Fair price for a heavily modified (NON FI) 91'?

Well, the thought came to mind after a couple guys have asked me/offered about selling my 91' with about 105K on her. Here's a list of the mods/maint.;

Exterior;
2 month OLD BRAND NEW OEM PAINT JOB PROFESSIONAL/DEALERSHIP!
Foose Speedster wheels 18x7.5 front & 19x9.5 rear
Slotted AND Cross drilled rotors WITH Painted RED calipers to match body
Custom spoiler (comptech with OEM led shaved into it)
Nico's Rear Spats
MH Sideskirts
MH front bumper
Carbon Fiber Nicely Fit louvered hood...and painted
Shaved key holes and antenna
tinted tail lights
2 different suspension set ups; air suspension/ can be EASILY removed and replaced w/ tein springs

Interior;
KENWOOD DVD/NAV 6.5" screen player
JDM NAV pod with Alpine screen
K40 stealth radar detection system mounted in front bumper and rear bumper
rear back up camera
take down police strobes (used the car for my job once in awhile) hehe:biggrin:
red/black brand new leather seats
fiberglass red center console
JDM CF shift boot w/ SOS rapid shift knob
2 10" jl woofers behind passenger and driver seat
2 rockford amps powering that custom mounted in the trunk (800 and 500)
2 audiobahn digital caps custom mounted in trunk as well
hid interior lighting trunk also
4 Infinity Kappa Perfects custom mounted in the interior w/ crossovers and tweeters

I'm sure there's more I can't think of it all thought off the top of my head

ENGINE; 100K service completed ALL new belts, water pump, coolant flush, oil change, tranny flush, valve job

CUSTOM ENGINE COVER
most engine pieces are candy red
high polish tb cover with candy red NSX lettering
cantrell high polish alternator
CANTRELL intake
no cats/test pipes (have cats if need)
ARK exhaust

Take a look at my link...tell me what you think is fair...IF I WERE TO SELL IT.

One guy offered $24k...I think it's too low, another guy offered $27.5K, once again I thought too low.

Am I wrong for thinking its worth at least or around $30K? Thanks for your opinions in advance.

I was thinking its not being made anymore, and half the custom work value its at least $31.5K in my opinion.

I think $31.5k is low. Ultimately it depends on what the mods are worth to the buyer. $24k is less than what a stock car would typically go for with 105k.

obviously the car is worth whatever you think it is,just depends on what someone else is willing to pay:wink: I'm not an apraisal expert,but from what I have read on this site the mods,if easily removed can be resold seperately for more $.If not then you could start asking for 50% of the mods cost added to the reasonable selling price for a stock car of your year,milage and condition.

Modifications generally limit your market. People might not like the modifications that have been made. Since fewer people may be interested in a car with the modifications, a person in a rush to sell the car will drop the asking price lower and lower. I think the best way is to return the car to as close to stock as possible, and sell the aftermarket parts separately. You will probably end up with more money, and a larger market for your near stock NSX.

The vast majority of your modifications are cosmetic or audio. I think you will be very hard pressed to recover 50% of the total modification cost. The repaint is also a turn-off to some buyers.

That said, I couldn't see letting it go for less than $28k.

The more unique a car is, the more difficult it is to assign a fair market value to it. There are many ways a car becomes unique, including mods as well as other aspects (i.e. salvage title, repainting, celebrity ownership, etc).

It is particularly difficult to estimate the effect of mods on the value of a car. Just to cite an example (without any implication on your own car), someone could take a used NSX worth $30K, and spend another $25K on a custom paint job with color-changing pearl paint. If he found a buyer who was looking all over for an NSX with that exact paint job, he might be willing to pay $45K for the car and feel like he got a great deal. If he couldn't find a buyer who was interested in the car when painted that way, he might have to settle for a price that's actually less than what the car would be worth without the paint job. The value of mods, like beauty, is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

As previously mentioned, most of the mods you list are aesthetic, and many others are in the stereo. IMHO those are not the kind of mods that add significantly to the value of your car (they may add value to some buyers, but they drastically reduce the number of potential buyers who would be willing to consider a car like yours). To the extent that you can get money out by removing mods and returning the car to stock, consider doing so. Beyond that, I would suggest writing the for-sale listing with more emphasis on the car's overall condition (maintenance up to date, paint condition, interior condition, etc), and putting those aspects at the very start of the listing, rather than the mods.

The other thing to consider is how much the car is worth to you, and how quickly you need to sell it. If you are not happy with what you are offered for it and you don't need to do so right away, you still have the options of keeping it and/or continuing to list it for sale for an extended time, until such time as a buyer makes you an offer you want to accept.

nsxtasy said:
The more unique a car is, the more difficult it is to assign a fair market value to it. There are many ways a car becomes unique, including mods as well as other aspects (i.e. salvage title, repainting, celebrity ownership, etc).

It is particularly difficult to estimate the effect of mods on the value of a car. Just to cite an example (without any implication on your own car), someone could take a used NSX worth $30K, and spend another $25K on a custom paint job with color-changing pearl paint. If he found a buyer who was looking all over for an NSX with that exact paint job, he might be willing to pay $45K for the car and feel like he got a great deal. If he couldn't find a buyer who was interested in the car when painted that way, he might have to settle for a price that's actually less than what the car would be worth without the paint job. The value of mods, like beauty, is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

As previously mentioned, most of the mods you list are aesthetic, and many others are in the stereo. IMHO those are not the kind of mods that add significantly to the value of your car (they may add value to some buyers, but they drastically reduce the number of potential buyers who would be willing to consider a car like yours). To the extent that you can get money out by removing mods and returning the car to stock, consider doing so. Beyond that, I would suggest writing the for-sale listing with more emphasis on the car's overall condition (maintenance up to date, paint condition, interior condition, etc), and putting those aspects at the very start of the listing, rather than the mods.

The other thing to consider is how much the car is worth to you, and how quickly you need to sell it. If you are not happy with what you are offered for it and you don't need to do so right away, you still have the options of keeping it and/or continuing to list it for sale for an extended time, until such time as a buyer makes you an offer you want to accept.

That was perfectly stated.

Why would you sell it? Its almost perfect now! I will take your airsuspension! :biggrin: just kidding, enjoy you great mods!!!

nsxtasy said:

I think Ken has hit he nail right on the head.

nsxlover said:
< NSXtasy's post > was perfectly stated.

I totally agree.

Back