Florida Cars

Probably a stupid question, but once in a while I run across a used car for sale and they note "Florida car". I never notice "Minnesota car" or "Iowa car", etc. Is there any reason why a car from Florida is so special that it gets a little bit of distinction? Or is this a car from Florida a detriment and the seller is just providing full disclosure?

Shaun

They are probably trying to point out there is no snow or ice, so the car has never been driven on salt. If you've ever seen a Minnesota car, you know how bad this can be. :eek: Although if they're near the coast, they would have a lot of salt in the air.... That's my guess.

I think one important factor in buying a 10+ year old car is the level of humidity where the car lives. Out here in Colorado's dry climate, rubber seals and belts deteriorate much quicker than a car living in high humidity. That, and Colorado cars are notorious for rock chips, particularly mine:-)

-Will

Thanks for the replies. Possibly the good weather and higher humidity is a selling feature, although salt air would be a concern if not for the superior foresight of building the car out of aluminum.:smile:

I read that Florida cars have a higher chance of being flooded due to the hurricane season. So, a non-aluminum car is more prone to rust. I would guess that you would need to open up the carpet to check for rust.

Re: Florida Cars...no tan lines!!!

Shaun Ray said:
Probably a stupid question, but once in a while I run across a used car for sale and they note "Florida car". I never notice "Minnesota car" or "Iowa car", etc. Is there any reason why a car from Florida is so special that it gets a little bit of distinction? Or is this a car from Florida a detriment and the seller is just providing full disclosure?

Shaun
Floridian living way north...North Carolina

I hear North Carolina can have humidity and hurricanes as well. Maybe "North Carolina car" should be a selling point!

By the way, I bought my NSX from an owner in Tallahassee a couple of years ago. 1st owner was in Tampa. Personally, I wouldn't have paid $10 more for a car in Florida but have been happy with the car none the less.

Funny, but I do notice some residue on metallic parts that are probably due to salt in the air (metal bracket that holds the cell phone module was the worst).

NRG said:
I read that Florida cars have a higher chance of being flooded due to the hurricane season.

You have a better chance of having a palm tree fall on it than getting flooded, unless you live on the beach or in one of the old low lying areas in St. Pete/Clearwater. Most of Florida drains pretty well even during the worst hurricanes we have had the past couple of years. Now if you lived in southern Louisiana lately...

Salt is not an issue in Florida either, unless you live directly on the beach or down in the keys. If you live a mile or more inland you will never get salt residue on your vehicle, even on the windiest days. I have lived here in Florida for 34 years (20 on the gulf coast, and 14 here in Melbourne) and none of my cars, or my parents cars ever developed rust problems.

You can find good cars and bad cars everywhere. Its just that with certain places in the mid-west, parts of California, and in the Southeast, you have a better chance of finding good older cars than you do in the Northeast.

Shumdit said:
I think what the ad is trying to say is that you may luck out and find a kilo hidden in the body of the car.:biggrin:

I better start pulling off body panels. Maybe watch some reruns of Miami Vice for seach tips.:cool:

Salt an issue in the Northern climates, not down here. I beleive florida is better known for the ability to "clean" titles. Buyer beware.

Armando

I've seen the same tag line on So. Cal. cars for sale...sellers must be implying no weather/salt issues like perhaps in other parts of the country.

NsXMas said:
I avoid Florida cars.

I have read here and elsewhere that it's easier to wash a title in Florida, so by buying a Florida car, you may be buying a salvaged / stolen vehicle.

See, this is the kind of stuff that makes me wonder why anyone would specify their car is from Florida when they put it up for sale! You would think Florida residents would be the most aware of thier title washing ability and not broadcast that the car they are selling on a national level is from Florida. Obviously, the potential buyer is going to figure out the car is from Florida, but I'd think the negative aspects of potential salt air damage and a washed title may be associated with the state. Sure, the information is going to be disclosed, but if I had a small dent in my NSX, I would put in the title of my ad: NSX w/small dent for sale. I'd let that information be disclosed after the shopper opens up the ad to get more details.

Anyway, I was just pondering the question. Really didn't mean for the thread to go this far.

Shaun

The biggest problem IMO in Florida is the Sun, is brutal, now flooding is possible but only in really bad neighbohoods not the neighbohoods that you find Nsx's ... now the tittle thing .. we have a huge port that exports tatolled cars to South America but i'm not sure , i guess that kind problem you can find everywhere, BUT i bought 2 cars (2 that i sold) in Boston/Rhode Island from auctions that a cousin of mine works with (most cars from North) ,,, let me tell you ,.. NICE 01-02-03 or even 04 cars with rust ,,, amazing, i've inspected lots of them while looking for flaws and rust was a issue in lots of them + some suspension issues since too many portholes .. those dealer guys actually like to come to orlando since you can find more sports cars in good condition down here :biggrin:

OScar

oscarhmoyano said:
The biggest problem IMO in Florida is the Sun, is brutal, now flooding is possible but only in really bad neighbohoods not the neighbohoods that you find Nsx's ... now the tittle thing .. we have a huge port that exports tatolled cars to South America but i'm not sure , i guess that kind problem you can find everywhere, BUT i bought 2 cars (2 that i sold) in Boston/Rhode Island from auctions that a cousin of mine works with (most cars from North) ,,, let me tell you ,.. NICE 01-02-03 or even 04 cars with rust ,,, amazing, i've inspected lots of them while looking for flaws and rust was a issue in lots of them + some suspension issues since too many portholes .. those dealer guys actually like to come to orlando since you can find more sports cars in good condition down here :biggrin:

OScar

I dunno about this "SUNNY FLORIDA" thing I hear about all the time...I just spent 4 days there last week.. Thurs-Monday and I only saw the sun 2 times at best...the rest of the time it rained and was HOT....:eek: :mad:

I even drove to MIAMI from Orlando and got to experience RAIN sooo heavy that I had to reduce my speed to almost crawling just to be able to see...

Is this Typical wheather for Florida for Early July??

Anyway, back on topic, I think they label it as "Florida" cars because of Climate...no snow (I think) and supposedly sunny all year long.

Mike

Mojorator said:
I dunno about this "SUNNY FLORIDA" thing I hear about all the time...I just spent 4 days there last week.. Thurs-Monday and I only saw the sun 2 times at best...the rest of the time it rained and was HOT....:eek: :mad:

I even drove to MIAMI from Orlando and got to experience RAIN sooo heavy that I had to reduce my speed to almost crawling just to be able to see...

Is this Typical wheather for Florida for Early July??

Anyway, back on topic, I think they label it as "Florida" cars because of Climate...no snow (I think) and supposedly sunny all year long.

Mike

That weather really isn't normal you came in a bad week i guess although is has been great over here on the west cost.
As for the rain that is typical I've seen it rain across my street but not on my side kinda wierd sometimes.

Back