Eye Candy for old farts

Back when drifting was a by-product of racing and not the purpose, and racers were men, not boys just out of puberty, or Cosmo models etc. this is what road racing looked like.

Might wanna tell Santa about this one. :wink:

That looks awesome! Old Can-Am was the sh%t and the drivers legendary. Definitely picking it up. Thanks for the post!

Thanks so much for this!
I watched the trailer and shouted out the first names as the last names flashed across the screen... when I was in high school, my dad used to take me to the Can-Am races at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis. Not only was this wide open innovation, but it was also an era where access into the pit areas was a given. These guys were huge! Back then, I read everything I could find about Can-Am. Still do.
I often dream about driving from Colorado to Elkhart Lake to get my NSX on the track there... it would be even better if that were an NSXPO event in the near future.
Thanks.
--bruce

Seeing the Can-Am cars run at Road America last year at the vintage race weekend was awesome. The sound of those engines will haunt you for a long time afterwards.

I often dream about driving from Colorado to Elkhart Lake to get my NSX on the track there... it would be even better if that were an NSXPO event in the near future.
Thanks.
--bruce

Already done- Road America was 2001- My first NSXPO. :smile:

I would love to go back, and may this summer for the vintage events.

P

go speed racer go:biggrin:

I remember trips to "Riverside" & Laguna Seca. I'd cheer for Jim Hall , Hap Sharp and curse anyone who dared climb into a Maclaren.:mad:

Of course all of my "slot-cars" were "Chaparrals" :tongue:

Carrol Shelby's shop was a daily stop on our way home from school. Test blast through the neighborhood were common. No he didn't give us rides, but he knew we would never stop asking. :rolleyes:
Wouldn't mind having one of those $6000 Cobras right now....

A definite a "must have" on my holiday list!

Long live "The Flipper" and "Vacuum" !!:cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaparral_Cars

Last edited:
I watched this bad boy four times last night. Maybe the wife will get the hint. ;)

I was too young to be a fan of this series (read: not born yet) but I love reading about it now. Mark Donohue and Gurney are heros of mine. IMHO, this is/was the zenith of professional motorsports.

Back