Finally bought an NSX

2ahgrnl.jpg
I won it at auction in Japan last night for 2.2 million Yen, thats approx $35000 NZD, not bad considering a second hand NSX goes for approx $85000NZD here.

I have to wait 6 weeks for it to arrive, the auction did not meet reserve so we negotiated at the end.

Car is 1991, 5 speed, 83000 kms on the clock with a grade 4 body rating and grade b interior rating which is good condition for age.

Any hints and tips for when it arrives?
1znbfxg.jpg

Regards

Gene

Congrats! I remember you mentioning that NSX prices in NZ were expensive.

BTW...I was in Auckland two years ago and did a loop in a rental car from there to Lake Taupo (Did a 4-play: bungee jumped, skydived, white water rafted, and did a helicopter tour of the area). Then I drove to Rotorua, up to Cape Reinga, did 90-mile beach, then back down to Auckland.

Its just like Canada - awesome!

Back to the topic at hand...

Post pics of the NSX! First thing I'd do is get the car in for service of the timing belt and waterpump if it already hasn't been done, get all fluids changed, car checked over, then put your right foot firmly on the gas pedal and soak up the miles!

so does that mean that the NSX price in Japan are like the USA?!
i thought it's cheaper! :confused:

just did a quick look at Japan auction Yahoo, and found this...

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g79837557

can't really see what is the reserve, but 3 million so far for a 1995 type r is totally not bad..

Last edited:
wait a second...the current price is 3,000,000 Yen which is around $35k Canadian. Next year that car can be imported into Canada so I wonder what it would end up selling for?

Tempting.:smile:

Last edited:
A type R will set you back about 8 million Yen, check this dealer list and knock off 1 million for a auction price as thats the usual mark up on cars.

I suggest using a European to source the car for you as I had been looking for 6 weeks and this was the only NSX in about 30 that was not accident damaged. I almost bid on a 1993 NSX that had all ts guards replaced and core support welded, also some suspension parts were just welded back together, only found out when my auction guy was looking under it with a mirror just prior to bidding. The problem is that you need someone to translate the auction reports, also the owner is allowed to bid to push the price up!

Mine started at 1.4 million and the owner wanted 2.4, we settled on 2.2.

About 11 NSX's go up for auction each week, in the 6 weeks I only saw 1 Type R and that went for 60k US.

Cheers

glad you had someone to check the 1993 and didn't buy it..

congradulations...

That's one good looking NSX. Congratulations! I looked up the NZD/USD, and it looks like you got it for USD 23,000, which is a great price.

I guess the Japanese, like the British, drive on the left hand side of the road.

Gday people, here are some pics this afternoon, should be on the boat in a couple of days.

A few questions:
Is the gauge cluster factory with the red rings around?
Is the engine cover supposed to have that red stuff on it, what is it made of as it looks to be cracking.

Other than that I am happy with a single owner, low kms, uncrashed NSX.

Cheers

Gene

2luqjyu.jpg

287nl7l.jpg

10yp9ty.jpg

vctggo.jpg

eb4etc.jpg

2wq60qo.jpg

122ybeg.jpg

2lutpb4.jpg

Gday people, here are some pics this afternoon, should be on the boat in a couple of days.

A few questions:
Is the gauge cluster factory with the red rings around?
Is the engine cover supposed to have that red stuff on it, what is it made of as it looks to be cracking.

Other than that I am happy with a single owner, low kms, uncrashed NSX.

Cheers

Gene

The answer for both of those questions in the US market is no. There are many others who can answer specifically to the JDM specs, but I suspect the answer to those questions will still be no.

Welcome and congratulations on your purchase.

Welcome and congrats!

Enjoy the ride!!!:smile:

Back