Finally purchased SOS short shifter kit.

I finally purchased the SOS short shifter kit. I was stalled on getting this because I dread taking out my center piece out. I did review some old DIY thread from last year(s).
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87887
I'm going to give it a shot this weekend sometime. If anyone has any other useful tips on this process, please feel free.
Also, since my center piece will be off, any suggestions on getting a another one in good condition.

it sits really tall.

just did an install couple of weeks ago and shifter was way too tall for my liking or the cutomer's. I think anyone that gets this kit should cut it.

Also not sure why the stock was nessary the blue addition piece already cuts down on the throw.

regards

Rob:smile:

If anyone has any other useful tips on this process, please feel free.
Also, since my center piece will be off, any suggestions on getting a another one in good condition.

In the thread you reference there is little said about removing the center vent, with the exception of "mine was easy":). This is not always the case. Check out threads by BrianK in the stereo forum and click on his website. He has many tips onn doing this without destroying the center console. Worthwhile reading for sure.

HTH,
LarryB

I finally purchased the SOS short shifter kit. I was stalled on getting this because I dread taking out my center piece out. I did review some old DIY thread from last year(s).
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87887
I'm going to give it a shot this weekend sometime. If anyone has any other useful tips on this process, please feel free.

I've done this install a few times. If you'd like some help give me a shout.

A. Be careful not to scratch the center piece
B. Be careful not to drop any screws
C. Review pictures of the install(refer to my ss install review for clarification)

:biggrin:

A. Be careful not to scratch the center piece
B. Be careful not to drop any screws
C. Review pictures of the install(refer to my ss install review for clarification)

:biggrin:

I did mine about 6 months ago or so. I didn't have instructions just the short stalk from sos. However, I've had my center console out many times. I don't have the clock at the top but have the Nav Pod so it was real easy after donig it once. Just don't drop any screws like mentioned above.

For the stalk I forget what exactly I did, but it wasn't hard. If you don't find directions just look to see what needs to be unbolted off the old to fit the new on. Also I greased all of whatever I touched so that the new stalk moves like the OEM one did.

Stephen

Thanks, sounds like I better use a magnetic tool for the screws. The reason I got the stalk because the threads go down a lot more than the OEM stalk.

graphic liquid will work on lubing the joints? If not what type of grease is good.
I was also afraid that when installing the short shift kit, I may shift it in the wrong gear being that it is so close. No? My friend MaximusNSX highly recommended this kit.

Thanks, sounds like I better use a magnetic tool for the screws. The reason I got the stalk because the threads go down a lot more than the OEM stalk.

graphic liquid will work on lubing the joints? If not what type of grease is good.
I was also afraid that when installing the short shift kit, I may shift it in the wrong gear being that it is so close. No? My friend MaximusNSX highly recommended this kit.

There is no more of a likelihood shifting into a wrong gear than with a normal shifter. The short shift kit only shortens the throw from front to rear, not side to side.

I installed Maximus's kit.

i got the shaft from SOS too.
im still thinking whether i should cut the thread down to have a super low sitting shiftknob.

I have the NSX-R knob and the SOS short shifter kit. I was concerned with my knuckles hitting the dash with the shorter shaft (short little sausage fingers:redface:) Is there any change in feel or did you do them both at the same time?

The grease I used was honda high temp grease. Some green stuff I either bought from dali or magauto. It's either called high temp grease or window grease I forget, but I used it for many things so far including my windows and the stalk. I might be using the wrong grease so if anyone else has experience let me know, but it's worked fine so far for me and I figure if it withstands high temps then it's fine for the stalk.

Oh, I have no idea what graphic liquid so I can't say...

Stephen

The grease I used was honda high temp grease. Some green stuff I either bought from dali or magauto. It's either called high temp grease or window grease I forget, but I used it for many things so far including my windows and the stalk. I might be using the wrong grease so if anyone else has experience let me know, but it's worked fine so far for me and I figure if it withstands high temps then it's fine for the stalk.

Oh, I have no idea what graphic liquid so I can't say...

Stephen
The grease to use is in this thread (thanks UnhuZ):
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89027&highlight=urea+grease

Here is the picture from the thread:
Urea_Grease_and_Threadlock_2.jpg

The bottom two pictures are the Super High Temp Urea Grease that you'll want to use.

Liquid graphite-- its graphite that is suspended in a quick drying liquid that is used for application. It works excellent on stuck door locks and it will not freeze or gum up like grease in dusty situations I used it on my shift linkage after people noticed some difference in how smooth the shifter operated. I have had no issues in the 2years that I have had it.

I assume I could just go to Autozone and get something similar to the Honda version. I appreciate the info though.

sure you can. :wink:

the blue lock tight and the mobil 1 syn grease is a good combo.

warm regards

I am installing this weekend:

Dave's (SOS) short shifter (not the stock)
2005 oem shift knob and shift boot/plate
2005 oem radio

Do I need to remove the glove box to remove the center console?

it sits really tall.

just did an install couple of weeks ago and shifter was way too tall for my liking or the cutomer's. I think anyone that gets this kit should cut it.

Also not sure why the stock was nessary the blue addition piece already cuts down on the throw.

regards

I was thinking about taking my Dremel and cutting off about 1" off the top of the stalk threads. That should do it, I hope.

I was thinking about taking my Dremel and cutting off about 1" off the top of the stalk threads. That should do it, I hope.

yep

thats what i would have done if i was asked by the customer.

do it when the shifter is out of the car so you dont get sparks and shavings all over the place :)

regards

I was going to cut it at the base remove as much as I feel necessary and weld it back on so i don't mess with the threads.:wink:

Everything went smooth until I tried to insert the linkage into the Short Shift kit, it was so tight that it took me forever to get the linkage aligned with the shaft. It was a pain in the A$$. Took it out around the block, and what a great improvement. It went from shifting in a Mack Truck to a Go Kart. I ended up cuttin the shifter stalk about 1.25 inches. It sits just right, nice and low.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to take of pics of the finshed product install.

RSX-R Shift knob, Modified SOS shift stalk, Dave's short shift kit. I cut the stalk by a little over an 1 inch. Now it sit's 4 inches tall instead of the 6+ inches (OEM). Thanks for everyone's help and tips.

Last edited:
Back