FAQ Pricing

Why is there such a large jump in pricing between the 94' and the 95'? I am trying to find out how much this should come into play with my buying decision.
Thanks
Frank

I have heard mixed things about the '95's and '96's. Heavier due to reinforment for the targa top, and very creaky sounding on the inside. I don't know from experience beacause I have a coupe...my preference, though. Targa top looks sweet, but I like that my '94 is a tad lighter, and from what I gather...perhaps a bit quieter. I have heard that if you really like the targa top...go the full nine and get a '97+ when even more changes went into refining the top.

I don't think the major changes for a 97' were for the top. The two biggest changes were the shift to a 6 speed trans and going from 3.0ltr to 3.2ltr engine and twenty additional HP. You can read about all the other changes listed elsewhere on this forum. It's my opinion, you have the best year for 3.0ltr engine cars. Just check on the service/tech bulletins for the other years. If memory serves me, there were none on the 94. There should be no noises on a Targa if it's properly lubed. There definately is a difference in body rigidity with the top off. I've owned a 95 and now have a Zanardi. Both great cars but with a little dfferent purpose.

Originally posted by Chuck:
I don't think the major changes for a 97' were for the top.

While most would consider the larger engine and six-speed the "major" changes for '97, they did use stronger (albeit thinner) body panels and a new aluminum alloy in selected body areas. These changes reduced weight and increased rigidity. The '97+ is more rigid than the '95-96, although not as rigid as the '91-94 coupes.

Thanks for the replies. Was there a major increase in price? or are the difference's in pricing on the FAQ because of demand? Once again just trying to make the most educated buying decision.
Thanks again
Frank

Originally posted by Slickspop:
Was there a major increase in price? or are the difference's in pricing on the FAQ because of demand?

There was indeed a significant price increase when the NSX-T was introduced in 1995. I believe the price increased around $7K that year, although it's tough finding apples-to-apples figures because some include the luxury tax and others don't. The '94 cost $73,200 including $700 but excluding luxury tax.

In subsequent years, when the NSX-T was sold alongside the NSX Coupe, there was a $4K premium in MSRP for the -T.

However, it's safe to say that prices at this point are strictly a function of supply and demand.

Back