• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For any pilots on here

My next door neighbor is a retired United Airlines captain, and he sent me this video. I think those of us who fly will find it especially meaningful, even if you fly as a passenger. It was prepared by a retiring Continental Airlines captain.

The soundtrack adds to the impact, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3gKegWsv9g

I am a pilot but only in GA.

That video is really quite simple but moving and thought provoking at the same time. Is there really any other profession where so many people collectively put their trust in one or two people in such a vulnerable enviroment? All the partners, extended families, businesses, employers, employees etc, etc who depend on the safe journey and return of the cargo to continue (or improve) life afterwards.......

People don't care. Passengers just want their $199 tickets and management just wants more and more consessions. The video was self indulgent and delusionable. Maybe 15 years ago, but that sentament and respect for the profession is long gone.

sent from my Evo4

People don't care. Passengers just want their $199 tickets and management just wants more and more consessions. The video was self indulgent and delusionable. Maybe 15 years ago, but that sentament and respect for the profession is long gone.

sent from my Evo4

Well I guess that's because of complacency that folk take it all for granted nowadays. I guess from the the modern day perspective what you say is true but it still doesn't detract from the simple fact that everyones lives is in the pilots hands.....

Re: I'm still here, thanks to a pilot

For years, I sat in the back of my skydiving Cessna 182 with all the confidence in the world in my pilots. And flight after flight, it was a boring, dozing ride to 10,000 feet. Then one day, I happened to be kneeling in the "co-pilot" position on another routine take off. At 100 feet AGL over a residential neighborhood with kids playing in the streets below, the engine coughed and cut back to 1500 RPM, not much more than idle. Looking at the gauges and what he was doing, I could see everything was "to the firewall" and correct. In a heart-beat, we both knew we were looking at "the big one."

With no time for feeling, analyzing or 2nd thoughts, I pointed to a debris and rock strewn vacant (future school) lot and screamed to put it down there. On the verge of a stall, he sank it in over power lines and set it down under control. The plane was totaled but we all walked away and within minutes were staring at cameras and reporters. Since they knew us, the skydivers, the reporters were all over us and never even interviewed him. But since he had Alaska bush seat time, I was not surprised when he shrugged it off like it was just another day and all part of the job.

His name is Chirs and although he couldn't skydive worth a lick, he sure could handle a fully loaded airplane. I'm ashamed to say I don't know where he is today.

I am a pilot but only in GA.

That video is really quite simple but moving and thought provoking at the same time. Is there really any other profession where so many people collectively put their trust in one or two people in such a vulnerable enviroment? All the partners, extended families, businesses, employers, employees etc, etc who depend on the safe journey and return of the cargo to continue (or improve) life afterwards.......

Air Traffic Controllers.

Well I guess that's because of complacency that folk take it all for granted nowadays. I guess from the the modern day perspective what you say is true but it still doesn't detract from the simple fact that everyones lives is in the pilots hands.....

Ride Amtrak, you'll never take flying for granted again. My ass is still sore from that 10 hour ride in that crappy seat.........2 years ago.

And the pilot puts his trust in the maintenance team that keeps his airplane operational.

Back