Ever experienced this before?

Not necessarily a track question but has anyone experienced their car suddenly darting laterally without steering input? It has happened to me and can be a bit unnerving as you could imagine. It is worth noting that the roads here are not great as the high rainfall and soil conditions create erosion issues which undermine and weaken roads. Potholes are obvious and often identified in time to avoid. But what I am speaking to is much sneakier a demon and hard to identify, specifically it seems to possibly be uneven road surfaces and often associated grooves within the road which may be causing the sudden L/R shifting, but I can't say for sure. I have Tein shocks with EDFC and recently made a change from the firmest setting (which the wife loved /s) to the midway setting all around and that has helped driveability a bit. Not sure where to go with it from here, but look forward to learning from similar experiences and possible solutions without getting too crazy.Thanks in advance for all meaningful contributions.

Could be the road/crowning if all other variables have been checked, like tires/alignment/suspension integrity

Sounds like this was "not" just the rear end, but if it was i had the rear "jump" over 6-8" once in the rain(on a straight) likely from the early rear toe settings so perhaps you would want to adopt the late settings. Maybe your rear A-arm rubber bushings are shot? I'm sure the track folks will say that if it's a forever car for you, CRF rear beam joints and toe links should be done. I know i can easily catch the rear after this mod - not sure i could do that without them. Got a street ride in the Comptec track car way back in the day - with their align settings they were darting all over the road - scary on the street.

Not sure what tramlining is..
Here, LMGTFY.

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlining:
Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs. The term comes from the tendency of a car's wheels to follow the normally recessed rails of street trams, without driver input in the same way that the train does. The same effect is sometimes called nibbling.

Tramlining can usually be blamed on tires, and its incidence depends greatly on the type of the tire and its state of wear. Although not normally dangerous, at very high speeds it can become a source of instability.

Vehicles with large and wide low-profile tires are more prone to the effects as well as vehicles which have wheels fitted that are larger than the manufacturer's recommendation or have reinforced sidewalls. People who are relatively inexperienced with driving with this tendency will feel that they have to make continual course corrections and it is very easy to overcompensate the steering, which could potentially lead to veering off the road especially if the road is a narrow track/country road.

The effects of tramlining can be eased by subjecting the vehicle to an inspection and calibration of the wheels (i.e. a full geometry check) or replacing the tires with non-reinforced (soft-sidewall) tires.

That is what is going on. Seems like the only option for me is to have the wheels inspected and calibrated from the post. By calibration is this balancing or something else?

By calibration is this balancing or something else?
Something else. They mean suspension alignment -- which might help if yours happens to be really off, but won't do much otherwise.

What are your tire pressures? Lowering the pressure can reduce tramlining, and if your rear tires are still being inflated to the 40psi that was recommended for the OEM tires, you should lower them by at least 5psi for other reasons, anyway.

I will try dropping the rears to 35 cold and see how that works, I assume the fronts remain 34ish?
Sure. But if you like them there, maybe try dropping the pressure 2 psi at a time and see whether you like them even more at lower pressures.

"Best" pressure for you will depend on the tire and your personal preference. But you'll probably find that a little lower feels better.

FWIW, my BFG G-Force Rival S 1.5 feel best to me at 34R/31F cold.

Back