Finally settled on my X of choice.

Well, I previously knew that I had to have the 3.2 and 6spd.
However, I didnt really like the 02 update. I *thought* i preferred the 97-01 better (popups).

Anyhow, I saw a sweet imola orange w/ orange leather.

I really liked it. So here's my ?.

I know that you can get the rear valence relatively cheap, but IMO the big news for 02 is the higher quality perforated leather seats/wheel and the aero nose. IMO the 02X has a F360 look to it.

I have my mind set on a yellow/yellow 02. I really like the color combos they started that year.

SO here's my ?s.

-Did the leather change for 02? (or was it 00 etc)
-It seems higher quality - is it?
-Is ~$60K fair for the car?
-Does it make sense to buy a 97 for $47K, then mod the exterior to the 02 look??

-What about the interior? Is it a cost-effective mod? (switch to perfed leather?)

Now the big question....

I just found out that $60K buys a 2002-2003 996....with decent options.

What to do?

I was in the same situation.....I was looking at 00's at first and they wanted $49k to $60k......I decided it was better to have a newer one and get a warranty for just a small amount more. I got an 03 for $65k and it is only 9 months into the warranty with 4,000 miles after driving it 1,100 miles home.

If I were you I'd put in the extra and go with the newer one. By the time you modded the older one you might spend more than just getting the newer one with the warranty.

qirex said:
SO here's my ?s.

-Did the leather change for 02? (or was it 00 etc)
-It seems higher quality - is it?
-Is ~$60K fair for the car?
-Does it make sense to buy a 97 for $47K, then mod the exterior to the 02 look??

-What about the interior? Is it a cost-effective mod? (switch to perfed leather?)

Now the big question....

I just found out that $60K buys a 2002-2003 996....with decent options.

What to do?

The perforated leather came in 2000. I dont think it is any different in later models. You would have to get new leather covers from an aftermarket vendor if you wanted that same look. I wouldn't bother.

$60K sounds reasonable for a 02. As does $47 for a 97 depending on mileage and service history.

As for modding the 97 to look like a 02, that will cost you at least $6,000. Your call. It will not increase the value of the car.

You should have no trouble finding a yellow car though. They are by far the most often color on ebay.

Good luck!

My opinion on a car of this nature is not to touch the body. I think this will depreciate the car in the long run. I personally bought my 93 because I like the 93. I replaced the wheels with 99 wheels because I like the look, but I kept the stock wheels. Anything that is not an easy convert back to original is only good if you do not mind the fact that it may affect your resale or limit your future potential buyers. On the other hand, you need to own what you love......if it were me and I liked the look of the newer car, I would buy the newer car. At least you can recover some of the money down the road on resale. Good luck!!

If you buy a '02+ in either yellow or orange, no one will look twice at the 996 if you pass one save for Jerry Seinfeld or Porsche fanatics.

If Honda doesn't build a new Nsx, I am inclined to a '02+ imola myself. But I'm greedy, I want to keep my current Nsx too. C'mon stock market...

K.O. said:
...If Honda doesn't build a new Nsx, I am inclined to a '02+ imola myself. But I'm greedy, I want to keep my current Nsx too. C'mon stock market...

Ahhh, yes...another one who is collecting multiple NSX's......well done. :biggrin:

Glad to hear you have decided to drop the 350Z in favor of the NSX. You will not regret it. The NSX is vastly superior in all aspects IMHO.

Is ~$60K fair for the car?

This sounds like a good deal. How many miles on the car?

Absolutely not. The money you spend updating the car adds no value to the car. Spend the extra $13k and get the car you want; plus it is 5 years newer.

No. This is another reason to buy the 2002. The perforated seats look much sportier and modern.

Good luck on your search and decision.

CerberusM5 said:
Glad to hear you have decided to drop the 350Z in favor of the NSX. You will not regret it. The NSX is vastly superior in all aspects IMHO.

Is ~$60K fair for the car?

This sounds like a good deal. How many miles on the car?

Absolutely not. The money you spend updating the car adds no value to the car. Spend the extra $13k and get the car you want; plus it is 5 years newer.

No. This is another reason to buy the 2002. The perforated seats look much sportier and modern.

Good luck on your search and decision.
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please post feedback on the E60 the day you drive it home!!! 507hp! This thing will get the family to church on time!

Steve said:
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please post feedback on the E60 the day you drive it home!!! 507hp! This thing will get the family to church on time!

Steve,

No problem. Just give me at least a couple of days though. It will probably take at least that much time for me to come down from my high.

My dealer said it will probably be late 2005 before I get it, unless I want to pay a hefty premium (over $20k) to be one of the first in town. They have already told me they will not sell me one at MSRP even though I bought my last two BMWs from them. They just said, "we will take care of you". Dealers can be so greedy.

CerberusM5 said:
...My dealer said it will probably be late 2005 before I get it, unless I want to pay a hefty premium (over $20k) to be one of the first in town. They have already told me they will not sell me one at MSRP even though I bought my last two BMWs from them. They just said, "we will take care of you". Dealers can be so greedy.

HAHAHA!! Yeah...'We will take care of you...when we feel like it, and the cars are just sitting on our lot begging for buyers,'....gotta love BMW. :rolleyes:

60k for a 02 is not bad. I just bought today a 02 red exterior black interior with 15k miles for 59.9 and im extremely excited to pick it up tomorrow.

Frankly I like the updated (02) look quite a bit and for the money I spent. But its your choice overall.

just got back from driving an orange/orange 02 X and an f355GTS.

While the ferrari was great (I'm 6'3", fit pretty good), the 02X is the car i'll be buying.
Its amazing how different this car is from the 91 i've driven extensively.
For starters - the seats move back WAAAAAYYY further. All the way back - have too much room.

The car had a comptech exhaust. The saledork said it adds 30HP (hahaha), but it *did* sound positively Sweeet.

These fools wanted $72K for this 02 w 7K miles. Low miles for sure, but I offered $65k. He wanted to meet at 68.5K.

I told the guys I can get a new one for 80.

How can I get one for $60K?

Either way, I LOVE the car. I just have to check out the porsches and see what the same money will get me. Either way, i think that the X looks way better and you dont see them EVERYWHERE!. It'll take a C4S cab at $65K to make me go down the p]carroute.

Before I buy, whats the preflight check, carfax ppi etc?
This particular car is at a dealer, but my searches for a $60K 02 will prolly lead me to the private sector. Since the warrantee is still good on these '02 cars - do I even need to really worry?

Thanks so much for all your help - I'll be an X'er soon.

Back