Finally, My First Honda. A Spa Yellow 97 NSX-T

After waiting years to own an NSX, I finally picked up my 1997 Spa Yellow NSX-T at the dock this week. I had it shipped all the way from Henderson, NV to Anchorage, AK. I can't wait for spring to come so I can start adding some mileage to this beautiful car. It has 27,500 miles and is bone stock with the exception of 17"/18" Antera wheels and Comptech springs. The only concern I have is the drivers side door not looking flush with the rear quarter panel when closed. It sticks out about 2-3mm to the rear panel. Is this normal for a vehicle of this age or is this a sign of an accident? Is there any way to adjust it? Other than that, I am very pleased to own my very first exotic. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

If you have concerns about it, post the VIN and where the car came from. Someone may know first hand what its history is.

Regardless, CONGRATS ON THE CAR and most of all THE COLOR!

SPA_S2000 said:
If you have concerns about it, post the VIN and where the car came from. Someone may know first hand what its history is.

Regardless, CONGRATS ON THE CAR and most of all THE COLOR!

Thanks, yellow is definitely a perfect match for the NSX:biggrin: BTW, Vin# JH4NA2169VT000228

If anybody finds anything on this car, I'd really appreiciate it. I should've done this research before the purchase, but I JUST HAD TO HAVE IT!!

Congratulations on the car. The cars title should be clean because I already ran a CarFax report on it about 7 months ago. Technically, I bought the car 7 months ago:confused: . I saw the car listed on ebay and it was beautiful…I had to have it. I asked the seller a few questions and even talked to him on the phone (seemed like a very nice gentleman). I decided I wanted to buy it so I placed a bid and won the auction:biggrin: . The night before I was going to leave to pick up the car, the seller called me and said he had second thoughts and really didn’t want to sell it:frown: . Even though I was mad, I just kept telling myself it wasn’t meant to be. It’s okay now because I found the one that was meant to be:tongue: . Congratulations again on the car…….I know how nice it is!!:biggrin:

Mister2 said:
After waiting years to own an NSX, I finally picked up my 1997 Spa Yellow NSX-T at the dock this week. I had it shipped all the way from Henderson, NV to Anchorage, AK. I can't wait for spring to come so I can start adding some mileage to this beautiful car. It has 27,500 miles and is bone stock with the exception of 17"/18" Antera wheels and Comptech springs. The only concern I have is the drivers side door not looking flush with the rear quarter panel when closed. It sticks out about 2-3mm to the rear panel. Is this normal for a vehicle of this age or is this a sign of an accident? Is there any way to adjust it? Other than that, I am very pleased to own my very first exotic. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

The door should be flush with the rear panel. Take a picture of it so we can see that you mean.

wctsao said:
The door should be flush with the rear panel. Take a picture of it so we can see that you mean.

13163nsx2.JPG

13163nsx5.JPG

The top part may stick out a little but the lower part of the door seems flush.
13163nsx4.JPG

13163nsx.JPG

13163nsxmr2c.JPG

Honda F1 Racing said:
Is that a TRD widebody kit on the MR2? It almost looks like a baby NSX :smile: Congrats on getting your NSX!

Yeah, the MR2 has a TRD widebody kit along with mods to suppport 650hp (JUN Stroker, GT35R, etc.). I needed a more streetable car so thats why I bought the NSX as my daily driver.

But as shown in the pictures, is there something I can do to adjust the alignment??

Last edited:
There might be an adjustable striker on the car like other Hondas. Look near the latch @ the steel loop. It should have a srew or two holding it and the loop will be mounted in the door jamb.. If so, loosen the screw and see if you can move the striker (metal loop) toward the interior of the car. If you are able to move it toward the interior, move it and then tighten it in the new position. This should pull the door inward enough to where it will seat flush with your quarter panel.

After my years of insurance adjusting, I can tell you that on an NSX, a slight fitment issue at that particular point on the door means the car has been totalled, the frame bent, and the title should reflect salvage.

Now that you're breathing again, it probably means that it just needs to be adjusted slightly. Beautiful car - congrats!

LeftLane said:
After my years of insurance adjusting, I can tell you that on an NSX, a slight fitment issue at that particular point on the door means the car has been totalled, the frame bent, and the title should reflect salvage.

Now that you're breathing again, it probably means that it just needs to be adjusted slightly. Beautiful car - congrats!

It is not even my car, and my heart skipped a beat. :eek: :biggrin:

My doors line up in a similar fashion....I just figured that the car was getting old and I cut it some slack.

Nice ride!

Especially on cars with long doors, the stress on the hinges causes the alignment to faulter depending on how the car is designed. On an older lexus I purchased, I supported the car door [opened] with a floor jack [carefully] and adjusted the door hinges. They doors then closed flush. The manner in which I was told to diagnose that this was needed was by opening the door fully and measuring against the concrete. You take that measurement against the distance from the concrete to the bottom of the door when closed. Good luck and enjoy one of the finest cars built.

Back