First oil change since buying my 02 Diy experience

So Ive bought my 02 nearly 3 months ago.
Ive done a few things so far and have fixed a few things on it from when I bought it.

Fixed alignment
Replaced two front bent wheels with a set of 00 wheels and tires
Just did the first oil change, etc.

I used some genuine Honda oil filters and crush washers and Mobil one 10w30 oil to change the oil myself.

I was really suprised when I was changing the oil that placement of the filter is right above the reinforcement bar and oil drips right onto it. I was also suprised that I had to remove the rear passenger side tire to get to the filter.
Changing oil on Japanese V6's is much different than changing oil on my other car which is a american four cylinder turbo that has easy access to the plug and filter !

Do all of you other Nsx owners remove your tire to get to the filter ? Or do you have a way to remove the filter without removing the wheel/tire ? Also, is there supposed to be a splash guard behind the wheel to protect the belts and pulleys from water, debris ? My Nsx doesnt have any splash guard and I would have imagined it to have one from the factory..?

Cory

You don't have to remove the tire to change the oil filter. I've done it both ways. One way to prevent oil spilling onto that bar is to wrap a little aluminum foil around it, change filter, then toss the foil.

Every car has it's little idiosyncrasies when changing the filter, I don't think the NSX is that much harder than most other cars.

good luck

Modernceo said:
I was really suprised when I was changing the oil that placement of the filter is right above the reinforcement bar and oil drips right onto it.
Cory

This was a surprise to me, too...I placed a rag over the bar to keep it from getting too much oil, but it didn't help much as the rag got REALLY oily (is that a word?). At the time, I was painting the calipers, so the wheels were off anyway.
My biggest worry was jacking the car up and letting it sit on four jackstands for a few hours. :eek:

Next oil change is coming soon. I'll probably do the foil thing as mentioned, and just pull the tire 'cuz it makes things a bit easier to access.

SamBel said:
...My biggest worry was jacking the car up and letting it sit on four jackstands for a few hours. :eek:

Why was that a worry? It's one of the safest ways to do work on any car, and it's not going to cause any harm as long as the car is sitting on the stands at the correct points on the frame rails.

I made some shallow approach ramps with 5 2x10s bolted together edgewise. Cut them individually with a circ saw towhatever angle you want before you bolt them together and then nail a scrap piece at the back to act as a stop.

To change the oil, I just back the NSX up on them, crawl under and use the honda filter wrench over a zip lock to take off the filter. It has worked well for me. HTH-

I changed my oil today for the first time. I didnt take my wheel off and found an NSX oil change to be conveinent. I couldnt believe what i found! I think it was a Legend STP filter on my NSX, it was about an inch shorter than the factory NSX filter.
How much you guys pay for factory filter? i paid 12.50 a peice with the alum washer taped to it. I bought three at one time.

NSXLuvr said:
$20 for a filter :eek: :eek: :eek:

try goodson with NSXCA discount, or Neillo in Sacramento with NSXCA discount, or

http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=HWA
Thanks! Yeah, they charge a premium for everything. They suck! Quoted $8 to cut a key (not including key) and then upped it to $30 when they heard it was for a NSX.

The filter was $20+ and washer was $0.81. Needed it, so I got it. That dealer is for emergency use only. ;)

In case anyone was wondering, it's Thomas Acura in Covina, CA.

CDX_NSX said:
Where did you get the filter from? The dealer near me charges $20 for the filter.

That seems strange. A filter lists for $16.?? at the Weir canyon Acura in So Ca. Thats where i got mine for $12. What dealer is that?

CDX_NSX said:
Thanks! Yeah, they charge a premium for everything. They suck! Quoted $8 to cut a key (not including key) and then upped it to $30 when they heard it was for a NSX.

The filter was $20+ and washer was $0.81. Needed it, so I got it. That dealer is for emergency use only. ;)

In case anyone was wondering, it's Thomas Acura in Covina, CA.

My bad, didnt read everything before i asked.

Yeah, everything in their parts department commands a premium; even parts for my Legends. I haven't bought anything there that's priced at or under list.

Back