Esurance is NOT RECOMMENDED

I requested a quote from Esurance (for a Maserati) and, after answering a lot of detailed questions, got a quote of $735 for 6 months. Not bad. A few days later, I go to purchase the insurance and after running a "report" from ChoicePoint (?), I am then quoted $1028. This is understandable because I had 2 minor tickets last year. I ented my credit card info to pay and then my quote increases AGAIN based on another "report" from ChoicePoint. Now it's $1837. I called Customer Service and asked someone to contact me.

I just found out that their initial quotes are based on people with credit scores above 800. I consider my credit to be excellent with a score above 760....apparently my "low" score raised my premium from $735 to $1028. The jump from $1028 to $1837 was based on driving record. I'm ok with that.

Here's what I find deceiving. I am very aware of my credit score and do believe it is a good score. I asked the Esurance rep how many people actually qualify for the rates they are quoting. She didn't want to answer and instead said "we've had a few customers whose actual rates didn't change from the initial quote". It seems they quote the low rates knowing that most people won't qualify. Then, after they have run your credit, and after you have spent 20 minutes filling out all the info, they hope you will accept their higher rates. The whole process was disappointing.

Anyway, I hope this saves some other people a lot of time and hassle.

By the way, I've been using Geico for 10 years and have been completely satisfied. I only went to esurance b/c Geico doesn't normally cover Maseratis. I called Geico this morning and they made an exception. And my rate is lower than the first rate quoted by esurance.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information...It can't be a good practice to surprise 90% of your potential customers when they are ready to pay for services.

From FicoScore.com:

Attachments

• chart.gif
    chart.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 230
Thanks for posting that breakdown. I was actually starting to think that maybe my credit score sucked and the majority of the US population had credit scores above 800.

I have been with Esurance.com for nearly 3 years and never had any kind of problems. Although they did increase my policy but they blamed it on California Increase :confused:

I found them at one time to be the most competitive until last week.

Costo.com (under American Express) their rates is about $600.00 less than Esurance (anually) and @ a higher coverage. Try it for yourself. Im definately switching..:D

Esurance - $1111 (6 months)

Costco- $779 (6 months)

Many of the things that Costco offers great prices on are surprising. The NSX Club recently switched our credit card processing to a Costco service, at excellent savings.

Costco has car insurance?

Costco...the grocery store? :confused:

Wow. I knew they had connections for selling cars but not providing insurance.

Joel said:
Costco has car insurance?

Costco...the grocery store? :confused:

Wow. I knew they had connections for selling cars but not providing insurance.

Joel,

I was shocked myself :D give it a try, you may just thank me later on:D :D :D

Just curious Joel, which lowering kit do you have on your car?, looks very aggressive.:cool:

Back