F body maint vs NSX

saxonsaxon

It is a well known fact that in the maint. department a well cared for NSX will not causae my wife to kill me to collect the $$$$ to pay for repairs. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about F body cars. I must admit, I love F cars but the cost of maint. one keeps me awake at night. I could probably scrape enough $$$ to get a TR or 348, but the maint. will probably force me to rob local establishments to get enough dough just for tune ups and new tires. My question is how much more would I have to put aside to keep an early TR or 348 than an NSX? I would drive it at most 2000 miles/year, mostly slowly. I know this question should be directed to ferrari owners, but I am sure I am not the only one who has been thinking the same ( Ferrari v. NSX).

I would consider the TR, if you are looking to make a statement, the F348 is much worse or at best equal the NSX in many respects (price, look, performance, exclusitivity, sound and quality,) yet it will cost more to maintain.

I have had that thought several times but about a 355. I asked three owners to tell me the average per year they paid for maintenace (and repair if needed).

I came up with 1800-2500 $/year for 4000miles/year average excluding tires and fuel.

FYI I have an average of 800$/year with the NSX (over 4 years) in the maintenace & repair department, but I do 7k-8k miles per year and not 4k.

So in reality the 355 was not that expensive to maintain as many fear... the TestaRossa instead is said to be twice as much as the 355. That begins to be expensive!!! :eek:

T Bell said:
Don't call a Ferrari a "F-body"

A F-body is a Trans Am, Camaro, Firebird etc

Im sure he meant to say F - Car but in any case this has been discussed b4 many times and its the reason why many of us bought the nsx. Im not sure if its accurate to make this claim but its probably the most reliable exotic on the planet.

f car

I am sorry for the confusion. Naturally, I was referring to the Ferrari not Camaro or Trans Am. Thanks for the info. Looks like F- TR would run around 5000 for a year provided nothing major would break down. I am aware that this (NSX v. F car) has appeared on NSXprime before and I have gone over some of those threads. Just wanted to see if there is some extra, new information available. Thanks for the new input.

I was informed by a Modena owner that oil changes alone (oil, filter and labor) is $600.00 plus. But if you can afford that car than that maintenance is chump change.

Tan

Tantheman said:
I was informed by a Modena owner that oil changes alone (oil, filter and labor) is $600.00 plus. But if you can afford that car than that maintenance is chump change.

Tan

There goes my plan of driving that car daily in the future when i can afford to buy it in 3-5 years (80,000-90,000 bucks.) Of course, I will keep the NSX and MR2 forever, but eventually I will want a 360 as it is one of my favorite car. As such, the MR2 will become the dedicated track car with some huge mods, the NSX will become the daily driver, (hell, I am driving it a lot as of right now,) and the 360 (hopefully,) will be the other toy, but I will have to learn how to change the oil, air-filter, spark plugs and other maintenances on that car first.

T Bell said:
Don't call a Ferrari a "F-body"

A F-body is a Trans Am, Camaro, Firebird etc

I'm sure everyone knew what he was talking about. Nobody on this forum would ever think someone would consider trading an NSX for a Trans Am ;)

LrdVader said:
I'm sure everyone knew what he was talking about. Nobody on this forum would ever think someone would consider trading an NSX for a Trans Am ;)

Yes, but with the prior skirmishes between this board and F-body.com, you can understand the need to clarify. When I saw the subject I figured it was 50-50 he was talking F-body or Ferrari.

LrdVader said:

I must be the only one who assumed he was talking about GM products. I wondered, "what the heck is the point?" :confused: :D

Be careful with a TR, they are unfortunately recognized to have pulley aligments problems leading to very frequent ( read: $$$ ) engine adjustments.

I read in a car magazine that making 15 K miles with a TR is a great achievement! :eek:

IMO you are downgrading if you choose a TR over an NSX.

Heavier car with less braking endurance, less balanced, less nimble, ...

Sure this Ferrari will reward you a VERY LOUD V12 sound, but overall you will enjoy it less IMO.

Of course YOU could think and feel all the opposite.

Have you tried one ?

A 348, hum... even worse IMO than the TR...

Great looking car though, but that's all... AAAIMO*

*Again And Again ...:D

If you absolutely want a Ferrari, go for a 355 or 360...

as for maintenance, don't lose your money and find a good mechanic that could make it, or do it yourself.

Geez, 600$ oil change...

gheba_nsx said:
Fortunately the 600$ oil change is an urban legend!

Hmm.. well considering i just talked to a guy with a 360 the other day that had it done... and it cost him around $600 bucks.. I dont think it is an urban legend.

Considering I know a lot of Ferrrari owner (some of them very close friends that have no interest in lying...) and they pay 150$-200$ (and they use a lot more oil than we do) it is a urban legend, at least in Europe...

$ 600 question

I realize that 348 and TR are not in the same department when it comes to repairs and maint. as NSXs or Porches. Ferrari is a much more expensive car to possess with a lot of headaches that come with $ 600 oil changes and other little "things" that any car needs in order to run properly. The question is how much more? I am willing to spend $5000 a year, but I am a little bit afraid of the ocasional "problem" that could easily break my $5 grand per annum budget for the car. Like most guys in their mid 30s I have a wife and a morgage that regularly screem "feed me feed me".
As for NSX being a better car that one would enjoy more. It is probably true, however, it is not a Ferrari. Since I am not buying this vehicle for track or other events that would require driving fast or pushing the car to its limits, I was hoping that a Ferrari would provide me with a nice attention getter/status symbol and a V12 sound to soothe my nerves. I am fully aware that those types of cars are built to be driven but honestly I just want it to show off. Call me shallow but I am simply being honest. Once in my possession this car (348 or TR) will spend 6 days out of the week in my garage and be used at most 6 months out of the year. Consequently, dare I say it, I do not need a super reliable car. It is the wow factor that attracted me to the exotics not their speed limit (hey in NYC going over 60 is considered fast).
Naturally, I have also been considering NSX since it is a looker and joy to drive and if the maint. situation for Ferrari proves too much, a nice NSX ( probably an automatic) will end up in my garage.

saxonsaxon,

Since you into the look over the performance, you may want to consider getting a ferrari replica. By getting a replica you could save a lot of money.

No no please, no replica! If showoff is important to you, someone discovering it is a replica will destroy your ego! :)

Why not a 328? I find it better than the 348 and it is far more reliable. And a VERY classic Ferrari!

buying a F-car is one of my dreams. However, the notion of paying more for the name, prestige, and poor build quality is one of my nightmares.

The best estimates I have heard/read are:
1. 348/355/360: $1 per mile of driving(this includes scheduled services, unscheduled service, gas, tires, battery---- i.e. Everything).
2. TR or 512: more, mainly due to the 15,000 miles, and 30,000 service costs. Depending on what you are getting done(i.e. some F- owners recommend a Water pump, alternator replacement every time the engine is taken out) it will cost $10- 15k.

hope this helps, and good luck on your search.

btw, when i first read the tread, I thought you were going to say that from a maintenance standpoint- your brother's transam is more expensive than your NSX:D

My bro's trans Am

Long long time ago, my brother did own a V8 Camaro (which is a close cousin of Trans Am) but that is as close as I have ever gotten to a true F - body (not a Ferrari body) in my life.
As for why a 348 or TR. I just love the look of both of them , and always wanted to have a shiny red TR or a 348. As for getting a fake, that is not my style and while it may look the same and other might not notice it, I will know and that is enough to sway me away from getting a Ferrari body on Pontiac Fiero chasis.
Of course I have not discounted buying a nice NSX. Unfortunately, my wife somehow has no problem spending 75K on a TR but for the Acura our budget has only 40K available and it will be AT.:mad: :mad: :mad:

You should read Z18's review of all cars that he has driven in the "General Forum." After that, you can do as you see fit.

The cost on MY355 Ferrari per 15k miles is 7200

Includes
-tires
-brakes (if needed)
-motor out major services(which I do EVERY THING,every hose,t-belts bearings and everything else that is remotly accessable)
-as well as changing "every" fluid in the car.
Well worth EVERY mile to me.

MYNSX
I never was able to track costs because I changed EVERY THING on the car before nessesary.I wouldn't be surprised if the cost is 2k/year.

I bought both cars simply because I LOVE THEM BOTH.

Which one do I like more??
(WHICH ONE OF YOUR CHILDREN WOULD YOU SAY YOU LIKE MORE??)
For me it's a apple /orange comparison.

MYNSX/MY355

MYNSX said:
The cost on MY355 Ferrari per 15k miles is 7200

Includes
-tires
-brakes (if needed)
-motor out major services(which I do EVERY THING,every hose,t-belts bearings and everything else that is remotly accessable)
-as well as changing "every" fluid in the car.
Well worth EVERY mile to me.

Thanks Bill, this confirm the numbers I got from several other 355 owners and the 1800-2500 $/year for 4000miles/year average excluding tires and fuel seems confirmed.

Everytime I am more and more tempted on goin to the 355... but I prefer NSXPRIME a lot more than FERRARICHAT! :D

How could I live without it!

PS: Bill any comment on the 600$ oil change??? Is it really like that in the US?

gheba_nsx said:
Thanks Bill, this confirm the numbers I got from several other 355 owners and the 1800-2500 $/year for 4000miles/year average excluding tires and fuel seems confirmed.

Everytime I am more and more tempted on goin to the 355... but I prefer NSXPRIME a lot more than FERRARICHAT! :D

How could I live without it!

PS: Bill any comment on the 600$ oil change??? Is it really like that in the US?

600.00??? (why not just round it off to a grand?)

If you do the oil change yourself (w/ synthetic) it will cost $60.00
that is with filter from Ferrari.There is 10 quarts in its dry sump motor.PS.., you do NOT NEED synthetic so cost would drop dramatically if using standard oil.

My mechanic charged me 60.00 for the labor the other day on the oil change when I supplied the oil and filter.

Ferrari factory (who's the most expensive ) charges 225.00
parts and labor.

Yes its more work than any car Ive ever seen "but" still 1 hour will do it.

The factory :D

Back