extended warrantee

Hello Prime: This is my first new post. What a wonderful community. I am a new owner of a 2003 Yellow/Yellow NSX with about 10,700 miles on it. My 13 year wait is over and it has far surpassed my high expectations. I use to have a 1983 Supra and a 1986 928S and loved those cars but only the NSX really moved me when I first saw it in 1990. well kids are older and I have retired my SUV and drive a Acura RL but the NSX is and was the car I always wanted. just took my son out for a drive after dropping off my little girl off with her friends (she told me her friends like the car!); we had such a good time. can't wait to teach him to drive a stick (on another car first), and have him drive it. my older daughter and wife not real happy with the yellow color but I told them they don't have to drive it or be seen with it. I'll send pictures once I figure out how to.
My question is whether to get the extended warrantee when the factory 4 yr. one runs out. I got a postcard and I called to see about the extended bumper to bumper warrantee and was offered 6 years 50K, I think up to 75 K, or 100k and told it was transferable. I am not planning to ever sell this dream and realistically not drive much more than 5 K a year (since I never plan for it to ever see rain). who knows, I may end up driving more. any ideas if this is good idea and if there is a good price for this. thanks!

I'd like to find out about this too.

can't wait to teach him to drive a stick (on another car first), and have him drive it.

You are so nice. My dad wouldn't even think about getting me one. He said make your own money and buy it yourself. I guess he just wants me to work hard :tongue:

Hello Prime: This is my first new post. What a wonderful community. I am a new owner of a 2003 Yellow/Yellow NSX with about 10,700 miles on it. My 13 year wait is over and it has far surpassed my high expectations. I use to have a 1983 Supra and a 1986 928S and loved those cars but only the NSX really moved me when I first saw it in 1990. well kids are older and I have retired my SUV and drive a Acura RL but the NSX is and was the car I always wanted. just took my son out for a drive after dropping off my little girl off with her friends (she told me her friends like the car!); we had such a good time. can't wait to teach him to drive a stick (on another car first), and have him drive it. my older daughter and wife not real happy with the yellow color but I told them they don't have to drive it or be seen with it. I'll send pictures once I figure out how to.
My question is whether to get the extended warrantee when the factory 4 yr. one runs out. I got a postcard and I called to see about the extended bumper to bumper warrantee and was offered 6 years 50K, I think up to 75 K, or 100k and told it was transferable. I am not planning to ever sell this dream and realistically not drive much more than 5 K a year (since I never plan for it to ever see rain). who knows, I may end up driving more. any ideas if this is good idea and if there is a good price for this. thanks!
I've got almost 40,000 miles on mine, had it since new (5 years in Feb), only maintenance has been by the book, no majors, it's a Honda. If you want to look at getting the extended, get in touch with "The Kid", he might be able to get you a better price. I don't think you need it, but if you think it's worth it to you, get it!

The warrantee is calculated from the original date of purchase. In you case, it started some times in 2003. So the additional coverage is only good for about two more years.

The price of the warrantee should not be more than $1700 USD. that's how much I paid for the warrantee when I purchased my 2003 in 2005.

Honda care does not cover bumper to bumper, as I have found out two months ago when my door handle broke. They did not want to cover me because it is a wear and tear item. Only power train parts are covered, and some other stuff such as A/C, stereo (Basically any thing that is run on electricity). Even the weather seals are not covered.

I called Honda's customer relations to have them cover the door handle, they did it out of good well since my car had low miles and was only two months out of original warrantee.

At this point, it may not worth the money since most of the none-power train repairs are well under $1700, the price I paid. The nice thing is, they do have free towing and rental car when the car does need repair under the coverage.

At this point, it may not worth the money since most of the none-power train repairs are well under $1700, the price I paid. The nice thing is, they do have free towing and rental car when the car does need repair under the coverage.

Tripple AAA does this for me.. for $1600 less :wink: But no rental coverage alas :redface: That should only cost a couple of hundred bucks though when needed :biggrin:

Just rubbing it in... :tongue: Please don't take offense. Thanks.

I'd like to find out about this too.

You are so nice. My dad wouldn't even think about getting me one. He said make your own money and buy it yourself. I guess he just wants me to work hard :tongue:

Thanks for your kind words. I'm not getting my son one! I certainly agree with your dad; my goal is "carrot", show them the good stuff, let them see how hard I work, and make them understand what they have to do to get it. It's not what you say, it's what you do.

Driving has to be like golf. Some are naturals but would be nice to teach him initially so not to have to get rid of old habits. I just want to teach him to drive properly early, not like his old man who is still trying to learn to drive right and not burn a clutch out at 15K and be embarrassed. he asks really good questions like when you want to punch it, what do you downshift to when at 30, 40, 50, 60 mph, etc. any of you recommend some things to read about driving. I've been totally feel and have been lucky with my supra and P 928 in the past, but haven't driven a clutch until 2 months ago. in other words... any suggestions for my son and I to become a better driver other than a formal course (which will be fun too?).

Is Prime fun or what?:biggrin: :biggrin:

I get the message. probably don't need one. but check with the Kid

It's a honda, I'm a huge fan of Honda, Acura too. I have never got extended warrantees for anything in the past (except medical equipment) and maybe my buying habits are to buy stuff that don't need it. The NSX attracted me because of other than "LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT," and reliability and so called low maintenance costs. In retrospect, I was oh so lucky with my Porsche, and last year decided to buy an Acura RL instead of the Audi A8L because I knew I had to keep the extended warrantees going forever anytime you have a euro car. I keep stuff forever so I would eventually run out of warrantee.

I need to start another thread about how to maintain my second son. I have a trusted mechanic, the best and he tells me he can do it. when he handled my P-928, he was great and when he couldn't do something, I went to the Porsche Club. do they (P's) have a "Prime Community" like ours?:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Back