First ride in the NSX on the track

Very, very nice ! I was at Watkins Glen with BMWCCA - Genesee Valley Chapter and my instructor was Bill Held who has a red NSX. Bill was a great instructor and we had good chemistry. He was paired with me for his experience and insight into tracking mid-engine cars. I went out with him during the instructor sessions (aside from that which is set aside for student-instructor rides) and got to see the NSX put through its paces by an expert. Obviously do not need to tell anyone here about their own cars, but I tip my hat to you for having such great taste - very impressive and that was on an essentially stock car with Dunlop 9000s.
One of the many lessons re-learned was to drive "my" line - which is different in mid-engine vs. front engine cars. Seems obvious enough, but I had never thought about it before. When i drove "my" line and got it right i was pointed by with regularity. When I followed someone else's line - I was giving the point-by's. Another lesson offered by Bill - when you are driving a red NSX or yellow Esprit - it's like waiving a red flag at a bull - you are the target that everyone else is out to beat. The good news though, is that when they see you in their mirror, they get flustered and begin to make mistakes.

Also met Peter Mills - didn't have enough time with him to get to know him, but the little I did get to see was appreciated.

Well, you guys (and gals) have a great exotic and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience on the track as a passenger in one.

Bill is a great guy, I purchased a set of track tires off of him recently and have been out on the track with him.

Also, just got back from the Glen (mon and Tue with tracquest)

Photo of Gerry Summers and myself

cheers,
John B

Attachments

• DSC00784 (2).JPG
    DSC00784 (2).JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 560
NetViper said:
How would you compare your lotus to the NSX on the track?

Can't really make a fair comparison. My instructor drove his NSX while I drove the Esprit and we never swapped (though I offered to let him drive several times). It's really impossible to compare anything about the cars when the skills of the drivers are different. :wink: About the only thing I can honestly say is that I was extremely impressed with the way the Lotus handled as well as it's power and was equally impressed with both in the NSX as driven by Bill. My average lap time at WGI was 2.23 and my best was 10 seconds better :eek: than that for whatever it's worth.

CCMDoc said:
My average lap time at WGI was 2.23 and my best was 10 seconds better :eek: than that for whatever it's worth.

I don't follow. Your average time in the lotus was 2.23 and your best was 2:13 in the lotus?

NetViper said:
I don't follow. Your average time in the lotus was 2.23 and your best was 2:13 in the lotus?

Yes, in the Lotus. Excluding the first lap of each session, averaging the times of each lap for all of the sessions on the second day, the average was 2minutes 23 seconds per lap. My best single lap time was 2minutes 13 seconds. I agree, a tremedous difference, but my best was a result of getting lucky and not having traffic in front of me. The average was a result of more consistently running laps in the 2.21-2.25 range. Still a big difference in lap times, but this was my first time on the track with the Lotus. Consistency is what makes great drivers great and obiously I am far from that at the moment, but always willing to learn. I never knew the laps were being timed until after the event was over.

How was your lap time recorded?And was this the long course?

Paul:
Becareful when stating lap times. Without a fixed base timing device, lap times are only quessing at best. DocJohn and I turn mid teens on the long course and the pole sitter for last year GrandAm cup race turned a 2:09, that's why your lap times seem incredible for an intermediate. Who was doing the timing?
I'm glad you enjoyed the school.

CCMDoc said:
Yes, in the Lotus. Excluding the first lap of each session, averaging the times of each lap for all of the sessions on the second day, the average was 2minutes 23 seconds per lap. My best single lap time was 2minutes 13 seconds. I agree, a tremedous difference, but my best was a result of getting lucky and not having traffic in front of me. The average was a result of more consistently running laps in the 2.21-2.25 range. Still a big difference in lap times, but this was my first time on the track with the Lotus. Consistency is what makes great drivers great and obiously I am far from that at the moment, but always willing to learn. I never knew the laps were being timed until after the event was over.

Last edited:
Peter Mills said:
Paul:
Becareful when stating lap times. Without a fixed base timing device, lap times are only quessing at best. DocJohn and I turn mid teens on the long course and the pole sitter for last year GrandAm cup race turned a 2:09, that's why your lap times seem incredible for an intermediate. Who was doing the timing?
I'm glad you enjoyed the school.

You are right, Peter, big mistake sharing lap times. Nope an EZ-pass device was not used - only a stopwatch by an onlooker using a particular marker as I passed it. He didn't know me from Adam before sharing the info with me, so had nothing to gain or lose by embellishing or diminishing the times. I wouldn't say that a stopwatch is "guessing" but couldn't attest to the precision of the measurements either. In the end, I came away pleased having met you, very happy with Bill and grateful to have the opportunity to drive at my favorite track with cooperative (though not perfect) weather and a car in one piece at the end. Can't forget to mention that I enjoyed my rides in the NSX at the track as well.

Thanx for that info,whew and I thought I was loafing all this time :wink: If you were able to post a real 2:13 in a stock tt lotus with street tires,,you should quit your day job.Btw if you are doing legit 2:23's in that car(and not scaring anyone) you are driving quite well!

docjohn said:
Thanx for that info,whew and I thought I was loafing all this time :wink: If you were able to post a real 2:13 in a stock tt lotus with street tires,,you should quit your day job.Btw if you are doing legit 2:23's in that car(and not scaring anyone) you are driving quite well!
Thanks Doc,
Actually, I use R-compounds, R4 pads, have twin intercoolers and Quaiffe and usually run "Group 1" with White Mountain and Boston Chapters of BMWCCA, "White" with PCA and "Advanced" with SCDA (when I was driving my BMW). This was my first event with GVC, first in the Esprit and first since last September, so was happy to be "downgraded" to "B" group. Again, as you and Peter have pointed out, the lap times should be taken for what they're worth - only useful to me to get a sense of how my weekend was progressing.

NetViper said:
\

Maybe if you were driving a NSX. :biggrin: j/k

:rolleyes: Set myself up for that one

Being from the UK i am a big Lotus fan, its not that suprising a V8 Esprit would destroy an NSX on the track. Stiffer and in another league when it comes to straight line speed.

I didn't even you could get an Esprit in the states!

-Rob

robfenn said:
You didn't even know I guess, right? But then you didn't see the movie "Pretty Woman" where Julia Roberts teaches Richard Gere how to drive a 4 cyl. Lotus (in Beverly Hills?). She was a master with the stick... :wink:

robfenn said:
Being from the UK i am a big Lotus fan, its not that suprising a V8 Esprit would destroy an NSX on the track. Stiffer and in another league when it comes to straight line speed.

-Rob

Where is the NSX getting destroyed? The times stated show the opposite :confused:

I've driven a stock tt lotus on the track and the only place it will be faster is in a drag race on the straights,it will however "destroy" the nsx with projectile parts falling off around the rest of the circuit! :tongue:

docjohn said:
I've driven a stock tt lotus on the track and the only place it will be faster is in a drag race on the straights,it will however "destroy" the nsx with projectile parts falling off around the rest of the circuit! :tongue:

Me and the Lotus also get bonus points for the "oil slick" feature.

LOTUS = Lots of Trouble Usually Serious

:biggrin:

In the latest MPH, they ranked the 10 most overrated cars of all time. Lotus was #8. They said it was fast, but kit car build quality and reliability.

Personally, I really like the 98 Esprit V8's. I would like to drive one someday.

Well, I guess it wasn't realistic to expect this not degenerate into a "mine's better than yours ". :rolleyes:
Oh well - was at NHIS last Monday (SCDA) and had a great time. Will be again at WGI next weekend (BMWCCA) and NHIS in a few weeks again (SCDA).
Stay well,
Paul
Leaning%20at%20NHIS%20June%206%202005.jpg

Back