First time buyer looking for modest investment

I have been a fan of the NSX since it was first introduced. I am looking to buy my first one (this economy is probably the best economic opportunity I will get) I have located a red 92 coupe in SF with Texas tags. Owner claims to have just moved here and doesn't have a garage for it in the City.Carfax (see vin jh4na1159nt000568) shows several title/registration activities. It looks like the car has had several owners although only confirms two making the seller #3. Also the top has been painted red to match the body. The mileage is 76K, there are no full service records but does show that the power train computer was checked twice in '04 and that it had the oil pan gasket replaced very recently along with the front spoiler. The current owner has only had it for about 500 miles and said he has added swaybars and adjusted the height. The right rear tail light is showing moisture inside the lenses and the pistons on the rear deck lid don't hold it open.
Any comments, thoughts or insight would make a great "Welcome to the community gift"!! I will be very grateful!

Welcome to the community. Were is the car being stored now? I can't imagine him parking on the street. Were are you located? Did you check the prepurchase list located in Wiki? That will give a start regarding what you should be looking for in anticipation of doing a PPI if you're serious about the purchase.

The car is being stored in their garage in San Francisco, I live 40 miles away but it can only hold one car and the wife says that's needed for her. I have tried a google search which lead me to this community but have not figured out the Wiki approach. Any instructions would be appreciated.

I live in Pacific Heights in San Francisco. I can not imagine parking a NSX on the streets of San Francisco.:eek: That's the joke here. People in San Francisco park with their bumpers. If you look at the car, look for "parking damage" from other cars.

Go to the top of this page. Look at the red bannner on the upper right hand side. See where it says, "Wiki"? Click on that and you'll find a wealth of information.

Let us know how we can help.

Doug

Thanks for the help Doug. I have been perusing the Wiki site. As you said. lots of good insight. I haven't been able to find anything about this particular vehicle. Is there something I'm missing? I saw two vin numbers listed. and they read like Carfax. I did test drive it and took it up 280 from the 6th street on ramp.....shifted smooth and the clutch has a short release. Rides rougher than I remember, but that my be due to the suspension changes. Why would someone paint the top? They told me that one of the previous owners was active on this site but didn't give me his name. Is there a mechanic in SF that will do an inspection for me? Thanks,

Scott

Although I haven't used them, people in the area rave about Hilltop in Daily City. Lot's of guys take their cars there. Do a google, or perhaps someone can chime in.

Some people prefer the black top while others prefer to opt for a more updated look. Just depends on one's preference.

Good luck.

Welcome:smile: I probably would pass on that car if it has paint work and no documentation. If you still want to persue it definately take it in for a Pre-Purchase Inspection including a compression check and get familiar with all the common problems outlined in the wiki. There is also a new buyers checklist there.

Good Luck

Great feed back from everyone. Thank you all. The asking price is $25,000 which seemed a bit low for how good of shape it's in. Seller's wife with 1 youngster + new baby and no garage to park in may be the reason behind the FS. Probably will miss this opportunity just because I am wanting to do my home work and am only now coming up to speed. Looks like it will sell for $22,500. Seller says I can take it to the mech and also said the other "guy" is getting his money together today. Opinions Always welcomed!!:smile:

One more note....the car was FS on this site by NsX_R back in 04 with 73.5K miles. Apparently his brother had two and was selling this one.

Last edited:
Scott, if the seller is telling you the "other guy" is currently getting the money together prior to your ability to do a PPI at Hilltop or where ever you would take it, I would let it go. Make sure you get a PPI and leak down prior to any NSX you purchase. They are wonderful vehicles and have few problems, but when they do have problems, they may be very expensive.

Take your time and do your homework.

Doug

is there a difference between a compression check and a leakdown test? i understand if a ppi is performed and the mechanic senses he should perform a compression check you should pass on that car anyway. am i right?

<table style="width: 503px; height: 609px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td valign="top">NsX_R responded to my email query copied below.....it looks like there have been four owners to date making me #5, not really what I want but I have to consider price verses compromises. I'm going to ask NsX_R if he will send me the docs and receipts, really can't hurt and ask the seller tomorrow if I can do an inspection at Hilltop. Who do you use as a mech Doug? Any thoughts on the price range?
The NSX you sold for your brother is now for sale in San Francisco by Peter and Carol Carrubba.

YES, I SUPPOSE TO SEND THE PAPER WORKS (RECORDS) BUT THEY NEVER SEND ME BACK MY PERSONALIZE LIC. PLATE SO I HAVE NO ADDRESS TO SEND THEM THE RECORDS.

Did you sell this car to them and ship it our here?

WE WERE 300MILES AWAY SO I OFFERED TO MEET THEM HALF WAY.

Can you offer me any other details on the car?

TIMING BELT/WATER PUMP/COOLING HOSES WAS DONE BY THE SECOND OWNER RIGHT AROUND 35K MILES.
TRANSMISSION CASE REPLACED WITH TYPE R GEARS SET WITH RINGS AND PINION/SEAMS...ETC. $3500 FOR JUST THE TRANSMISSION SERVICES.
NEW 02 SENSORS

COMPTECH POWER GRIP CLUTCH $1600 IN PARTS ITSELF WAS REPLACED AT THE SAME TIME.

It looks very clean and they said they have only driven it about 500 miles but it has 76k compared to your 73.5K

I SOLD IT AT 73.5K

Do you know how many owners there have been as the Carfax is showing several activities on the title while in Texas but only three owners.

YES, MY BROTHER IS THE THIRD OWNER- NO PROBLEM WITH THE INSPECTION JUST BECAUSE THE INSPECTOR DIDNT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE THE CAR.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

I have been a fan of the NSX since it was first introduced. I am looking to buy my first one (this economy is probably the best economic opportunity I will get) I have located a red 92 coupe in SF with Texas tags. Owner claims to have just moved here and doesn't have a garage for it in the City.Carfax (see vin jh4na1159nt000568) shows several title/registration activities. It looks like the car has had several owners although only confirms two making the seller #3. Also the top has been painted red to match the body. The mileage is 76K, there are no full service records but does show that the power train computer was checked twice in '04 and that it had the oil pan gasket replaced very recently along with the front spoiler. The current owner has only had it for about 500 miles and said he has added swaybars and adjusted the height. The right rear tail light is showing moisture inside the lenses and the pistons on the rear deck lid don't hold it open.
Any comments, thoughts or insight would make a great "Welcome to the community gift"!! I will be very grateful!

Sam.

My opinion is that you should buy something newer, that you can either buy a after market warranty on. If you think you can do all the work on the car yourself then buy something older. I guess this also depends on how much you can afford. I purchased a 2005 out of Arizona last August. I'm loving it. When i got it, it only had 8900 miles. Now its up around 13000. I have a number of cars and bikes so i dont drive any one the most.

Back