Finding my NSX - Need help

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to the forum but will be here everyday from now on. I've done a lot of research, reading reviews, watching videos... talking to mechanics then I figured out that NSX is the best of all. I drove 997 before, it's a nice car but maintenance is suck. My friend has a Cayenne still on the driveway waiting for $7000 to fix, and he put more than $20k not so long ago. Ferrari and Lamb are even worse.

So, now I start to "hunt" my NSX, no rush, and because I want to keep it forever, so I want to buy a very nice one. I have some questions and greatly appreciate any input:
1. What is the normal/acceptable price for an NSX from 2000 to 2005, no modification, nice condition, and less than 30K miles?
2. Is worth to spend double for 2000 to 2005 NSX over the earlier models?
3. Is it easy to find parts?
4. Red or yellow :-) Yeah, I know, it's just personal. I like both color but can't buy 2 cars. Just want to know which color people prefer.

Thanks.
Bach

1) http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Pricing

2) http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/167997-Anyone-own-both-an-NA1-and-an-NA2-before

3) There are widely varying opinions on the ease of finding parts, but from what I've seen it's largely based on how much liquidity you have to spend at any one time.

4). This is of course completely your preference. In my own WTB NSX thread, I specifically stated that red and yellow were the only cars I did NOT want.

More great decision-making info here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/165179-Need-help-finding-your-dream-NSX-I-can-help!

I dont think that Porsche maintenance or reliability is any different than an NSXs. My 996 turbo has been clearly less expensive to operate than my 2002 NSX was, principally because of rear tire wear in NSXs was horrific for me. Im easily getting 5x the distance out of the rears with the Pcar. And it wasnt camber wear on the NSX either - those things were completly bald on my NSX before I knew it. Alignment was done too - tire wear is just quite poor on NSXs. I dont think that I would get 2500miles out of a set of rears.

2. Is worth to spend double for 2000 to 2005 NSX over the earlier models?
Up to you. I dont think that there is a material performance difference but the 6speed is a clear benefit and you may prefer a targa too. Newer car may be more appealing to you as well just from an age perspective. 02+s may appeal to you with the style revision.

3. Is it easy to find parts?
I found it difficult. When I need parts, they often took 6-8weeks for the dealer to find, and the parts often had to come from Japan. More than a couple things could not be found in North America (at least by my dealer). It was one of the things that was in the back of my mind when it came time to sell the car - can have a daily driver waiting for parts for a couple months.

4. Yellow NSXs are smoking. Thats what I had and I loved it.

FF Drifter and BioBanker, thank you so much for the replies.
BioBanker: The rear tires problem happens to all of NSX or just some certain cars? I think it's too expensive if you couldn't make 2500 miles with a set of tire.

I think it's too expensive if you couldn't make 2500 miles with a set of tire.
Depends on how you drive them. I am a pretty mild driver and have covered 5000 miles on the same set of tires and there still is plenty of wear left on them. I hear though that track time = bald tires.

Depends on how you drive them. I am a pretty mild driver and have covered 5000 miles on the same set of tires and there still is plenty of wear left on them. I hear though that track time = bald tires.

My car was lowered and supercharged, which probably didn't help, but I was reasonably easy on them.

The tires were Goodyear gsd3s. Theyre softish. All just my experience but NSXs are known for poor tire wear. Just something to be aware of. I tolerated it and only mentioned it because it's an often overlooked cost of ownership.

Back