FINALLY!!! Learning to drive stick shift

So.... I've been learning for a couple of days now (4 hours total expreience). I have the hang of shifting alright (not really hard at all), but the problems I run into are:

Stalling out when I start (I think I'm just trying to get moving too quickly, so I let off the clutch too soon).

And stalling out when I stop (forgetting to put it into neutral before letting go of the clutch).

Also, I tend to apply too much gas switching up to second.

I think some of what people have told me about driving stick shift is having a bad effect on my application. For example, on thing I've heard dozens and dozens of times is that you have to "evenly lift off the clutch as you apply gas." Which is bogus: the clutch pedal travels all the way from the floor, whereas the gas is only pressed down a couple of centimeters. So I have to break away from that idea.

Any tips for a beginner? Much appreciated.

The best thing you can do is just practice a lot, and you WILL get better. A useful thing you can do, though, is find a flat parking lot or something and come to a stop. Put the car in first gear, take your foot off the brake, and slowly let your foot off the clutch until you start rolling forward, but not so much that you stall. This will give you an idea of where the clutch takes. It's important you do this on a flat surface, though, because otherwise you'll roll backward or forward with your foot off the brakes.

And I hope you're not learning in an NSX :).

A couple from me:

Learn where the 'break point' is on your clutch. That is the only part of the travel that you have to modulate closely.

Try and keep the revs low when starting in 1st reverse. You will have to give it some gas, but don't turn this into a high rev clutch burner. Shoot for less than 1500 rpms peak.

Try and engage 1st/Reverse as quickly (with your foot) as you can smoothly. Dragging it out wears the clutch. Going too quick will stall the car.

Shift sequentially through the gears 1,2,3,4,5,6 not 1,2,4,6

Move the gear lever normal speed for normal driving, not super quick. This minimizes the wear on the synchros.

When you stop, put the car in neutral and take your foot of the clutch (if only for a second) before re-engaging 1st. a.k.a. "Double clutch" This is also a good idea if you are skipping gears. Example: on freeway in 6th, slow to a crawl and want to put it in 2nd.

Use the e-brake when starting on steep hills (not super tight, just enough to hold the car). When the clutch starts to engage, then you disengage the brake. This helps eliminate the backwards 'roll' when you are a beginner.

Try and rev match. So if you are shifting from 1st to 2nd and after you have shifted into second and your foot is off the clutch the rpms are at 2500, then try and put them there next time you shift to second before you let your foot of the lutch. This should eventually be all one fluid motion.

Don't worry too much. Within a couple weeks it all becomes natural.

Ditto.

Anyway you have been given good advice, it takes time and practice. Once you learn first gear everything else will fall into place. Spend time in a parking lot practicing stop and go with first gear only. Learn where the clutch engages as you let out the clutch pedal, as its been pointed out this is the engagement point that matters.

As for giving it too much gas in second, are you letting off of the gas when you shift or are you, "power shifting", i.e. still pressing the gas pedal and shifting?

Happy shifting:wink:

Here’s a tip:

Put it in first gear.
Rev the engine to the red line.
Let in the clutch really fast.
Keep your foot on the gas for a while.

Tell us how it went. :biggrin:

So.... I've been learning for a couple of days now (4 hours total expreience). I have the hang of shifting alright (not really hard at all), but the problems I run into are:

Stalling out when I start (I think I'm just trying to get moving too quickly, so I let off the clutch too soon).

And stalling out when I stop (forgetting to put it into neutral before letting go of the clutch).

Also, I tend to apply too much gas switching up to second.

I think some of what people have told me about driving stick shift is having a bad effect on my application. For example, on thing I've heard dozens and dozens of times is that you have to "evenly lift off the clutch as you apply gas." Which is bogus: the clutch pedal travels all the way from the floor, whereas the gas is only pressed down a couple of centimeters. So I have to break away from that idea.

Any tips for a beginner? Much appreciated.

you know what? this is *precious*
I completely remember this ~learning experience~

Have fun and Welcome!!~~~~

*Mermi*

Resist the urge to just let the clutch go once your moving, instead just hold it for that extra second and then GENTLY release, do not "POP" it. 1st gear is the challenging gear to learn on, every other gear is easy once the car is moving. When you switch gears you do not need to add much gas, just be gentle with the gas and release gently and you should be fine. By the way the less gas you use the better, this will avoid any unnessary clutch wear, however the gas must be consistent and not just on and off, try to make the application as smooth as possible and more importantly..... have fun.

There have been a few very good tips given. I've taught quite a few people how to drive a manual on my NSX because it's an extremely easy clutch to use, especially because the car has low torque. You can actually get the car rolling by letting out the clutch very slowly. Then, once the car is moving and your foot is off the clutch, you can give it gas like an automatic. While I don't recommend doing this for the rest of your life, as it's riding the clutch, it will help you to learn the engagement point. Then you can learn to give it gas and let the clutch out simultaneously for faster starts.

Next, once the car is moving and you want to up shift, there's no reason for your foot to be on the gas when you go to use the clutch. The simple rule to follow for beginners is: When your left foot is on the clutch, your right foot should not be on the gas. You can let the clutch out as fast or slow as you want, but don't give the car gas until the clutch is all the way out. Once you get the feel of things, you can master letting the clutch out quickly while giving it gas at the same time. It should take you no more than a week of practicing to get the hang of it. The biggest mistake rookies make is thinking they have to give the car more gas while letting out the clutch, and then they end up jerking the car and stalling it out. It's all about finesse in the beginning, sort of like foreplay with a new girlfriend. :wink:

I recently taught my wife how to drive manual.. on the NSX. She did really good, only stalled it a couple of times... Now she won't let go of the car and wants to get the high of stepping on the gas... :frown:

Thought my girl to drive a stick, and now she wouldn't buy a sporty car that is auto. hehe. She got a 6 speed G35 as her first car.

niM

Wait till he does the dreaded "hill challenge" :biggrin:

I recently taught my wife how to drive manual.. on the NSX. She did really good, only stalled it a couple of times... Now she won't let go of the car and wants to get the high of stepping on the gas... :frown:

you are *set for life * my friend!!! soundz like the misses won't be complainin' on upgrades shall you include her 'lead foot.' Count yourself blessed!* ;)

Like others here, I've taught people to drive a stick on the NSX (my step son). As DocL says, it's an easy car in which to learn.

Best advice so far: Get the car rolling by feeling the take-up point on the clutch WITHOUT USING THE GAS. After that, you'll figure the rest out.

Good luck.

Like others here, I've taught people to drive a stick on the NSX (my step son). As DocL says, it's an easy car in which to learn.

Best advice so far: Get the car rolling by feeling the take-up point on the clutch WITHOUT USING THE GAS. After that, you'll figure the rest out.

Good luck.

This is the best advice, no gas on level ground a few times. The clutch is what makes the car move, not the gas like with an auto, I tell her. This is a great way to learn with only one action to worry about. Then with gas becomes very easy. Taught my fiance last weekend. Took her about 15 minutes. Remembering to push the clutch in at a stop? we are still working at that one!

Wow, this brings up some fond memories. I learned how to drive a stick with my first NSX. It only took a minute to get the hang of it as my father's intimidating voice and impatience kept me focused.

Wow, this brings up some fond memories. I learned how to drive a stick with my first NSX. It only took a minute to get the hang of it as my father's intimidating voice and impatience kept me focused.

LOL!! Your pops soundz like mine :biggrin: First learning how to drive stick BMW 3.25 convi. . . . .. Pops following me in ZR1 (Corvette feign).
I'm at the light...... um, oops, stalled for 3 lights..[Pops smiling as Miami'ains are honking and Pops is laughing his boody off at me ;) ] After that..... perfection..... Perfection is due to practice (support doesn't hurt) ;)

I learned how to drive at the same time I learned to drive a stick. I've taught several people who's dads got too mad to try anymore. :biggrin:

Hopefully you won't ever want to own (esp a sports car) an automatic again.

Well, that all sounds pretty good.

The car I'm learning on is a cavalier. Not enough juice to let it roll at idle without first giving it some gas (as far as I can tell). In an auto, you just go. But it feels like I'm taking off sooooooo slooooowwly if I do it "right" in a manual. Gives me a lot more respect for drag racers... especially the ones running sub 10s.

Something that may be contributing to my over revving in second gear is the fact that sports cars are the REASON I want to learn manual... so in my mind, I have this "idea" that clutches and sticks are for going fast.:biggrin: Also, it's the common advice that you have to apply gas "evenly" as you release the clutch. I'm never going to explain it like that to someone.

Thanks for all the input so far.

The car I'm learning on is a cavalier. Not enough juice to let it roll at idle without first giving it some gas (as far as I can tell).

Not true at all. I just taught another friend to drive stick on my Insight. Talk about no power? It has 60 hp without the electric motor. Still, there is enough power to roll the car without the gas.

Just try it. Don't use the gas to initially get the car rolling. Do this ten or fifteen times, and then, and only then start using the gas and clutch together.

Really. Try it.

Something that may be contributing to my over revving in second gear is the fact that sports cars are the REASON I want to learn manual... so in my mind, I have this "idea" that clutches and sticks are for going fast.:biggrin: Also, it's the common advice that you have to apply gas "evenly" as you release the clutch. I'm never going to explain it like that to someone.

Ignore trying to drive it like a sports car or a bat out of hell. Take it slow and learn proper technique/fundamentals then worry about that later, that will come with time and practice.

Just like you have to learn to crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run:wink:

Your profile says your a driving instructor.
As a driving instructor you should know how to drive a stick shift right??

Good thread. I was hesitant to learn driving stick back in the day but decided it was a necessity when I got more interested in cars. I learned on an 86 hyundai stellar with flames painted on the hood. It was a nightmare but I had it down in a couple days. Learning when the clutch engages is the key to seamless shifting and minimal wear. It seems to be much better in a honda than some others.

Your profile says your a driving instructor.
As a driving instructor you should know how to drive a stick shift right??

Well... I need to update my profile... but yes, I was a driving instructor. Fortunately (or "un" depending on how you look at it) our school used only automatics. My whole driving life, I've pleaded with everyone I knew who could teach me, but no one was willing. Anyway, I'm finally on track to being a "complete" driver.

Back