Favorite dog breed?

I'm getting a dog or two in the coming months, now that I have a home large enough (1800sqft), and a yard (a shade under an acre). I've always loved Golden Retrievers, as well as Beagles. Wife won't take a dog any bigger than a Golden (maybe a Husky), and I won't take a dog any smaller than a Beagle. I live in northern MI, so the dog has to be able to stand snow 12 months a year (:p). Easy to train and keep is good, and, um, that's about it. Kids are 14 and 16, but there is a toddler that would visit on occassion. No other pets to worry about in the house.

So what breeds rock your boat, and why?

btw, pics are ALWAYS good...

I have had Labradors my whole life, I love all dogs...but Labs are my favorite by far. I have a white Lab named Mesa, she is 8 months old and to me has been just a perfect dog so far. Beautiful, smart, obediant, shes just a great companion across the board... And she loves to ride in the NSX too! (gotta put a sheet on the black Recaros though, the white hair does not mix well) BTW did I say this dog is smart? Haha she is so smart some times its scary...VERY fast learner.

**Warning Labs can annihilate almost anything so if you ever get one be prepared to have lots of things chewed up in the first year, especially the first 6 months... I swear my dog is part beaver anything in my house that was wood, was pretty much shredded...coffee tables, plant stands, base boards, you name it lol.
:D

PS... I wish I had some pics to post, but I am at work, and only have cell phone pics =( She is so damn cute!

PHOEN$X said:
I would get the breed in this video clip for your new house. :D

:cool:

BTW, I plan I getting 2 dogs, and they will be named Shelby (after Carrol Shelby) and Senna (after, well, you can figure it out). Both will be girls (95% sure of this), and very few people will understand the names, since they sound like female names...

thanks!!!

here's my Golden named Codey!

DSC00754.jpg

Personally, whatever type of dog you decide on, I recommend getting a mutt. Generally, a lot less health problems, they live longer, and you can save one from the pound or the local rescue, instead of potentially supporting puppy mills.

My wife and I decided we wanted big dogs. Newfoundlands is our favorite breed, but we felt it wasn't fair to a breed that is meant for cold climates to live in the heat of Texas. So we decided on Great Danes.

We went to the local Great Dane rescue, and waited for a mixed breed Great Dane. We now have two of them.

For pictures of my dogs (and many others), look here:http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35971&perpage=50&pagenumber=2

Goldens are one of the best breeds for kids, companionship, training, etc....super friendly demeanor, very loyal, very smart, and wanting to please you all the time. Ours is 1, and we've had him since 6 weeks - never chewed anything, never had any potty problems, never snapped at the kids - great dog. Be ready for them to want something in or around their mouth all the time, though - not necessarily to chew, just to engage their natural instincts.

Here's Champ:

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/8981Champ_Mar_002-thumb.jpg[/img]

Chalk up a vote for labs.

Funny but I've always heard and its been my experience that mutt's have health problems and don't live as long. My family has had a few mutts and none have lived past 8 or 9 (large dogs) while our German Shepards have gone on to 11, 13 and 14 years. The one that died at 11 was hit by a car when it was 7 and was never teh same after that.

As for Goldens: best dog ever. They seem to keep the weight off better than labs, and they don't shed that fine bristle hair everywhere like a lab. I have a short-haired golden and he doesn't shed much at all. I've also heard that labs can have a mean streak in them, while I've never heard of a Golden that attacked someone. Even when I was threatened once, my golden just got between me and hte attacker and showed his teeth. Very loyal dog.

If you do get a golden, be prepared for HIGH ENERGY the first 4-6 years. Also be prepared for a dog that loves pools/lakes, loves to give kisses, and will follow you everywhere! :)

My golden knows the command "Hug". If I get down on my knees and say "hug", he'll put his pays around my neck and start giving me kisses. Never on any other command does he do this, but I never taught him this command either! Maybe he's seen my family giving hugs or something?

Great dog!

Other great breeds: Labs (ya, they're cool dogs!!), Visla (pronounced vee-sla or however you spell it??)

Also, another good breed is hte Basenji. My girlfriend has one and I love it!! V-E-R-Y smart dog!!! African hunting dog...it N-E-V-E-R barks!! It also isn't very 'clingy'. Another words, it has some characteristics of a cat and can be happy by itself, but also loves to be around people. It rarely sheds, it doesn't bark, and it only gets to be about 25-35lbs more or less. very cute dog too!!!

Size plays a huge factor in how long some dogs live. The bigger the dog, the shorter the life span. Both my dogs are already considered seniors, even though they are 6 and 7.

However, generally, if you compare a pure-bred and a mutt of roughly the same type, the mutt will live longer and be healthier. It mainly has to do with inbreeding. Even though the higher-end breeders try to go out of their way to avoid inbreeding, sometimes it can't be avoided. That is why some breeds are known for specific health problems: for example, golden retrievers have hip and back issues, Great Danes and dalmatians have a higher than usual percentage of deafness, etc.

It applies to all animals, whether it is dogs or humans: inbreeding increases the chance of health issues and defects.

The advantage of getting a particular breed is that they are bred for a specific appearance and temperament. As a result, you have better odds for what a particular dog might look and act like before you bring him/her home. This is not to say that you can't find a mutt who turns out to be a great dog, only that his/her personality might not be as predictable. And this is also not to say that you can't get your dog from an animal shelter; most breeds have "breed rescue" programs that can notify when a stray/orphan of your preferred breed is available.

No offense to those who have a favorite breed that they own - heck, I do, too - but I suggest you do research that covers all the various breeds. If you rely on personal experiences, you are going to be hearing reports skewed primarily to the most popular breeds, which may not fit your particular needs. Also, you might decide that you want to live with a dog breed that is NOT the most numerous one in town, just to be a little bit different. For example, few people might think of you as "the guy with the golden retriever" but you might become well known as "the guy with that amazingly cute dog with the long French name". It's kind of like owning a sports car that is not the most numerous one in town - something that pretty much all of us can identify with.

There are LOTS of good books on the market about dog breeds (i.e. one book that describes a lot of different breeds) that can help you select one that fits your needs best. The best of these books describe not only each breed's appearance and disposition, but also the environment into which they will best fit. One book that I like a lot - because it does all of this, AND the photos of the dog breeds are both accurate and high quality - is Harper's Illustrated Handbook of Dogs by Roger Caras:

0062731645.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

but there are lots of other good ones around.

There are also some websites that can help you select a breed that fits your household's needs, such as this one.

I have a boxer and love it, but that's out for you considering the cold. I also have an American Eskimo which would be perfect for your climate. Malamute's are awesome as well, but if you want a dog that can handle the climate, you also have to be ready to handle the shedding.

I had a Cairn Terrier (the book cover posted has a black one on it) for 16 years - one of the best dogs ever. Smart, obedient, well behaved, lap sized yet tough.

I also like mini-dachshunds -another inside dog that doesn't destroy the house when inisde.

I like smaller dogs that canbe in the house with us. Part of the family.

I am also partial to mutts. I have had mutts (medium sized) my whole live and they have all lived into their late teen's. My current dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback/German Shepard mix probably with a few others mixed in. I rescued him from the Humane Society when he was about 8 months old and with a small amount of training he has become an amazing dog. He now competes in agility trials where the mutts are called "All Americans!"

Attachments

• Weaves for Prime.jpg
    Weaves for Prime.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 140
One thing about beagles: I have heard they are very stubborn. My buddy just got one, and in his research, that was one of the characteristics that was mentioned often.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE !
ROTTWEILER beautiful,powerful,obedient,noble and above all loyalty.

Ive been breeding them for 15 years and housed more than 50.

The Rottweiler can be a wonderful friend or fierce enemy.

Training highly recomended ,its simple requires 20 min / day for 30 weeks then enjoy the rest of the time communicating effectively with the champion.

This is a choice I have NEVER regreted. :cool:

nkb said:
One thing about beagles: I have heard they are very stubborn. My buddy just got one, and in his research, that was one of the characteristics that was mentioned often.
I have two beagles, and they are.

hlweyl said:
I have a yellow lab but love all dogs big or small. I think they are better than most humans.

nkb said:

hlweyl said:
I have a yellow lab but love all dogs big or small. I think they are better than most humans.

Hi

Not sure what the name of this type of dog is in english. But she was the best!

Regards

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 120
Back