Finding the right NSX is harder than I thought.....

Since I just registered here the other day I figured I wouldn't waste any time for the first post... After years of researching other cars I finally narrowed it down to get a NSX. Of course the wife also gave me permission to buy whatever would shut me up! It was either between this or a F355, I believe I made the right choice. Now that I'm in a position to find one and pay for in cash, it seems makes it harder to decide. Living in the great state (sarcastic) of Louisiana with nothing local makes it so much more difficult also! I will say I have been all over this site and learned a great deal. Hopefully within a few weeks or so I will be a proud owner of a 97-01 NSX. They are out there just so far away.

this is a small very helpful community.....If you find a car that interests you post up a thread in the local regional forum and you will most likely find someone to take a look.

Why did you pick the NSX over the F355? Was is purely maintenance cost?

The main reason I shot down the F355 is that there is only 1 Ferrari mechanic shop in the area that does good work. I have no idea how far away another one was but I couldn't find any within a 100mile radius. Maintenance cost was never an issue. I just figured since there is more of a selection to NSX mechanics since there are a few Acura Dealerships and import perfomance shops in my region. Also the NSX is so much more rare in terms of production numbers. I am an attention whore so I thought this would do the trick also!

Welcome, and great choice picking the 97-01' year range. Those are the best years :wink:. Do you have a particular color you're looking for? It might take a few months if your looking for some of the rarer colors in that year range (Monte Carlo Blue, Kaiser Silver, Spa Yellow).

Color wise I really like the Silver with a close second with Yellow and Red. I don't feel I could go wrong with any of them. They are just awesome cars. I only seen one in person and I never forget it cause I had to have my picture with it. And I narrowed down the year range based upon reading all sorts of posts on here. It was worth the time looking

Joe welcome and good luck with your search.. You should have a firm list in your head of what you want. the only flaw in your searching is that you say in the next few weeks.... I can honestly say most of the people buying today that are particular have spent at least a few months looking and that is with a limited requirements list and 45k+ in cash.

I am an attention whore so I thought this would do the trick also!

The question you should ask yourself: What attention does it attract?

hint: not usually female

Happy hunting, be patient, learn stuff here on the WIKI, ask Primer's local to a car to check it out for you, if you get serious about a car then definitely get a PPI from a qualified NSX mechanic prior to making the purchase.

Agree with others, the 97-01 range is good if you want the 3.2 and 6 speed, depends on your goals for the car.

Last edited:
Be patient, that's all I can say. The process shouldn't be quick.

Good choice on the 97-01 :)

There are 2 nice silver cars on Auto Trader today. The 97-2001 models dont last long, so if you find one you like jump on it fast.

True. If I were looking to move to a newer one, I would be looking at the 97-01 models. I like the look of the pop-ups with them down. A Zanardi would be awesome. But to find a nice one of those a person could really spend lots of time, years, maybe a decade finding one of those. And they demand higher $$$$, supply & demand.

Enjoy the hunt and keep us posted.

The production numbers during 97-2001 were very low comared to other years that had the flap up headlights, and those cars had many upgrades during that production run. I think $55k is a fair price for the Silver 2001 on Auto Trader since there were only 57 cars made that year silver/black, there is also a yellow one (that is also a pretty rare color) for about the same price. The rare colored cars tend to hold more value particularly in those (97-01) model years and are becoming very prized in Japan and even with collectors here in the USA, which would make that yellow car (25 made) or anything under $60k for a low production color a great deal.
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers

Last edited:
Sounds like you have the means so: I'd highly recommend traveling to an NSX event where you're sure to see different colors and kinds - coupes, NSX-T's, mostly OEM, modified, etc. My search started very unofficially in 2007 and I had my heart set on a black coupe. Then I switched to wanting a silver or black or blue T in 2011 when my search became real, and preferably a 97-01. I really wanted to make NSXPO 2011 which was a state away so I could see many types next to each other in person but couldn't get away due to work. I then used frequent flier miles to look at a 15k mile 2-owner red coupe in CT in Dec 2011 because the price was too good to ignore, it was recently Larry B serviced, and it was spotless. I LOVE red in pictures but in person it was clear A red NSX wasn't for me this time around. Was so well worth the trip. I had driven a few over the years and until that trip had really seen only blacks and silvers in person and it wasn't until a year into my search and after seeing a few more colors and styles in person that I knew 100% what I wanted, without any doubt. It was Larry G's white coupe with an NSX-R type hood that set the hook. Just something to consider before jumping. Good luck!

Last edited:
Wow I got alot of responses! Thanks everyone. Great advice here! Hopefully one can be found within reasonable driving distance. My price range is roughly 45k give or take depending on history and condition. I am to the point now where I want one and just hoping it happens quickly. When I find that right one its gonna be awesome. Although even when I get to that point and if I have it shipped.. I'll do it at a time when everyone in my neighborhood is on their way home so they have to see it! Time to get shopping.. going to go check out autotrader now.

I have a very clean blk/blk 96' 2 owner, doctor owned, 50k miles, all original bone stock 5spd I am considering listing soon, clean carfax clean auto check no accidents, was serviced its entire life at Acura as well. I am in NY though, so that's a bit away haha

Last edited:
I have a very clean blk/blk 96' 2 owner, doctor owned, 50k miles, all original bone stock 5spd I am considering listing soon, clean carfax clean auto check no accidents, was serviced its entire life at Acura as well. I am in NY though, so that's a bit away haha

If you are by Manhattan my wife would make me go up there and look at it! She loves it up there and would beg to go lol

If you are by Manhattan my wife would make me go up there and look at it! She loves it up there and would beg to go lol

I'm actually during Westchester during the week for work! (35-40mins outside of Manhattan)

I don't keep the car down here, but can bring it down if we were to set something up!!

and you would be dealing with a good guy... if you come to the city i may even have to make a run in :) (its fun when there is an excuse)

and you would be dealing with a good guy... if you come to the city i may even have to make a run in :) (its fun when there is an excuse)

x2! Plus you could come check out 2 of the brightest colors in existence on NSX's.... Imola Orange and OEM Lime Green Metallic!!

x2! Plus you could come check out 2 of the brightest colors in existence on NSX's.... Imola Orange and OEM Lime Green Metallic!!

Good luck with your search!

You could also come to Atlanta and look at my 93 red/black NSX that is for sale. Check out car and photos on Cragislist or on the NSX for Sale listings here. :smile:

Whatever car/year you decide to choose, the NSX is a great and special car that will bring a smile to you every time you look at it, and a much bigger smile every time you drive it. While I would love to keep car, I'm not driving it as much as I thought and with 2 kids in college...

Best of luck!

Rich

Post your "Wanted" ad in this forum.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/23-NSXs-Wanted

That's what I did and and my NSX found me. :)
I agree with this. I had some trouble finding mine also. I took the same advice and put a wanted to buy. I had an owner contact me who was considering selling his 00. I made a deal with him and flew to Rhode Island and drove the car back to Florida. My drive home was one I will never forget. My face hurt from smiling and everytime I stopped for gas I was asked about the car. Be patient and you will find the right car

Back