Final Cost of 02+ Conversion

Now that I have bought my wife her "dream car" I can focus on setting aside finances for my dream car.:biggrin:

As a long term project, I would like to convert it to the 2002 face lift.

Using Science of Speed as my ballpark, the cost of parts for headlights, front bumper, side skirts, rear valance, and NSX-R diffuser comes out to just under $8400 (ouch... that's like... 75 horsepower worth of cash).

Let's assume I install all of it myself. What should I expect to pay to have it painted (Dealership vs. Custom shop using body matched factory colors)?

+1 as someone else who would like to know.

i would roughly estimate 15k for the conversion as those i've seen on prime who do the conversion usually end up with an nsx-r hood + spoiler as well. and i've seen some say that if they had the chance to do it again they would go with the oem (polyurethane) front bumper with oem 2002 bumper support as well (if my memory serves me correctly).

Now that I have bought my wife her "dream car" I can focus on setting aside finances for my dream car.:biggrin:

As a long term project, I would like to convert it to the 2002 face lift.

Using Science of Speed as my ballpark, the cost of parts for headlights, front bumper, side skirts, rear valance, and NSX-R diffuser comes out to just under $8400 (ouch... that's like... 75 horsepower worth of cash).

Let's assume I install all of it myself. What should I expect to pay to have it painted (Dealership vs. Custom shop using body matched factory colors)?

If you want a full 02+ conversion (cosmetic), then you are looking at a pretty hefty bill. You could consider breaking up into "stages" if your wallet cant handle the full deal: front conversion, rear conversion, and side conversion. I did the front conversion first, and looking into doing the rear when I have the cash flow.

Here's my cost for the front conversion. I did buy a few used parts, and thus made my cost a bit lower. Also, I did all the labour myself; took 2 days to do the whole thing.

OEM lights 1500
Aftermarket HID 100
Misc Honda parts 500
SOS headlight brackets 150
Tracy Sports bumper 1100
Used aftermarket hood 400
Used OEM lip 100
Paint 700

That's about $4500.

If you want a full 02+ conversion (cosmetic), then you are looking at a pretty hefty bill. You could consider breaking up into "stages" if your wallet cant handle the full deal: front conversion, rear conversion, and side conversion. I did the front conversion first, and looking into doing the rear when I have the cash flow.

Here's my cost for the front conversion. I did buy a few used parts, and thus made my cost a bit lower. Also, I did all the labour myself; took 2 days to do the whole thing.

OEM lights 1500
Aftermarket HID 100
Misc Honda parts 500
SOS headlight brackets 150
Tracy Sports bumper 1100
Used aftermarket hood 400
Used OEM lip 100
Paint 700

That's about $4500.

thats most of the work right there..the rear valence and side skirts arent that much money...rear valence you have to buy NEW since you rarely see one for sale..side skirts you can find here and there on classifieds as well as the diffuser...with that said, how did OP get 8400 and someone even said 15,000 when majority of the work according to you can be done for 4500?

zaid

Last edited:
full oem parts will run about 10k parts only i believe ,thats the reason i just bought a 2002+ nsx didnt wanna bother doing a conversion .

i.e say i bought a 2000 nsx for like 40 to 45K and did a conversion its almost the same price as 2002 nsx

thats most of the work right there..the rear valence and side skirts arent that much money...rear valence you have to buy NEW since you rarely see one for sale..side skirts you can find here and there on classifieds as well as the diffuser...with that said, how did OP get 8400 and someone even said 15,000 when majority of the work according to you can be done for 4500?

zaid

Have to factor in paint and labor as well

^ 1) yes paint and labor to paint all the conversion parts properly (hood, bumper top and bottom, side skirts door pieces, rear valence will be at least 4k to do properly
2) the oem parts are 10k alone if you use all oem, hood, hid, bumper etc. Heck the side skirts and door pieces (oem) are 2k by themselves. This is for oem us parts ( not nsxr parts). The oem nsxr hood is 10k by itself

3) many do 02+ conversions. Few are done properly and very few stack up to factory 02+

4) if you want to add in the 2001 abs upgrade add another 2k

5) if you add a 6 speed add another 4.5 k

Way more cost effective to just buy an 02+

6 factor in resale value and it is a no brainer from a purely financial perspective to buy a 02+ and not go through the hassle

I'd paint flames, an italian racing stripe, and a dancing pony on your car for $4000

...and I'd have fun doing it too :biggrin:

Flames and racing stripes I can handle but once u start with a dancing point then it will look like your car..keep the unicorn for your car :biggrin:

Zaid

Ok now it makes more sense.
I was just curious..I actually prefer the pop lights..but whol knows maybe someday I will do a conversion.

pS doin 02+ conversion do you think it will hurt resale?
From the conversions that have been on market it doesn't seem like it recoups the cost and I haven't seen those converted sell muchore than the ones kept original...am I wrong? Given that GPW aren't that easy to find would I be smart to keep my excellent condition 68k miles 2000 gpw stock?

Zaid

^ 1) yes paint and labor to paint all the conversion parts properly (hood, bumper top and bottom, side skirts door pieces, rear valence will be at least 4k to do properly
2) the oem parts are 10k alone if you use all oem, hood, hid, bumper etc. Heck the side skirts and door pieces (oem) are 2k by themselves. This is for oem us parts ( not nsxr parts). The oem nsxr hood is 10k by itself

3) many do 02+ conversions. Few are done properly and very few stack up to factory 02+

4) if you want to add in the 2001 abs upgrade add another 2k

5) if you add a 6 speed add another 4.5 k

Way more cost effective to just buy an 02+

6 factor in resale value and it is a no brainer from a purely financial perspective to buy a 02+ and not go through the hassle

Yes that is exactly my point. From a financial perspective your better keeping it stock. If you want 02+ buy one

modding cars is usually a losing proposition financially, i think its smart for those who spent more and bought an 02+ because that is what they ultimately wanted.

With all the cars you have it seems that you have no financial issues that would prevent you from having any car you'd like within reason. My advice is that any conversion would not only cost you a bunch but hurt resale value. You've got a rare bird anyway and it will always be a sought after car - if you would like a later model - selling yours shouldn't be a problem. While it's not easy to find white - they are out there - and I would never destroy the originality of a car simply for looks. It sure won't matter to anyone cause not many even know the difference anyway.

You are one of the "proud" few if you didn't know it. So are we all - this is a small tightly knit group. I'd always recommend keeping a car stock unless you want Chip Foose to work on it. Otherwise you'll only reduce the value of the car you have!

If you want a coupe with the 02+ look, your only option is to do the upgrade. Downforce makes a really nice kit that is a significant discount over OEM and it is lighter. A good money saver is to find a used OEM 02+ hood, as it will be less $ than a CF NSX-R type and more secure.

Personally, I am a fan of the 91-01 body style. I think it makes the car look lower and sleeker than the 02+, which looks blocky and more "ground effect" to me.

When I get my 2 nd NSX I'll opt to just buy an 02, the numbers for na1+conversion just don't add up to me

imho...I think it's a personal decision on what makes it "worth it" for an NSX owner or not. For some, simply wanting an OBD1 and a coupe, cable throttle, AND wanting the updated look and weight savings will justify the cost.

Last edited:
My reasons for wanting to do the upgrade are that I want a coupe first and foremost. I also like the "freshness" of the updated model. I also know that in order to do just the front, there are a lot of pieces involved simply because the headlights don't fit into the space between the old style hood and bumper.

I also would feel like a douche driving around in a partially complete NSX (parts, but no paint, for example).

For what it's worth, the 02 update would take a back seat to the performance mods I have planned. Once the car can do what I want it to do, I will work on making it look how I want it to look.

I have also considered buying an NSX which already needs the front end replaced and just doing the upgrade instead of restoring it to it's original condition. The main problem here would be ensuring no frame damage or other permanent damage.

My goal is to buy a car that I can work on and build making it into exactly what I envision. It's a project that I plan on spending years completing, so the cost, while relevant, is something that will be spread out between tax returns and other incidental windfalls and saving up.

the price of OEM parts is off the chain.

if you can get a FULL front conversion of all OEM parts for 4500 you found a freaking unicorn. :smile:

anyway the price is about right for 90% of the oem parts from Downforce

SOS doesnt sell ALL the parts you need ( I think ) I am sure they can order them for you though.

lights, hood, bumper,lower bumper skirt, HID kits mounted under the lights, front bumper beam, radiator support brackets, wire harness, for all that, radiator Ducts, Ac ducts, is almost 8900-10K depending where you got it.

but if you did the upgrade in stages it would'nt kill your walet all at once.

I dont like the front conversions I like my pop-ups, but its in the eye of the beholder. the 02+ look still demands respect. its an NSX

Last edited:
If you want a coupe with the 02+ look, your only option is to do the upgrade. Downforce makes a really nice kit that is a significant discount over OEM and it is lighter. A good money saver is to find a used OEM 02+ hood, as it will be less $ than a CF NSX-R type and more secure...

+1

Go with Downforce for your parts/prices, or be patient and round up the large pieces yourself when it comes up on the Marketplace, but that could take months to years. Good luck! :cool:

Ok now it makes more sense.
I was just curious..I actually prefer the pop lights..but whol knows maybe someday I will do a conversion.

pS doin 02+ conversion do you think it will hurt resale?
From the conversions that have been on market it doesn't seem like it recoups the cost and I haven't seen those converted sell muchore than the ones kept original...am I wrong? Given that GPW aren't that easy to find would I be smart to keep my excellent condition 68k miles 2000 gpw stock?

Zaid

I doubt it'll hurt the value, but it's not going to help it much either. Just keep your original parts and when you plan on selling return it back to stock and sell the conversion parts.

MOSES hit the nail on the head. I agree 100% with that statement.

keep all the OEM parts, return it to stock when you go to sell it, and then dump the 02+ parts into the ForSale section of prime. they will sell with in minutes of posting the part.

I'm not so much concerned with getting OEM parts. Saving a $1 for the same final result is cool with me. As for the hood, I could go type-R style or regular... so whichever I get a better deal on when the time comes. Other than that, and the embedded rear turn signals, I like all the looks of the base model 02+.

BTW, who was the member that did the 02 conversion and kept the 91-01 front bumper? Anyone remember the thread title?

Last edited:
the NSX is at the top of the food chain so there is no BASE model NSX LOL

but

Back