• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For the Grammar Nazi.....

Cambridge Spelling Research

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Neat, eh?

Pretty neat I think..sorry if this is OLD NEWS :biggrin:

davidkimchee said:
you mean the spelling nazi!!!!

bad mojorator!!!

oooopppssssss... I thought they were ONE Entity :biggrin:

I think it might be a repost, but cool none the less.

I 'read' the same thing a while back. Sadly it seems as many use that as an excuse for not spelling words properly and assuming everyone will understand what they are trying to say.

Theer is mroe to thsi phenomneon thna metes teh eye.

Actually, the brain is a staggeringly good pattern recognition engine. It can read even words whose first and last letters are not in the right place.

The first letter + the combination of letters, sort of in the right place is sufficient. It is easy to read "teh" and "thsi" even though the latter could properly be "shit" instead of "this." The brain gets an immediate analog "sense" of the word and goes from there.

Back