first NSX - earlier model & add mods or go directly to '97+ model?

Looking to get my first NSX and thought I'd take advantage of some of the great expertise on this board. Planning to spend no more than $60k total, so should I:

1) get a very low mi, <'95 model and be prepared to spend a good chunk on SC and related modifications or
2) try to get the latest (post-'97) model with the lowest mileage I can find with no intention to add any modifications?

All suggestions welcome (including those outside my two narrow choices above) Thanks!

First, the typical I/H/E mods may give you up to 20 hp gain - same as the difference between the '91-96 3.0 and the '97+ 3.2 - but nowhere near the 60-100 hp gain of a supercharger, so I think the choice of year is separate from the decision whether or not to get a supercharger.

To decide on an early one vs. a newer one, I think the question you should be asking yourself is whether you prefer the ability to remove the roof panel for open-air motoring in the NSX-T, or the greater rigidity of the NSX Coupe (such as for track driving), since the '91-94 are all coupes and, with very few exceptions (other than the 50 Zanardi NSXs), the '97+ are all NSX-T.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
First, the typical I/H/E mods may give you up to 20 hp gain - same as the difference between the '91-96 3.0 and the '97+ 3.2 - but nowhere near the 60-100 hp gain of a supercharger, so I think the choice of year is separate from the decision whether or not to get a supercharger.

To decide on an early one vs. a newer one, I think the question you should be asking yourself is whether you prefer the ability to remove the roof panel for open-air motoring in the NSX-T, or the greater rigidity of the NSX Coupe (such as for track driving), since the '91-94 are all coupes and, with very few exceptions (other than the 50 Zanardi NSXs), the '97+ are all NSX-T.

The six-speed gearbox should also be a factor to be considered as well. Also, while the I/H/E may add up to a similiar amount of HP gain, wouldn't the modified, earlier car, still fall short in torque compared to the newer car?

Didn't really consider the coupe/targa difference, but I don't intend to put it on the track. However, still looking for more performance
smile.gif

Assuming I can find a well-maintained car, any advice on a ballpark maximum mileage before adding an SC and related mods would not be cost-effective or wise?

Lastly, have never driven a six-speed. Does it make that much of a difference?

You are somewhat in a same dilemma I am in. I "could" start off with an older year model NSX or wait longer, and get the '97.

I think it is worth it especially for the 6 speed tranny and for the host of updates during that year. If you do get an older model, you could get the NSX-R gears if you want so factor that in cost if you decide to get it.

Originally posted by fredc:
any advice on a ballpark maximum mileage before adding an SC and related mods would not be cost-effective or wise?

In general, adding a SC or other mods is never cost-effective, in that you will never see most of that money again. However, it may be cost effective or wise if you expect to get enough added pleasure out of them, for the time that you plan to own the car, to justify their cost. That's strictly up to you - what you want, how much it costs, and whether you can afford it.

Originally posted by fredc:
Lastly, have never driven a six-speed. Does it make that much of a difference?

Here are 1/4 mile times for a '91 NSX which is stock, with three different gearing setups:

'91 with stock five-speed gears and stock R&P: 13.67 seconds

'91 with six-speed and stock R&P: 13.56 seconds

'91 with short five-speed gears and 4.235 R&P (NSX-R): 13.48 seconds

By way of comparison, adding 15 hp (typical for one of the better header and exhaust mods) reduces the 1/4 mile time on a stock '91 from 13.67 seconds to 13.35 seconds.

EDIT: Corrected the R&P ratio and corresponding acceleration number for the NSX-R gearing. (Thanks, Ponyboy!)

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 09 January 2003).]

Ahem Mr. Ken, didn't the NSX-R have the 4.23 gearing? I think the 4.55 is an exclusive Comptech product. Did I just correct you?

Hehehe
wink.gif

Originally posted by Ponyboy:
Ahem Mr. Ken, didn't the NSX-R have the 4.23 gearing? I think the 4.55 is an exclusive Comptech product. Did I just correct you?

Hehehe
wink.gif

You're right. My bad. I'll go back and edit my post.

This is one of the best things I appreciate about this site - and especially the forums - emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail. Thanks for all the comments so far!

You will not get a useful answer unless you really sort out what is important to you in terms of which compromises you are willing to make. For example, there is no doubt that you could buy an early NSX and make it fast enough to run away from a later model for much less than $60K. You could even do a 6 spd conversion.

However, the equation gets more complex if you can afford a 3.2L and still have the budget to do forced induction.

I'm not an expert, but I think if you change the gears your RPM will be a little higher at highway cruising speeds. Probably no big deal, but your gas mileage and general buzzy annoyance factor could suffer a little ...something else to think about.

[This message has been edited by dave22 (edited 13 January 2003).]

You are mostly correct. The short gears do not change your RPM at highway cruising speeds, because they don't change the ratio of fifth gear. The R&P mods do indeed cause you to rev higher; for example, the 4.55 R&P will cause the car to rev 12 percent higher than the stock one. Gas mileage does indeed suffer with the gears, more so with the R&P than with the short gears.

Want to thank all of those who provided useful food for thought...Picked up a '96 blk/blk with <30k miles this weekend!! Almost bone stock, and while I ponder my initial topic question, I'm gonna have one hell of a time enjoying the pleasures of driving my NSX
smile.gif

Back