• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Flight Simulator Rides !

Well, I have to say that two new Captains have made the list.
Congratulations go out to Capt. Arshad and Capt. Dave for a spectacular performance in the A-320 Flight Simulator.

Both pilots completed successful Take offs and Landings. They now know what real speed is all about ! Takeoff was a little faster than the top end of the NSX ( 290 km / hr)

I salute both of you !!

Congratulations go out to Capt. Arshad and Capt. Dave for a spectacular performance in the A-320 Flight Simulator.

Both pilots completed successful Take offs and Landings. They now know what real speed is all about ! Takeoff was a little faster than the top end of the NSX ( 290 km / hr)

Do you have picts? I can't believe Dave was behind the wheel of anything doing over 120 km/h!:eek:

Truth be told, I set that puppy down on an aircraft carrier! Rick said it could never be done, and that even he was not capable of doing it, but I took that bird down the meatball right into a perfect 3 wire. Taking off again was more difficult!

Ok that was just absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!

Ever since I was a little kid, and even through high school my dream was to become a pilot. For various reasons this never materialized for me, but I've always aspired to take flying lessons one day and make it a reality. Well last night Rick made my lifelong dream come true!

Just to put it in perspective, this is a $30M simulator which is 100% true to the original. Rick mentioned that if a part fails on a real plane, they could literally replace it with one from the simulator. It costs several thousand dollars an hour to run this beast and at one point Air Canada was offering aeroplan members 30 mins in the simulator for 100,000 aeroplan points. Well Rick managed to get me and Dave 4 hours in the cockpit!!

The experience was just unbelievable! Rick lead us through all the preflight checks and gave us some basics on flight aerodynamics. He then decided to take a chance and let me try the initial takeoff with Rick as First Officer. I needed some help keeping the plane lined up during takeoff, but lifted off nicely and we got a chance to tour around the city. At the end of my first turn, we used autopilot to guide us in and then just before landing he put it in manual so I could land it myself. The landing went pretty smooth although I was a little slow on applying the brakes after the reverse thrusters had slowed us down sufficiently.

It was then Dave's turn and after nearly killing us on takeoff, we buzzed the CN tower and he managed to execute a PERFECT landing. I dare say it was even better than Ricks landing :) Of course Rick started to psyche us out by adding thunderstorms and turbulence but it didn't faze Dave!

Afterwards Rick allowed me to take off and land with Dave as First Officer and Rick sitting behind us. This was particularly nerve racking since he couldn't just take over if we screwed anything up. On my landing, he again guided us in with autopilot and then turned it off as we went into our glide slope. The landing went ok, except that I raised the nose a little too high after our main wheels touched down causing the plane to start taking off again. Luckily Rick was right behind me and helped bring the nose down for a slightly bumpy but successful landing!

Overall it was quite simply the experience of a lifetime and a dream come true for me. Rick, I just want to publicly send out a big THANK YOU for taking your personal time out to let us experience this.

Here are some pics from last night. Sorry about the quality, these are from the camera on my iPhone and it was dark in the cockpit. These first shots show the simulator from outside and shots of the various panels in the cockpit.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 67
The first two shots are of the separate computer that Rick could control. This is the instructors panel where he can start the aircraft in any of the 15,000 airports in the database, setup weather conditions, induce equipment failure etc.

Next two shots are of me and Dave lined up on runway IL-06 at Pearson for an early morning flight.

Last shot is the cockpit of the Boeing 777 Simulator.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 62
I'm surprised the terrorist screening process didn't prevent Dave from being allowed to learn how to fly a plane - or is that why the black helecopters are always circling above his house? :)

If you want a job as a First Officer.... the last class of 12 that were hired, only one showed up. We can't find enough pilots to fill the seats and we dropped the official limits to 600TT & 100ME. Unofficially, if you have the AMEL they will take you. They wonder why they can't find new hires... maybe it's the $21,000 starting salary. You think?

Glad you guys got to play in the box.

If you want a job as a First Officer.... the last class of 12 that were hired, only one showed up. We can't find enough pilots to fill the seats and we dropped the official limits to 600TT & 100ME. Unofficially, if you have the AMEL they will take you. They wonder why they can't find new hires... maybe it's the $21,000 starting salary. You think?

Are you kidding me? You clearly have to be well-educated and go through a lot of specialized training to become a pilot. And you come out of that and make $21k as First Officer!? (I think it's much higher here in Canada, but Rick can correct me if I'm wrong). That is absolutely absurd. People flipping burgers with zero education make more money than that!

Glad you guys got to play in the box.

Can you help me out with the TLA's? (three letter abbreviations)

TT = Twin Turbo
ME = Selfish
AMEL = American Male Enhancement Lotion

I just don't get what about that helps you fly a plane:confused: :confused: :confused:

Can you help me out with the TLA's? (three letter abbreviations)

TLA refers to " Thrust Lever Angle" Since the thrust levers do not move on Fly by Wire thrust levers, we gauge what the computers are commanding to the thrust by the angle on the N1's.

I am assuming this was a real question......

BTW, you can refer all technical questions to Captain Arshad. He is very well versed.
Are you kidding me? (I think it's much higher here in Canada, but Rick can correct me if I'm wrong).

Salaries vary depending mostly on the type of operator you work for. A "commuter" airline will not pay much on this side of the boarder either. This is mainly because of the aircraft type ( generally less than 90 passengers ) and the routes they fly ( city hoppers ) It is however more of a stepping stone for most. Bush pilots or Instructor pilots (another route most take)also do not get a healthy salary. ( I went from Instructor pilot to Main Line ) Once you get in the the "Main line" of the major carriers, the money routes and benefits are a totally different world on both sides of the boarder.

But if you really want to make money, do what Stu does and you can buy a house with an indoor pool. ;)

Last edited:
Well lets see.... Air Canada new hire makes...

1st yr $37.3k
2nd yr $42.4k
3rd yr $46.8k if on EMB 175/190 or $68.8k on the A320

That's at least 2 years of eating Ramon noodles and figuring out which bills to pay.

http://airlinepilotcentral.com

As far as the "commuters" flying... take a look at Air Canada Jaz's route map http://www.flyjazz.ca/english/ourComm/routeMap.asp

I remember seeing Jaz planes in ATL, CLT, BNA... which makes a long commute to Canada.

Wow, that's really unfortunate. You'd think with that caliber of education and training, entry level pilots would be making a whole lot more.

Looking at that link you provided, for Air Canada if you are 2nd year Captain on an A320 with a minimum monthly guarantee of 65 hours, you make $152/hr = approx $10k/month. That's $120k/yr. FO's make a lot less.

BTW, Dave, I know you have delusions of flying with that big ass wing on your car, but it was actually the other Dave (Crawford) who went in the simulator :)

BTW, you can refer all technical questions to Captain Arshad. He is very well versed.

Hehehe. BTW, acronyms like FAYOL and VEPNA, these are universal right? I did a quick search in google and only came up with references to YYZ. In any case, that was highly inspirational and has renewed my enthusiasm to get some flying lessons!

Last edited:
That's at least 2 years of eating Ramon noodles and figuring out which bills to pay.

No Doubt ! It was Mac and cheese for me.........

I remember seeing Jaz planes in ATL, CLT, BNA... which makes a long commute to Canada.

I was speaking more of the long haul stuff like China, Japan, Tel Aviv and South America etc. on wide body aircraft Just letting the guys know the "apples vs apples" CL65. Most guys outside the aviation world may not know the difference between a Dash 8 and a B-777. ( I know my wife doesn't )

Looking at that link you provided, for Air Canada if you are 2nd year Captain on an A320 with a minimum monthly guarantee of 65 hours, you make $152/hr = approx $10k/month. That's $120k/yr. FO's make a lot less.

According to the website, the most jr A320 CA was a 2000 date of hire, so that is 7 years an FO. Rick probably know more accurately what upgrade times are running. But no matter how you look at it, the profession (mostly the work rules) isn't what it use to be. The salaries will slowly inch upwards, but the days of a part-time job with full time pay are gone forever.

Last edited:
Dave ( Biobanker ) knows the truth ! When I left the simulator for a pee brake, I actually took Dave D up in the Concorde Simulator. He's goooood. He was being modest when he said he landed on the aircraft carrier. He actually landed the Concorde on the tip of the CN Tower antenna !! I believe the length ( diameter ) is a whopping 20 inches....Man he's goooood

Besides, Crawford couldn't have been there since he didn't even post a comment. I know he crapped his pants ( and made Arshad and I do the same ) . He may still be in shock !!

the profession (mostly the work rules) isn't what it use to be.
Can't argue with that ! I am one of the fortunate ones that has been there for 30 years. But for newcomers, It is a different career. About 15 years ago, the Yanks started this 2 tier wage system ( new pay scale for new hires ) Of course us Canucks adopted the same and if I'm not mistaken they may have even brought in a 3rd tier. If you were hired before 1990, you'd be on the highest pay tier. Today however......

But if you really want to make money, do what Stu does and you can buy a house with an indoor pool. ;)

I get paid to take people's shit, in case anyone is wondering:wink:

You guys are really lucky. Prior to being dumb enough to fax my resume in to an airline I would have given my left nut to get into a class D sim. I stumbled into this job by accident. I had been flying since I was 16 and owned a Cessna 310 for 10 years when I sold my business. I ran into a friend who was flight instructing and he told me to fax my resume me in...

Unfortunately we never get a chance to "play" in the sim as the the time is tight for the curriculum that we have to accomplish. Although we did attempt an inverted ILS flown with the standby Attitude Indicator - all four EFIS panels blank. Even with our great CRM (Crew Resource Management) - didn't turn out well!

Now I bitch and moan every 6 months about recurrent and the two days in the Sim.

AMEL =" Aircraft Minimum Equipment List "
(Airbus 340 Captain ..22000 hrs + )

MEL = Min Equip List (3 letter abrv) :)

AMEL = Airplane Multi Engine Land
AMES = Airplane Multi Engine Sea
ASEL = Airplane Single Engine Land
ASES = Airplane Single Engine Sea

Back of my FAA lic

Air Transport Pilot
Airplane Multi Engine Land
CL-65
B737