First time in San Francisco, what to do?

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I will be in San Francisco on vacation in mid May and I would kindly appreciate your suggestions on things to do & see. I'm sure the city is overwheming and we've only got 5 days. I'm in my early 30's, she mid 20's. Our tastes range from jazz to club/ lounge scene. I'm also in the restaurant biz and I love checking out any destination restaurants, particularly Asian/ fusion. I would also like to do some sightseeing, driving, wine tasting, and shopping. Please let me know of any "must do's" while I'm in town. I know I want to see the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, a meal at Slanted Door & Butterfly, rent a car & drive along the coast and to wine country, Fisherman's Wharf, etc. Any specific driving routes or vinyard tour you guys know of, I need make reservations & come up / some sort of itinerary soon!

Thanks a bunch,
Eddie

I personally think the food in Napa is better and more reliable that in SF. That is my opinion, but SF has REALLY great food, it is just easier for me to find good food in Napa. Since you are going there anyway, it is worth saving some of you "nicer" dinners for there.

If you feel like spending your kid's college education, you can try to get reservations at the French Laundry in Yontville. The last time I tried they were 3-4 months out, but it is supposed to be one of the top restaurants in the country.

If I were in SF, I like to go to Filmore St (small boutiques and a nice street to just walk on), Castro district (Same as above, but IMO better food, and it is a gay district. Nice, VERY safe (walking at night is not really a problem in most touristy areas in SF IMO, but Castro is particularly safe), Coit Tower is kinda fun in that you can see nearly all of the city. But if you want the best view of SF w/o being inside of the building, Twin Peaks is really the best spot. Bring a cup of soup to the peak and eat it with your honey. Even when it is warm out, Twin Peaks has been on the colder side every time we have been there.

Since I grew up a stone's throw away, well 1.5 hours away, I generally try to avoid Fisherman's Warf,... but I can see why you would want to go. Food there is not good, better to pay less and get better food elsewhere.

If I were to skip one of the Regular sites, it would be Pier 39. It has gone way downhill and is not all that interesting anymore. If you have kids I guess it would be fine, but... I would go the Gheredelli's Square before I hit Pier 39.

If you go to the Embarcadero Center in North SF, the Hyatt has a restaurant called the Equinox which is cliché, but fun (we have been there twice and had a good meal each time). Its a rotating restaurant giving you a view of a good part of the city.

The De Young museum, in the Golden Gate Park, just reopened after a renovation and I believe is showing F.L. Wright stuff right now. My wife and I are going on Friday and can report back if you want.

Sausilito, just north of the GG bridge gives nice views of the bay and of North SF. They have some small shops, small galleries, and decent restaurants. They also have some nice hotels and B&B's there. The Restaurants used to be better in Sausilito, but we have not had a truly great meal there in a while.

I am not into the night scene. I prefer an easy stroll or (my wife hate this about me) taking night photography of buildings and landmarks. So I am not helpful with what to do after nightfall.

SF locals will I am sure have better advice, but tourist to tourist, these are the things my wife and I like to do. I am 30 as is my wife (for reference)

If you're going to rent a car, the drive to Santa Cruz/Monterey is really nice. Would be fun for a day. Monterey aquarium is touristy but still really cool and you can hang out on the Santa Cruz beach/boardwalk too. There's camping places nearby if you want to save 300 bucks for a night over a hotel in SF, and your gf is into it. "But sweetheart, we can only bring 1 sleeping bag or else we'll have to check our luggage" :biggrin:

You only have five days huh? I think you'll be too busy with your already "must do". There's too many things to do in the Bay Area for just 5 days. Who knows, maybe both of you will decide to move to CA after your visit :)

I recommend you posting for recommendation in the Northwest section of the forum since you'll get more people to respond with ideas. Or maybe ask the moderator to move it for you.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

By the way, I think May time frame has great weather in the city. It shouldn't be too hot or cold.

Ski_Banker said:
If you're going to rent a car, the drive to Santa Cruz/Monterey is really nice. Would be fun for a day. Monterey aquarium is touristy but still really cool and you can hang out on the Santa Cruz beach/boardwalk too. There's camping places nearby if you want to save 300 bucks for a night over a hotel in SF, and your gf is into it. "But sweetheart, we can only bring 1 sleeping bag or else we'll have to check our luggage" :biggrin:

We have done this quite a few times... Hwy 1 along the coast is a really nice drive and the rugged cliffs along the way are very pretty. It does not take that long, and is much better than the 205 to 580 rout. I guess it is a factor of living so close, but I would not know what to do with myself if I spent all 5 days in SF. Ski_Banker is right, you are so close to Monterey/Santa Cruz/Napa, you really owe it to yourself to see some of those sites a well.

He probably wants to stay in SF and not drive around in the surrounding cities.

And Napa is 1.5 to 2 hours north of san francisco.

Restaurants:

Crustaceans (crab)
Roys
Blue Crush (Oyster Bar)
Hog's (Oyster Bar)
Aqua

Site seeing:

Union Square for shopping
Ghiradelli Square
Pier 39
Coit Tower
Golden Gate Bridge
the Marina

Clubs:

Too many to list...

PM me ..

Thank you all very much, this gives me a better idea. I will definitely make the trip to Napa and check out at least a couple wineries. What about the club scene? I prefer places where you can lounge around and talk as well as dance to a mix of some techno & hip hop, dressy but not pretentious.

Thanks again,
Eddie

dainese51 said:
He probably wants to stay in SF and not drive around in the surrounding cities.

And Napa is 1.5 to 2 hours north of san francisco.

Restaurants:

Crustaceans (crab) :confused:
Roys :confused:
Blue Crush (Oyster Bar):smile:
Hog's (Oyster Bar):smile:
Aqua:biggrin:

Site seeing:

Union Square for shopping:biggrin:
Ghiradelli Square:smile:
Pier 39:rolleyes:
Coit Tower:wink:
Golden Gate Bridge:wink:
the Marina:smile:

Clubs:

Too many to list...

PM me ..

just my .02 cents. but I'm a native, what would I know:cool:

BTW: Slanted Door:biggrin: Butterfly:eek:

PM or email if you like more info

I like your rating system, I have added mine

Roys :confused: :smile: (this is a chain that started in Maui, there is one in Las Vegas) Good food, but not unique anymore.

Site seeing:

Union Square for shopping :biggrin: :biggrin:
Ghiradelli Square :smile: :smile:
Pier 39 :rolleyes: :frown:
Coit Tower :wink: :wink:
Golden Gate Bridge :wink: :smile:
the Marina :smile: :confused:

Adding my own:
Filmore St :smile:
Castro District :smile:
Twin Peaks :biggrin:

Back