Exhaust questions

Those of you with the TAITEC GT Lightweight, is there a drone at highway speeds? Im trying to decide between the ARK DT-S and the Taitec and Ive read a few times now that there is drone. I don't want that.

Let me know what you think! Thanks.

The taitec GTLW does drone at around 3500 rpm, so the answer is yes. It sounds like a boom in volume, then goes away at around 3800 rpm. I have heard replacing the exhaust tips with resonated exhaust tips helps reduce the effect, but that would also increase the weight of the total assembly.

Does ARK still make the DTS?

I had my ARK DTS it had some drone but only for a short time around 3K in 3rd gear... but if u have headers there is no drone... :)

The drone usually does not bother people. The only time it bothered me was when I had a headache and I had a 6 hr drive home in the car. That was the only time the droning bothered me. Also it is only in the 2-3k range, so if you are cruising in that range all the time then it might bug you a bit. Otherwise its a bad ass exhaust.....or you get the SOS cantrell version. That one I think has no droning, but I haven't heard it on any car or heard anyone running that exhaust.

From what i have seen, the issues with droning are mostly with the DC Sports type headers. You may want to look into that.

From what i have seen, the issues with droning are mostly with the DC Sports type headers. You may want to look into that.

when i put my topspeed headers on which are dc sports clones, there was no drone at all anywhere in the RPM range... the over all volume was louder at WOT tho.

With the OEM manifold, there was drone... it never bothered me.

my Ark DTS was so quiet ... just OK nothing special, better sounding than stock but just OK... after test pipes i am happy like noting else!

Oscar

I have the Taitec GTLW and it doesn't drown at all. I have the downforce AIS with unifilter. No other "engine" mods. It is the best sounding exhaust and the best money I ever spent. It howls and sounds exotic. Very smooth and not "throaty" much at all, which is what I like. Go with it, you won't be disappointed.

You might also consider the RM Racing (aka B&B) muffler system.
We have no droning issues (pleasently quiet at low-load & highway speeds) running the late stock headers and with stock cats in place.
They are hard to find, but a quad-tipped version (like ours) recently came up in the Prime parts for sale section :cool:

Brian
(no affiliation, just a thumbs up for a great exhaust system)

I would say if I'm not accelerating or decelerating then the GTLW has a tendency to drone a little at lower rpms, and that's with comptech headers but its not bad. The exhaust note is very nice and makes up for it.

But they make silencers which I haven't tested yet so that would solve the long drive drone issues.

I wish someone had a clip of how it sounds with the silencers installed, before I go drilling holes in the tips.

I know there are some Prime members with silencers installed so how bout it?A sound clip please?

I'm in the same boat here. Looking to buy both exhaust and header at same time in the next 2 weeks, but trying to decide on the best combo for my taste and budget. Leaning on both Taitec headers and the GTLW setup. Further recommendations anyone?

guys the only drone I hear is the drone of gtlw threads on prime:tongue: Sound and resonance are so subjective.One man's drone is another man's moan:wink: Some guys wish thier car was louder with test pipes,and others think stock is great.My advice get thee to a nsx meet where you have the chance to hear the many combos in realtime.Audio/vid clips on prime give you a taste ,but I have seen some remorse threads on prime even from informed buyers.

Yes, the GTLW will drone, but I didn't find it that bad when I drove my car from Dallas, TX to Vancouver, BC. The drone is in a pretty narrow RPM range, so just drive a bit faster or slower, or downshift to a lower gear. I have stock headers for now, but I will hopefully have some Comptech headers installed by the end of next week.

You might also consider the RM Racing (aka B&B) muffler system.
We have no droning issues (pleasently quiet at low-load & highway speeds) running the late stock headers and with stock cats in place.
They are hard to find, but a quad-tipped version (like ours) recently came up in the Prime parts for sale section :cool:

Brian
(no affiliation, just a thumbs up for a great exhaust system)

That's interesting. I have the same exhaust (DTM Quad tips) and I have a boomy resonance between 2200 and 3000 rpm. I wonder if it is my OEM 91 manifolds? Did you have the exhaust before you installed the headers?

That's interesting. I have the same exhaust (DTM Quad tips) and I have a boomy resonance between 2200 and 3000 rpm. I wonder if it is my OEM 91 manifolds? Did you have the exhaust before you installed the headers?
Cody installed the '02 tubular exhaust manifolds and at the same time plumbed up the stock cats and RM Racing muffler, so it all happened at once.
If we are hard into the throttle, there is some resonance in the cabin.......but once you let up (cruise mode) it's back to a conversation-friendly tone.
The best of both worlds, really :wink:

Brian

Back