering. Some are asking 225k and one has an auction for bidding over the MSRP. They say the cost is 139k plus options and the bidding is already up to 32k over sticker price.

jlindy said:
There is a few on ebay right now available for ordering. Some are asking 225k and one has an auction for bidding over the MSRP. They say the cost is 139k plus options and the bidding is already up to 32k over sticker price.

The seller must want a lot more for the oppurtunity to buy the car though, he is asking for 25K at the auction close another 25K after you order it from Ford and the balance upon delivery. So he thinks he is going to get over 50K just for his place in line. I am amazed that people are willing to spend 32K over sticker for the car, I know I wouldn't but some people want to be the first ones on the block with one.

Carguy! said:
Are they already both sold? If not sign me up for both of them!

Then sign me up as your adopted son.:)

92NSX said:
Our dealer is getting 2 of them. $150k.
I thought you had said those two were already sold, for something like ~$250,000? :confused:

92NSX said:
I have already inquired about them for you a few months ago but you told me to not worry about it since you were already in line elsewhere.
:confused:

You said your dealer was charging over 200K for each of them, at that price I would wait in line to buy one at MSRP. If they are available for 150K I will take both of them and can send you a deposit for them tomorrow.

O-Ace said:

-Awais

That’s in britian. Over there, all cars are inflated in price above their real price, and that goes double for Amercian cars, so you can’t make price comparisons with them.

Carguy! said:

I think the Carrera GT will be faster than the Ford GT also, it is lighter and has more power.

As far as the car being a great performer for the money I would definitly agree, I think GM could take their Corvette and create a 125K car that would match or exceed the performance of the Ford GT, but in the end you would still have a corvette.

This same car magazine, made a drag test not long ago which included the Enzo, Carrera GT and MacMerc SLR.

Both the Carrera and SLR got 0-60 in 3.8 sec

If I remember correctly the enzo got 0-60 in 3.5 sec

But anyway, it’s hard to say that the Ford GT is just another American mass product one dimensional sports car like the Corvette. After all, this is the car that went up head to head in a blood thirsty battle against Ferrari! And it actually won 4 times! It humiliated Ferrari, that has never been done before. Only Porsche could ever put up a fight against Ferrari.

The name Ford GT alone is worth appraisal; all these massive performance numbers are an added bonus.

Carguy! said:
You said your dealer was charging over 200K for each of them, at that price I would wait in line to buy one at MSRP. If they are available for 150K I will take both of them and can send you a
deposit for them tomorrow.

I talked originally with one of the salesman that told me that. However upon further investigation and talking with the salesmanager, I was told that they had plans on selling them for $150k.
I apologize if I gave you bad info. :(

Back