Finally a member of the club.

After two years of searching and scouring for the perfect NSX, I finally took the plunge this past weekend and came home with a gorgeous 1991 Sebring Silver NSX.

The listing for the car was first posted in April. At the time, I was deployed to Iraq, but I knew the car was exactly the car I was looking for; meticulously maintained, tastefully modified, forced induction. I crossed my fingers and hoped that nobody would swoop in and buy it before I got back to the States and was able to make it my own. I sent Jose, the owner, a few e-mails announcing my intention to purchase it, but I'm not sure that he thought I was serious.

Fortunately for me, I was serious, and the car didn't sell. Due to some scheduling conflicts (thanks, Army!) I wasn't able to fly down to Austin as quickly as I had hoped, but I was finally able to make this Journey this past Friday.

Driving up to Jose's house, I was awestruck by the car as it sat in the garage. Jose greeted me outside, and oh-so-reticently began to show me the car. It became immediately apparent that he wasn't just selling a car; he was about to give away his child. Everything was laid out in detail and I was (and still am) astonished the level of attention everything on the car received. It exceeded my expectations in every conceivable way.

I had planned to take the car right then and there, but Jose and I both agreed that, due to the possibility of inclement weather that night, and the fact that I was staying in a Valet-only hotel, that I should leave the car in his garage overnight. Jose refused to let me leave without the keys; I know that just having the car in the garage, knowing it was no longer his, was difficult enough.

My girlfriend and I picked up the car the next day and drove it to Fort Worth, where my parents live. Jose's emotional attachment to the car became immediately apparent. This car is like nothing I've ever driven before. It is simultaneously poised and visceral in a way I didn't think was possible. Nobody believes it could possibly be 18 years old; there are no creaks, groans, or rattles... even over rough pavement.

After our stop in Fort Worth, we continued our journey back to Tennessee. It was a long drive, but I've never had so much fun on a road trip. I caught dozens of people pulling out the camera phones to snap pictures of the car... especially when my girlfriend was driving. A few times, when I wasn't consciously thinking "Wow, I'm driving my dream car!", I would get angry at erratic drivers.... only to realize they were driving erratically to get a better look at the NSX.

I plan on taking the car to the Barnman in the future to get some maintenance done (the timing belt and water pump is coming up due), but other than that the car is perfect. A big thanks to Jose and his wife for having the courage to let go of such a wonderful vehicle. It was an extremely emotional moment for them, but they have an adorable new addition to their family that will help mend the wound. The car will be back in Austin after I get out of the military and will be able to see her former owners regularly.

I know, I know... if there are no pictures, it didn't happen. Well, I haven't had time to properly detail the car since I got home, so no new pictures. However, I do have a shot of the car from Fort Worth, along with my family. That's me on the left.

NSX0001.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Brian,

Congrats man, I looked at this one but it wasn't for me. Glad you got it and I'm sure it's a "bomb". We both have the same car - sort of -as in year, color but not in mods. You've got over the top mods. Mine is fairly stock. It's got comptech headers and a later model exhaust and it had Eibach springs which I took off and went back to stock. I needed ground clearance cause I'm driving it a fair amount.

They are great cars but yours is definitely way off the chain from stock. I'd love to ride in it some day. I love the wheels. Hope it performs just like you want it too. The Barn Man is who I just got mine back from. He's the best in our area and one of the best in the whole country. If you haven't met him - you'll like him a lot. Good guy and a great "wrench" and reasonable too!!

He'll do you right. I'd like to ask you something about your clutch, since it's not stock, how does it feel - pressure it takes to engage etc. Any shutter in first or reverse? Just curious.

Thanks - we're not to far away from each other - perhaps we could round up sometime. Good luck with the car!

Tim
Atlanta

First of all, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, and second of all nice looking car.

A few hotties in the pic too!

Doesn't get much better than this. Great story. For NSX owners, it is sort of like sending a child away. The previous owner of my NSX had tears in her eyes as I drove away.

As noted before, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Hope you are able to stay home and enjoy the NSX for years to come.

Welcome to the club! Nice Ride. I got mine just recently too so I know exactly what you are talking about. Go to you tube and check out all of the cool video on NSX's.

Hey Brian,

Congrats man, I looked at this one but it wasn't for me. Glad you got it and I'm sure it's a "bomb". We both have the same car - sort of -as in year, color but not in mods. You've got over the top mods. Mine is fairly stock. It's got comptech headers and a later model exhaust and it had Eibach springs which I took off and went back to stock. I needed ground clearance cause I'm driving it a fair amount.

They are great cars but yours is definitely way off the chain from stock. I'd love to ride in it some day. I love the wheels. Hope it performs just like you want it too. The Barn Man is who I just got mine back from. He's the best in our area and one of the best in the whole country. If you haven't met him - you'll like him a lot. Good guy and a great "wrench" and reasonable too!!

He'll do you right. I'd like to ask you something about your clutch, since it's not stock, how does it feel - pressure it takes to engage etc. Any shutter in first or reverse? Just curious.

Thanks - we're not to far away from each other - perhaps we could round up sometime. Good luck with the car!

Tim
Atlanta
The modifications are definitely "over the top" when it comes to performance, but that's exactly what I wanted in a weekend / special occasion car. I don't plan on putting a lot of miles on it (and won't be able to, with my schedule), but ground clearance hasn't been a big issue. Thankfully, entering and exiting my driveway doesn't scrape the front lip (but only just barely).

The clutch pressure is strong for sure. After driving it for 8 hours, going back to my Maxima, which has a high performance clutch, was a shock. So much so that I thought the clutch was broken! I haven't noticed any chatter, but it isn't a puck clutch.

Congratulations on your purchase. NSX ownership is a dream come true for me and obviously it is for you. While I purchased a red NSX, silver was a close 2nd on my list and would have taken one had the right car come around. The car looks beautiful and super nice matching rims. Nice picture with the family. Enjoy the car. Like others have mentioned, I certainly respect and admire you for your service to your country. Best Regards.....Andrew

GREAT write-up! Enjoyed it very much. :biggrin:
I can only imagine you being half-a-world-away, and for months hustling to check Prime every time you could get internet access....and hoping Jose's sale listing wasn't marked as sold/closed....
What a car you got there. I'd like to see it, and hear that exhaust set-up at full throttle.

Enjoy your new NSX, and thank you for being Army strong.

Doesn't get much better than this. Great story. For NSX owners, it is sort of like sending a child away. The previous owner of my NSX had tears in her eyes as I drove away.

As noted before, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Hope you are able to stay home and enjoy the NSX for years to come.

Ditto.

Welcome! and Congrats on your purchase. :smile:

I think I bought the steering wheel that was on your car before the one you have now. A Momo Tuner 320.

I know the car will be in good hands. It was great meeting Brian and Amy and seeing how excited they both were about the car. As excited as Brian was, I was equally as sad.

I'll be back once things settle down a bit.

If you don't mind me asking...how much did you pay for the car? I'm looking for one myself :smile:

CONGRATS!!! Just wished I was in your shoes with that beautiful NSX!

Congrats and welcome!

Everyone, thank you for all the kind words. I hope to remain a member of the NSX community for many years and am looking forward to getting to know some of the Prime members in TN and KY.

Back