FAQ outdated?

HI everyone,

Well one step closer to a purchase. I just set up the prepurchase inspection for the car I am trying to buy. In the FAQ it states this,
In addition to everything below, it's also a good idea to have the car checked out by an NSX-certified mechanic at an Acura service center. It'll only cost $60-$80.

The dealer is charging me a price of $156.00 for the inspection. Is the FAQ just outdated or am I just getting the shaft?

It don't really care, If it was $300 I would still get it because I think it is money well spent. I thought I would let someone know it needs to be updated.

Also, Do I have to specify that I want a NSX certified mechanic to do the inspection or would they do this without saying.

Thanks
Mike

comtec said:
Also, Do I have to specify that I want a NSX certified mechanic to do the inspection or would they do this without saying.

Thanks
Mike

When getting the NSX serviced, you should always specify exactly what you want. In the case of the PPI, I would only use an NSX certified mechanic and be sure to tell the dealer that is what you want.

Last edited:
You're getting the shaft.

I find it hard to believe that labor rates in Memphis, TN are more expensive than they are in Newport Beach, CA and you can find several very good NSX shops and Acura dealers in and around me that would do a thorough PPI for $100 - $150.

Da Hapa said:

I find it hard to believe that labor rates in Memphis, TN are more expensive than they are in Newport Beach, CA and you can find several very good NSX shops and Acura dealers in and around me that would do a thorough PPI for $100 - $150.

Don't know about memphis the car is out of state.

Acura of Cleveland in ohio, i'm still probably geting the shaft though.

Mike

I just checked and they told me they have 2 nsx trained technicians and that one of them would do the inspection.

Mike

Comtec,

I'm a Clevelander and Acura of Cleveland is a quality place. They worked on mine before and I would recommend them (most the other acura dealers around here have NO clue). Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase!!

Bill
'95 NSX-T

Bill_C said:
Comtec,

I'm a Clevelander and Acura of Cleveland is a quality place. They worked on mine before and I would recommend them (most the other acura dealers around here have NO clue). Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase!!

Bill
'95 NSX-T

Good to here bill and thanks. Do you happen to know the black 1997 with the wings west from cleveland?

Mike

Most dealers probably do not have NSX certified tech anymore. The original certification was done in the early 90's. I seriously doubt you will find NSX certified tech still working in the dealership in Memphis TN. after this many years. NSX's are routinely work on at a dealership by line techs, The quality of work depends on the individual.

I think I paid roughly $200 for mine at Courtesy Acura in Littleton Colorado.

comtec said:
Don't know about memphis the car is out of state.

Acura of Cleveland in ohio, i'm still probably geting the shaft though.

Mike
Sorry Mike. Your profile says Memphis so I assumed. You know what they say about assumption...

Da Hapa said:
Sorry Mike. Your profile says Memphis so I assumed. You know what they say about assumption...

No problems Christian. I moved to memphis because of work about 7 years ago and have yet to see an NSX here.

I just got the call from acura of cleveland and the inspection was completed. The only thing they could find wrong was that the rear brake pads were a little worn.:smile:

Deposit paid and pickup scheduled for oct.20::biggrin:

Mike

Da Hapa said:

well you have to take into consideration that people in memphis are more likely to shoot you in the face. Thats why its about 50bucks more. The dealership is figuring the extra 50 for the medical bills that the inspector is likely to have. Those people in memphis are crazy. Theyll basically kill you and then go eat dinner. Ive been there....I know.... :) I pulled into a gas station after enjoying a nice meal at benihanas and saw a guy taking a beating (dunno if he survived). The cashier called the police. This was at the first of summer just before benihana shut down for remodeling.

comtec said:
I just got the call from acura of cleveland and the inspection was completed. The only thing they could find wrong was that the rear brake pads were a little worn.:smile:

Deposit paid and pickup scheduled for oct.20::biggrin:

Mike

Im excited for you. Maybe Ill see you around. Im in Germantown and memphis a lot. My wife likes to shop (hard to believe, right?).

d1 guy said:
Im excited for you. Maybe Ill see you around. Im in Germantown and memphis a lot. My wife likes to shop (hard to believe, right?).

Thanks d1 guy, you can count on it. I still want to here your new exhaust.

Back