Farmers involved in 30000 title changes

Hi guys,

Received a letter from state attorney general today. Apparently there are 30000 vehicles in all 50 states that might have clear titles that should have branded or salvaged titles. My state has sued Farmers insurance and this is huge. Please contact me for more info. This is no joke I just found out my 98 prelude I bought in 98 might be branded. Check and see if your car other than your nsx might be involved.

John in Oregon.

email [email protected]

Any attorneys help me out please and also what about the carfax guarntee?

but it should have NOTHING to do with an insurace company...its the state that issues the title and inspects it. not the insurnace company.

the state should be sueing themselve if this did indeed happen,
in case someone doesnt know how it works

Jack buys car.....
Jack wrecks car......
Insurance company totals car out on recomindation of repair shop, they pay Jack $$$....
State changes title to "salvage"....
Insurance company sells car at auction with salvage title for pennies compared to what they paid Jack.....
Bob buys the car for pennies...fixes the car and "washes" the title in florida or texas...(only 2 states i know of that you can "clean" a title by reinspecting a vehical"
Bob takes the car with the clean title and trades it in or sells it and makes MAD CASH YO!!!

so like i said...it has nothing to do with farmers or statefarm or any other insurance agency and this ruling is under appeal already as it should be. the insurance companies are bound by what the state provides, they are not able to look deeper into the titling of a vehcial.

01blacks4 said:
but it should have NOTHING to do with an insurace company...its the state that issues the title and inspects it. not the insurnace company.

the state should be sueing themselve if this did indeed happen,
in case someone doesnt know how it works

Jack buys car.....
Jack wrecks car......
Insurance company totals car out on recomindation of repair shop, they pay Jack $$$....
Insurance company sells car at auction with salvage title for pennies compared to what they paid Jack.....
Bob buys the car for pennies...fixes the car and "washes" the title in florida or texas...(only 2 states i know of that you can "clean" a title by reinspecting a vehical"
Bob takes the car with the clean title and trades it in or sells it and makes MAD CASH YO!!!

so like i said...it has nothing to do with farmers or statefarm or any other insurance agency and this ruling is under appeal already as it should be. the insurance companies are bound by what the state provides, they are not able to look deeper into the titling of a vehcial.

Unless insurance company pays off the car and finds a way to sell it without ever getting a salvage title.

My wife's Infiniti was hit by someone with Farmer's insurance. Their initial estimate to repair her $12,000 car was under $4000. The final repair bill? Over $11,000. I told them from the time the car was hit that it should be totalled but those criminals at Farmers insisted it be repaired and refused to total it. I wouldn't put it past them to try to resell salvaged cars as clean. They will screw anyone for a buck.

01blacks4 said:

If Jack buys the car back from insurance company there will be no salvage history.

The insurance company auctions off the car it is at this point that the car gets branded nothing to do with the state. Every salvage vehicle I have purchased has come with paperwork , in NY a 907-a paper comes with salvage vehicles, that waht it was several years ago. I have not bought a salvage vehicle in several years. In the past I have bought equally wrecked vehicles from the same salvage yards one with 907 and another with a regular title. The one with the regular title was a lot more money because if fixed it could be sold as never been wrecked for a lot more loot. I would never do this but some people have caught on to this thus buying back their own wrecks from the insurance company before the wreck goes to auction and gets branded. I think this is how so many vehicles that should be branded are not.

The only way to insure you will not get a car with past damage is to buy the vehicle new or to have access to the insurance comapny database. CARFAX is a joke. I know for a fact that vehicles that have been totalled show up on CARFAX as clean.

Sorry I just have to laught at this. :biggrin: Everybody wants to blame everybody else. Why would an insurance company care what the title says once they've totalled the vehicle?

SCS2k said:
Unless insurance company pays off the car and finds a way to sell it without ever getting a salvage title.

My wife's Infiniti was hit by someone with Farmer's insurance. Their initial estimate to repair her $12,000 car was under $4000. The final repair bill? Over $11,000. I told them from the time the car was hit that it should be totalled but those criminals at Farmers insisted it be repaired and refused to total it. I wouldn't put it past them to try to resell salvaged cars as clean. They will screw anyone for a buck.

actually its not "farmers" quote, its a body shops view of the damage. why would they listen to you? you OF COURSE wanted a new car, even it is was 4K in damage you wanted a new car...you wanted to get a little something for nothing from the deal.....
i always find it amazing how people hate insurace companies, compalin about high rates etc,etc,etc...then try and milk them and become thier best friend when they NEED the insurance...

sounds lke the body shop was trying to garentee his job...he comes in low knowing that once started they will not/ can not pull the plug on the project...if he said "yeah its totaled" hes out of work......seems like the only guy not getting screwed in your situation is the body shop.....

AND FARMERS DOESNT SELL CARS........this is the point im trying to make you see.......they have NOTHING to do with the title of the car.

01blacks4 said:
actually its not "farmers" quote, its a body shops view of the damage. why would they listen to you? you OF COURSE wanted a new car, even it is was 4K in damage you wanted a new car...you wanted to get a little something for nothing from the deal.....
i always find it amazing how people hate insurace companies, compalin about high rates etc,etc,etc...then try and milk them and become thier best friend when they NEED the insurance...

sounds lke the body shop was trying to garentee his job...he comes in low knowing that once started they will not/ can not pull the plug on the project...if he said "yeah its totaled" hes out of work......seems like the only guy not getting screwed in your situation is the body shop.....

AND FARMERS DOESNT SELL CARS........this is the point im trying to make you see.......they have NOTHING to do with the title of the car.

Excellent points. I almost had the same thing happen with a wreck I had in 94. The body shop disassembled the vehicle to do the estimate correctly, or so they said. They tried to make the vehicle non-transportable so they would be guaranteed the job. I pushed like crazy to get the insurance company to total the vehicle and when they did the manager of the body shop was fuming mad.
The body shop wanted me to drive a 8 year old car while they took 45 days to repair mine. So I get to make payments on a new vehicle and drive a 6 year old one? I don't think so.

01blacks4 said:

Actually, IT WAS Farmer's quote. The body shop I wanted to use told me and them the car should be totalled, THEIR adjuster said NO. I didn't want a new car, nor did I ask for one, I wanted the $10-$12k my now damaged car was worth, once it has sustained over $11k in damage it would no longer be worth even close to that unless I chose to lie and not disclose its damage history to a potential buyer. I'm not the type of person who would do that so I took a huge hit on the car because Farmer's wouldn't do the right thing.

And yes, insurance companies DO sell cars. Once they have purchased it from the old owner, they SELL it. A clean titled car, even a damaged one, is worth much more than one with a salvage title because it can then be repaired and with a dishonest seller, sold without the buyer knowing. How do I know? I have several family members in the car business and they see these unscrupulous activities all of the time (they don't do it). I also don't appreciate you saying that I was trying to get something for nothing, I simply wanted Farmer's to do the right thing and pay for a car that had been totalled (damage >80% of its value).

As a physician and I deal with insurance companies on a daily basis, they will lie, cheat and steal in order to delay or deny payments. They make millions of dollars a year on interest from delayed or denied payments. Saving a few bucks on any claim when multiplied by the thousands of claims each year adds up to millions of dollars in profits that should have rightfully gone to the insured individuals. I pay my premiums on time and don't ask for anything more than what I paid for. Please don't try to impugn my character when you know nothing about me or the situation. It also appears that the Attorney General of the State of Oregon may disagreee with you.

Last edited:
White92 said:
Sorry I just have to laught at this. :biggrin: Everybody wants to blame everybody else. Why would an insurance company care what the title says once they've totalled the vehicle?

Once they've purchased the car from the old owner by paying it off, they then sell it. They can sell a car for much more if it has a clean title, that's why.

SCS2k said:
Once they've purchased the car from the old owner by paying it off, they then sell it. They can sell for much more if it has a clean title. That's why.

But they don't just sell the car. The car is auctioned off, yes it would bring more with a good title but that is not up to the insurance company to issue the title. Once the car hits the salvage auction and the car has been paid out on a claim as a total, theft, flood or export that is what the title will be branded.
Now maybe people at the auction house or somewhere after might wash the title, but it is not the insurance company. Unless the insurance company owns the auction house. Hmmmm...

steveny said:
But they don't just sell the car. The car is auctioned off, yes it would bring more with a good title but that is not up to the insurance company to issue the title. Once the car hits the salvage auction and the car has been paid out on a claim as a total, theft, flood or export that is what the title will be branded.
Now maybe people at the auction house or somewhere after might wash the title, but it is not the insurance company. Unless the insurance company owns the auction house. Hmmmm...

The insurance company is the one that chooses to send the car to auction. If they can sell it outright, they often will. All they have to do is pay off the previous owner and then acquire the title without it being reported as totalled.

Farmer's doesn't report it as totalled = title stays clean= they sell it for more $ (at auction or elsewhere).

steveny said:
Look what I found...
http://www.allstate-usa.com/?car_id=191833690&dealer_id=1064732

Back