Fa-22 fighters delivered to langley afb

I believe it's called "Super cruise" and only the F-22 has it. Although certain variants of the F-35 have short take off and vertical lift. Supposedly the F-35 is 4x better than any Russian manufacutured fighter and the F-22 several times greater than the F-35.

If you've got the dough, a private pilot can actually purchase a ex-Soviet Flanker for 5 million. I'd rather buy a F-86 though. :)

nope, the F-35 will be supersonic too. I just looked it up. It will be the first STOVL aircraft to do so.

People have been predicting the end of the dogfight since the end of the Korean War, I think. Even if technology allows kills beyond visual range, though, tactical situations and rules of engagement (positive visual identification, or not firing first) mean the dogfight is still possible.

In Vietnam, we had to put the guns back on the F-4 because the dogfight wasn't a thing of the past after all.

The F-22 and the Su-35 both have 2D thrust vectoring. The 35 is the current model in the Su-27 series- the 37 is a 3D vectoring demonstrator, but I don't think it's in service with anyone.

F-22 was in some wargames in Alaska a year or two ago, and I think it ended up with a 186 to 0 kill rate. I don't think there will be a better fighter in service with any country for the next twenty years.

Wow, that "black-out-button" stuff is something else. The air national guard guys overfly our offices after take-off and there were some F-22s here a few months ago, looked pretty impressive and all they did was take off:cool:

People have been predicting the end of the dogfight since the end of the Korean War, I think. Even if technology allows kills beyond visual range, though, tactical situations and rules of engagement (positive visual identification, or not firing first) mean the dogfight is still possible.

In Vietnam, we had to put the guns back on the F-4 because the dogfight wasn't a thing of the past after all.

The F-22 and the Su-35 both have 2D thrust vectoring. The 35 is the current model in the Su-27 series- the 37 is a 3D vectoring demonstrator, but I don't think it's in service with anyone.

F-22 was in some wargames in Alaska a year or two ago, and I think it ended up with a 186 to 0 kill rate. I don't think there will be a better fighter in service with any country for the next twenty years.

Why would the Russians elimate the 3d thrust vectoring on the SU35 when the I would've sworn the SU27 and 37 had it. I mean seeing how the SU's look like they spin on its axis and do insane manuevers seems like going from 3d to 2d is taking a step backwards.

I think dogfight in the air is something of the past so it does not matter who has the fastest speed.

For the reasons Hasdrubel mentioned, dogfighting most certainly will remain a major factor in future air-to-air engagements. The only question is (and some don't think it's a question at all) if those engagements will be manned or not.

Here's the story about the F-22 mentioned above: http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2007/01/raptors_144_bad_guys_0.asp

Last edited:
ive never seen an nsx with wings, damn thats sexy!

batairport.jpg

The Su-35 is the most current production model of the Su-27 family. The Su-37 is a modified technology demonstrator for that family, and did have the 3D vectoring. The Russians have not fielded the Su-37 as a combat aircraft.

3D thrust vectoring is great, but I think that low radar cross section is far more important now. Hard to have a 3D vectored exhaust that lets you do that.

Remember, 2D vectored engines can be differentially steered. One can point up, and the other down, to give you faster roll rate. 3D will let you control yaw as well, but with the g-loading these planes are capable of, you could probably turn faster by rolling into it and yanking back on the stick. I don't think they're giving up very much by not having 3D vectored engines.

Besides, the Russians make _very_ good missiles.

Is that why the FA22's decided to go with the 2d? For stealth reasons?

Probably. If you look at the exhaust for the F-117, the B-2, and the F-22, you can see that they are relatively flat. Cylindrical shapes will have a radar reflection from most angles, where flat shapes will only have a strong reflection at one angle.

They try to make the flat surfaces line up with each other, too. Look at the F-22 from the top, and you can see that the leading edge of the wing and the leading edge of the tail are at the same angle. I think the sides of the fuselage are at canted at the same angle as the vertical tails, but I'm not sure.

Also, the gains in maneuverability are good from no vectoring to 2D. From 2D to 3D, it's not as much, but it's probably better with a single engine plane. Here's a write-up on a 3D vectored F-16.

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/archives/1994/articles/jul_94/jul2a_94.html

They're the first military aircraft ever built that is equipped
with a 'black-out button'. What that means is this:
The best conditioned fighter pilots are capable of maintaining consciousness
up to in the vicinity of 15+ G. The Raptor is capable of making 22+ G
turns.. If someday an adversary builds a missile that is capable of catching
up to one of these airplanes and a Raptor pilot sees that a strike is
imminent, he hits the 'b.o.b.' and the airplane makes a virtual U-turn,
leaving the missile to pass right on by.

They know that in the process he will temporarily lose consciousness, so the
Raptor then automatically comes back to straight and level flight until he
wakes back up.

The German Stuka dive bombers of WWII actually had similar 'black out autopilot' functionality because of the G's they would produce after pulling out of the dive. It's interesting stuff for the 40's.

" Since the G-suit was not yet invented then, pilots could temporarily lose consciousness because of the high G force during the pull out of the fast near-vertical dive, and crash to the ground, but the autopilot prevented that from happening"
http://www.2worldwar2.com/stuka.htm

Wow, I had never heard of that about the Stuka! What an interesting fact.

Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup:

The German Stuka dive bombers of WWII actually had similar 'black out autopilot' functionality because of the G's they would produce after pulling out of the dive. It's interesting stuff for the 40's.

" Since the G-suit was not yet invented then, pilots could temporarily lose consciousness because of the high G force during the pull out of the fast near-vertical dive, and crash to the ground, but the autopilot prevented that from happening"
http://www.2worldwar2.com/stuka.htm

I hope they had poopy suits though.

Where is that fairy WingZ....

Are you looking at this bitch? if that isn't Silverstone I don't know what is. Look at the Raptor and then look at my Avatar...

Fail! Not even close.

Someone needs to tell Dave that the paint on aircraft is specifically designed to make them as boring and unnoticeable as possible, and that matching that color is not a good thing. :tongue:

Someone needs to tell Dave that the paint on aircraft is specifically designed to make them as boring and unnoticeable as possible, and that matching that color is not a good thing. :tongue:

When you wanna take your kids out for ice cream and an air show you go and see the Blue Angels...

When you need to have your ass saved, you send an F22.

One is show and one is go. I don't know why you imbeciles don't get that.

Dave was just starting to go through man-o-pause and the b*tchstone color was appealing to his new found flow of estrogen:wink:

New Top Secret Russkie:

new top secret russkie story said:
Russia unveils top secret new fighter
(AFP) – 8 hours ago

MOSCOW — Russia on Friday unveiled a new fighter aircraft touted as a rival of the US F-22 stealth jet and developed amid the highest secrecy as part of a plan to modernize the armed forces.

The fifth generation fighter, manufactured by the Sukhoi company and known as the PAK FA, made a maiden flight of just over 45 minutes at the firm's home base of Komsomolsk-on-Amur in the Far East region.

"The flight lasted 47 minutes during which all the aircraft's systems were tested. It was successful," Sukhoi spokeswoman Olga Kayukova told AFP. "This is the first time it has been unveiled."

Pictures broadcast on state television showed the fighter jet -- which has been kept closely under wraps for years -- flying at altitude and then landing on a snow-surrounded runway.

"The aircraft performed well in all stages of the flight programme. It is easy and comfortable to pilot," said Sergei Bogdan, the pilot for the flight, in comments published on the Sukhoi website.

The new jet has the capability of carrying out long flights above the speed of sound as well as simultaneously attacking different targets.

Russia is currently embarking on a major programme to re-equip its military, not least the air force which is still using largely Soviet-era equipment and suffers from frequent crashes.

The new fighter, which has been in development since the 1990s, is due to enter the armed forces in 2015, Russian news agencies said.

The first flight of the PAK FA (Prospective Aviation System of Frontline Aviation) is being seen in Russia as a major boost for the military after the project was hit by repeated delays over the last years.

"There is no doubt that the plane is needed," the ex-commander of the Russian air force, Anatoly Kornukov, told the Interfax news agency.

"Our Su-27 and MiG-29 planes are good but have aged. They are 20 or more years old and it's time to have something as a replacement," he said.

He said the new plane could easily stand comparison with the US F-22, also a fifth generation stealth fighter.

"It's going to be no worse than an F-22. I've been in an F-22 and I know."

Russia's campaign to modernize its military has been marred by repeated setbacks with new equipment, above all a string of failed tests of its new Bulava sea-based intercontinental nuclear-capable missile.

ALeqM5jKiRTwmRUBmFw5RCogLKtqFfaKHQ

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g1pM1xcmleffdDk4xv1LGakTO_Cw

Back