EPS light on

A guy on here has a 95 for sale and says the EPS light is on and needs to be reset. should this send out any red flags? what causes this, and could it be related to a serious problem? he says the car only has 28k miles...

i ask because in another thread a guy had a problem with that and his auto trans going haywire... although this one is a manual....

(also curious why it hasn't sold as it seems like a good deal and carfax is clean)

thanks in advance, oh wise NSXr's :biggrin:

Warranty

Even if you are not the original owner, Honda issued a "recall" to replace the ECU for the electric power steering for 95 NSXs.

Because my profile was up-to-date with Honda, I received a notification letter from them and had the ECU replaced without charge.

I do not recall if there was an expiration date in the letter.....check with your local Acura dealership. If they claim to not know anything about this, they are full of shit. I suggest doing a search in this topic herein PRIME, so you can be a well-informed consumer.....the kind that dealerships kinda shrug their shoulders towards because you are correct.

Caveat - there may be an expiration date to replace the ECU free, but there in fact was a recall letter for 95 NSXs.

I see you are in Phoenix. Look up Mark Basch at Basch Accurate Service and he can elaborate on this.

try resetting the EPS computer by taking the clock fuse out for 30 seconds and then setting it back. If the light comes back on immediately or after driving for awhile, then there maybe a problem with the EPS. A drained or low battery will set the EPS light on as well as shut off the power steering..ask me how I know.

How do you know??? (you said to ask!)

hahahaa..since Katrina and Rita came thru..I haven't had a chance to drive my baby for over a month, so the battery died. After recharging the Odyssey PC680, the EPS light came on and after start up (poof!)..no power steering..I don't know how you guys do it without power steering but I know how Popeye got his big forearms..driving an NSX w/o power steering :biggrin:

after resetting the EPS unit a la clock fuse..EPS disappeared, power steering came back on and my forearms are shrinking as I type this.. :biggrin:

I tried the reset suggestion and the EPS light turned off. I went to close the hood and got back into the car and tried to turn the steering wheel to check the power steering and the light immediately turned back on.
Any other ideas??????
It's too nice out to not be able to drive today!!!!!!!

Thanks for any help

While starting the car do not play with the steering wheel. Also what is your battery condition?
e_nsx said:
I tried the reset suggestion and the EPS light turned off. I went to close the hood and got back into the car and tried to turn the steering wheel to check the power steering and the light immediately turned back on.
Any other ideas??????
It's too nice out to not be able to drive today!!!!!!!

Thanks for any help

Last December I had battery problems because the car sat idle for about 6 weeks. I took it to NAPA and they checked/charged it for me. I reinstalled the same battery and the car ran fine that day (and has been fine all year up until last weekend).
So I should try the reset again and let the car sit for a few minutes before playing with the wheel?

Back