FOLLOWERS FOR AFTERMARKET CAMS

Gen 1 3.2 upcoming NA build - I’m wondering about cam followers on new aftermarket cams. I have a set of 2004 followers with 24k on them that look nice, but my old school thinking tells me that would be risky and I will need all new followers. Since these might not even be available(?), my mind is going to light bead blast/walnut shell blast/WPC/or even sandpaper – but with higher lift cams especially I’m not a risk taker looking to “try” things to save money here. Is there a consensus among the camshaft suppliers/builders – Driving Ambition/Toda/others? TIA

I bought brand new OEM followers for my build. Ran me about $1200 for all 12 sets a few years ago. The part number is 14620-PR7-A00, pricing has gone up 30% since I bought them. if you go this route, order from Japan, Acura USA wants an eye watering $350 EACH. From Japanese dealers its $100-130.

Worth it? probably not, but engine building involves a lot of paying more for more peace of mind, especially for a C30 where a proper N/A build is going to be north of $25k, so you ask yourself "what's another thousand at this point?".

Most people in the Honda world don't bother though, and are just fine even with far more aggressive camshafts than anything you can get for a C3x. WPC and call it a day would probably be the simple way to go if they aren't showing visible wear. You could also do DLC coating, that has been used in some OEM applications such as the 991 GT3 (where it's somewhat famous for flaking off) and C8 Z06 engines.

Last edited:
Back