For Cdn. 91-94 owners

Hi all,

I'm currently a Honda s2000 owner thinking of making the transition to an NSX by next year. I'm thinking of picking up 91-94 NSX. Being that the car is quite old , warranty and maintenance are really the only thing holding me back.

I have a few questions regarding my possible next purchase:

Overall basic maintenance:
I currently enjoy doing my own oil, filter, air filter, spark plugs changes , eventually brakes etc. etc.. myself because the s2000 is so easy to work on. How easy is it for NSX owners to do their own basic maintenance ? Do you all you owners do this or take it into the shop or dealer ?

Winter Driving:
I currently have 4 winter snows and drive my s2000 in the winter on "not so bad days" (never in heavy snow or freezing rain) but most certainly on those mild precip days and of course on cold dry days. So do you winter drive your NSX's ?

Thank you so much for reading this entire post.

jpm

Hi Montoya,

My NSX has been in my garage for only 2 months now but my understanding (and intent) is that DIY basic maintenance is easy with the right equipment.

What part of the country are you in? I'm in Calgary and would like to take the car out possibly a couple of days throughout the winter when the chinook gods provide dry roads.Therefore it makes no sense for me to buy all-season or M+S tires for those couple of days but if I lived on the coast I'm sure that would factor into my choice of tires (I still doubt I'd have more than one set though). There are a handful of regulars here who live in Vancouver/Victoria, perhaps they could chime in here.

Good luck with your search. Finding a good one at a reasonable price is tricky but well worth it.

Remember, you have a handy link on every web page here at NSXprime - by clicking on the word FAQ in the red bar at the top of the page.

montoya said:
So do you winter drive your NSX's ?
Yes, for the last two winters (it's my daily driver year round) so I think I can speak from experience although winters in Regina tend to have more snow and less ice/freezing rain than Toronto.

Just get yourself a cheap set of '91-94 OEM rims and mount snow tires on them like you've done for your S2000. They won't make it perform like summer but you'll be able to continue to drive it everyday if that's your objective.

A bra is a must to keep front end damage from sand/salt to a minimum (I know they use more salt in Toronto; not sure about sand). I haven't found corrosion to be an issue .. granted I don't see as much salt here but I do park the car in heated parkade so buildups of snow/salt do get lots of oppt'y to melt/corrode.

Here's a writeup of some of my experiences:
http://www.nsxsc.com/html/body_article27.html

Hey Montoya,
We were at the Toronto Motorsport track (Cayuga) a couple of weeks ago for APEX Performance tracking day. There were 3 NSX's along with a few S2000's. Were you one of S2000s?

If you can fit it into your schedule, we're going up to Cayuga again on Saturday Sept. 14th. It is the exotics lapping day put on by Bieri Motors.
You should come just to see Rui eat up Vipers and Ferraris with his '91 Black NSX - He kicks ass!
You can find out more on the TMP website.
Daria

i dont drive my NSX in the winter at all..

Roads are too bad in Edmonton to drive in the winter..salt is not a concern here ..i believe they use very minimal salt with the sand here..but may be something to look out for in Toronto..

i do know another NSX that drives his NSX all year round and he uses Michelin Snow Tires.. i forget the name of them but i can tell you that those tires are the best snow tires that Michelin makes ..

He tells me he gets superb traction with those tires...

Back