EVO May 2006 reports on NSX replacement

image22la.jpg

I know the info about the NSX replacement being AMV8 rival has been posted before, but I have yet seen anyone mention any reports that are this new. It does mention two chassis configurations are being tested, front-engine and mid-engine, so all is not lost yet.

I have read similar reports in the Dutch press as well.

Personally, I would consider it a loss if the next-gen NSX would be something like an Aston Martin rival. I think that going that way, Honda would more or less follow the same path that Lexus is going with their proposed 500HP sportscar. In my eyes, one of the NSX strongpoints has always been its exotic look. Going for a four-wheel drive front-engine mounted car would loose some of that magic.

I'd still wish Honda would have followed the Porsche 911-path, constantly revising and upgrading a basically very good design :(
I think if Honda would have budgeted some money for keeping the NSX up-to-date in the power and looks department we would still have an eye-catcher NSX with performance to match.
If I see what a company like Science of Speed has managed to do with its 3.3 or 3.8 liter upgrades I don't see why Honda could not have pursued a similar path and even come up with an even better car.

A lot of drivers here on Prime have spent prime-dollars to increase the performance of their car and it seems that a lot of them have succeeded in achieving thus that. Generally speaking, it seems that with a 15K US$ budget, the NSX will still compare well with cars like the Ferrari F360, the latest model Porsche 911, BMW M3 etc.
Honda could have followed a similar path I think with relatively little in the way of R&D.

If they have two prototypes, I can't see them throwing one away, especially if they are very different.

Maybe we'll get two cars. I'd love to see an Aston-like car! Just as long as there is a mid engined model available slotted above it.

NUK3M said:
im wondering what the possiblility is of Honda making an Aston competitor under the Acura badge and a completly (NSX2) under Honda.

That depends. Honda is startig Acura dealership net work in Japan in 2009. That is the time when they're going to launch the NSX replacement. So I assumed that any high end cars will be badge under Acura even in JDM market. They're also going to start Acura brand name is Asia, such as China and eventually to other Asian countries. I'm sure Europe is on their mind too.

As for the prototype. I have a feeling that they will produce both car. As high performance GT and a super car with mid engine. Covering both markets.

Vancehu said:
That depends. Honda is startig Acura dealership net work in Japan in 2009. That is the time when they're going to launch the NSX replacement. So I assumed that any high end cars will be badge under Acura even in JDM market. They're also going to start Acura brand name is Asia, such as China and eventually to other Asian countries. I'm sure Europe is on their mind too.

As for the prototype. I have a feeling that they will produce both car. As high performance GT and a super car with mid engine. Covering both markets.

Maybe in 2009, the NSX will be badged as an Acura in Japan and it will be badged as a Honda in the U.S.?

If a 4 wheel drive, front engine configuration is adopted, Honda would have thrown in the towel and Honda CEO's statements made several months ago would come to nought. Clearly a GT of this sort cannot replace the NSX and is in fact a completely different car and seeks a completely different type of customer. The bean counters at Honda, if this is true, have indeed won.

A GT in the place of a real sports car......from Honda! It would be a shame but it makes my NSX so much more special.

I have read that there is to be a lower priced car (50K neighborhood) as well that Honda is to produce after the demise of the S2k and the RSX and it is to compete with but be priced significantly higher than the Nissan 350z and the upcoming Toyota Supra.

I fear, as with their recently introduced and very poorly selling RL, that Honda is making a few more mistakes.

There is no reason they can't have two cars.

1) front engine V10, SH-AWD, competes with M6 at say $75K.

2) Mid engine V10, competes with F430. $95K

The more they share the parts, the lower our price will be.

Is this news? Still no verification...

originally posted 8/16/05

If the new car ends up being front engine SH AWD ya'll can call me "Swami"...

H-carWizKid said:
I wonder...

If they are thinking about going AWD- I wonder if they are thinking about a front mounted mid-engine layout, ala S2K

Everyone keeps thinking the direction of a mid-mounted engine behind the seats, but has Honda made an indication that the new car would definetly be in that format?

Of course the motor would be behind the seats... Who could imagine an NSX with an engine up front...

Or wait, do we know if it will be called "NSX"?

Or is it in fact a totally clean sheet car, that will likely have a new moniker?

If it is a clean sheet car, might they be considering several different powertrain orientations?

As per Honda norms, could all this information just be more speculation crowding the media waves?

Hmmm... I guess we will all just have to wait and see, but my money is on a front mount mid-engine car w/ SH-AWD, and dripping with techno-glitz. Look for it to be equipped standard with Navi, a Blue-Tooth enabled DVD stereo w/ XM radio, and ONStar. Something that fits the image of an executive fighter jet.

I don't see another "New Sportscar eXperiment" in the works. Honda has done the "pure sports car" with the S2K, and previous gen NSX.

What barriers would they be breaking?

I see something fast, and technologically cutting edge built to contend with the new Infinity GTR that is waiting in the wings.

for all the haters...

I have no evidence- I have no media references, or trans-pacific flight conversations w/ key Honda executives to cite for my theory (this is in fact only a theory) but based on the moves I have seen in the Acura brand as of late- this is my best guess as to how many jellybeans are in the jar.

After all, we all know With Honda speculation is King- we won't know the truth until they give it to us.

Everything until then is just a guess- Don't believe me? Research this forum a little longer.

We all have a wish list- lets see what we get.

Philip

NetViper said:

Honda listen to this guy please...

NetViper said:

Wishful thinking my friend.
Honda is tooooooooo conservative a company and the NSX has burned them badly enough that they cannot do this. Also, a Mid Engine V10 for $95k would not be possible.

NetViper said:

Sounds good!

but the ME V10 would probably be atleast $120,000 if it competes with a $200,000 Ferrari

At this point (in 2006), Honda has to be feeling some pressure (embarassment) to introduce a V-8 since they are the only remaining mainstream manufacturer in the world whose largest engine is only a V-6. Even Hyundai has a V-8! Anyway, maybe they will use a new NSX as the vehicle to introduce a new engine.

ericwgnsx said:
At this point (in 2006), Honda has to be feeling some pressure (embarassment) to introduce a V-8 since they are the only remaining mainstream manufacturer in the world whose largest engine is only a V-6. Even Hyundai has a V-8!

That's assumption.

What makes you think that a V-6 is so embarrassing?

Americans seem to be the only culture in the world that is so hung up on the V-8. Why not 10 or 12?

Porsche has done pretty well with 6

I think that Honda has crafted some of the most brilliant 6 cylinders in the world, if you disagree then perhaps you have grown too accustomed to the wonderful sound of an NSX engine sweeping past 6000 rpm.

Or maybe you haven't heard it at all...

If Honda felt they needed to prove that they could build bullet proof V-8's one need look no further than Indy.

So lets finally just lay the V-8 angst to bed can we?

liftcontrol said:
Wishful thinking my friend.
Honda is tooooooooo conservative a company and the NSX has burned them badly enough that they cannot do this. Also, a Mid Engine V10 for $95k would not be possible.

I don't think the NSX was the "bath" that some folks seem to think Honda took. It was an Icon car for the manufacturer, and I can guarantee (as someone who once sold Hondas) it sold more than one Civic, or Integra to buyers who couldn't afford an NSX, but admired the technology.

That is the way corporate looks at it- Marquee value- if you don't believe me, ask yourself why VW AG built the Veyron when they knew they would take a loss on the limited production run.

Because there is something to be said for an autogroup that can build the fastest car in the world.

For Honda, it was proving that they could build an exotic car that is as reliable as an Accord, but could hang with the likes of the German P-cars, and the Italian prancing ponies. They did it, and there is something to be said for that.

What ground will the next car break? As I posted above, I think Honda is focusing on the car/driver interface, and I think their next performance halo will be a GT car as opposed to pure sportscar.

Again, just my opinion, based on nothing more than observation- but the rumor mill seems to be verifying what I have thought all along.

It isn't that I don't believe Honda could build another mid-engine exotic, I just don't think they will.

Now we wait and see.

Philip

Last edited:
If you read what I wrote, I never said I thought a V6 was embarrassing. The way most customers of high-end cars think is 'I am paying $100,000 (NSX) or $50,000 (RL) and I can only get a V6? My friends Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, etc. all come with V8's.' Honda must understand that this is the mentality of potential buyers, like it or not. And, consequently, there has to pressure to produce a luxury car with V8 power.
And to be honest, most luxury car buyers don't give a whit about Indy V8's, or racing and the like.

In addition, I don't think the Porsche comparison is an equal one. Porsche built their reputation on the flat-6, and for them to use anything else would be sacrilidge. Most Porsche enthusiasts don't consider the V8 928 a real Porsche, and the 924's aren't much better. There was even an uproar when the flat-6 was changed to (gasp!) water-cooling.

I am, however, in complete agreement that Honda has built some of the greatest engines to date.
I love my 8,000 rpm GS-R and NSX engines.

grrr...

front-engine 450bhp SH-AWD GT

If that's the only new thing coming out for '08/'09, that blows majorly. It'll be a 2-dr version of the RL, principally (read: Accord sedan & Accord coupe); only differing in sheet-metal/fascia. As far as any comparison to Aston Martin's V8_Vantage, haha... Honda/Acura can never make anything as elegant/exquisite/inviting as an Aston. I often force myself to 'like' a given Honda/Acura model for loyalty sake (shaking my head). Bummer, man.

It's such an irony that when the global economy picked up and there was alot of newly acquired wealth, luxury-goods & high-end real-estate were being purchased, and so on Honda/Acura banked on low-volume yet quality sedans. Look at the ultra luxury-car & exotic/high-end sportscar markets in past few years: Maybach, dozen AMG models above $100k, Mercedes-Mclaren SLR, Ferrari Enzo, Bentley Continental_GT & Flying_Spur, Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche Cayenne_Turbo, Cayman & Carrera_GT, Volkswagen Phaeton, Audi RS4/RS6/S8, BMW Z8, V10: M5 & M6, Pagani Zonda, Koenigsegg CCR/CCX, Ford GT, Aston Martin V8_Vantage, DB9 & Vanquish_S, Lotus Elise/Exige, Maserati Coupe, Quattroporte & MC12, Noble, Saleen_S7... and there was quite a demand for pretty much all of them. Talk about missing the moment (Honda).

I'm also hopeful that there will be a ME-R/ V10/ carbon-composite/ wing-doors/ exotic supercar for $100k'ish... :smile: If positioned right and marketed properly, a GT & exotic can work for Honda/Acura. But not when gasoline runs out, lol!?!

You guys think to much :tongue:

I'm sure Honda knows what they are doing.

Rumours are rumours, my head hurts from reading all kind of thoughts around the next NSX.

But one thing is for sure:

I would buy a Honda over a Ferrari or Porsche, but I wouldn't buy a Honda over a Aston Martin. Aston Martin is not performance, it's pure class.

But then again, Honda proved that they were capable of making a Ferrari beater, and if they really, really want to, I'm sure they could make a Aston Martin beater.

:)

If they can make an Aston beater - I'll be truly impressed.

Wouldnt this be more expensive to R&D over a regular ME sportscar?? If you're gonna beat Aston Martin, they will have to completely rethink the way they do EVERYTHING. Exterior styling, sheetmetal, interior pieces/parts, fabrics/leathers/metals, to make up the design which would have to be very sexy to compete.

If they make a ME sportscar, they can put the R&D in the performance and honestly throw together an Acura interior which is fine enough for a sportscar. Plus they've done this before, and so have other manufacturers. They know ME balance.

Just seems cheaper to rethink 50% of a car instead of 100%.

Beating Aston Martin would be no problem for Honda engineers. The AM V8 Vantage does the 1/4 in 13.1sec., top speed of 175, .96 skidpad, and slalom speed of 68.6mph according to Road & Track. These numbers are already attainable by a 15-year-old NSX with a few mods. Plus, Honda products are the most reliable in the world. As for the DB9 ($170,000)- it is over a foot longer than the V8 Vantage and weighs 3800lbs and the top-of-the-line Vanquish S ($250,000) weighs over 4100lbs.... not exactly light and nimble.

Last edited:
image22la.jpg

According to what sources? Beavis and Butthead? This is just crap to fill space and sell magazines. The magazines know a new car is coming, they know the public is talking about it, they know anything they print about it will increase sales, they can name anonymous sources until the coming of the Age of Aquarius and trust me they will.

The new car is 3 years away. Anything you see in print without an actual photo of the car is pure unadulterated speculation.

ericwgnsx said:
Beating Aston Martin would be no problem for Honda engineers. The AM V8 Vantage does the 1/4 in 13.1sec., top speed of 175, .96 skidpad, and slalom speed of 68.6mph according to Road & Track. These numbers are already attainable by a 15-year-old NSX with a few mods. Plus, Honda products are the most reliable in the world. As for the DB9 ($170,000)- it is over a foot longer than the V8 Vantage and weighs 3800lbs and the top-of-the-line Vanquish S ($250,000) weighs over 4100lbs.... not exactly light and nimble.

Those numbers mean next to nothing to an Aston Martin owner. The car is a beautiful piece of european engineering. It has intangibles that numbers don't measure. Think of it this way as far as refinement.

corvette < NSX as to NSX < AstonMartin.

one car may be faster in certain trim, but the other just has "it", whatever "it" is

Honda can outclass Chevy all day over the vette, I just think it'll be a difficult, not impossible, but difficult undertaking to match the AM-V8.

|Adeel said:
You guys think to much :tongue:
I'm sure Honda knows what they are doing.

bahahaha, I think Honda has lost their focus and is hopelessly swinging in the dark trying stay afloat especially with their Acura branch. I used to be the biggest fan of honda until their current line up. Now, I can't help but shake my head at honda.

IMO, If honda knew what they were doing:
1. They would of introduced a V-8 by now
2. They would of refreshed the NSX more than 2 times over a 15 year period.
3. They would of "really" increased the NSX's power output insttead of adding .2 liters and 20 hp
4. The new RL's would have been designed a lot more elegantly along with a v-8
5. The TL would have been atleast AWD or RWD

NsSeX said:
bahahaha, I think Honda has lost their focus and is hopelessly swinging in the dark trying stay afloat especially with their Acura branch. I used to be the biggest fan of honda until their current line up. Now, I can't help but shake my head at honda.

IMO, If honda knew what they were doing:
1. They would of introduced a V-8 by now
2. They would of refreshed the NSX more than 2 times over a 15 year period.
3. They would of "really" increased the NSX's power output insttead of adding .2 liters and 20 hp
4. The new RL's would have been designed a lot more elegantly along with a v-8
5. The TL would have been atleast AWD or RWD

Just curious, what what would you ad to the RL to make it more elegantly?

MoreRPMs said:
How about not building it off the Accord platform, for starters.
I didn't think it was? I thought the RL used the new ACE body structure.:confused: Maybe I'm wrong though.

Back