Engine Number vs vin #

I was just comparing the "hidden vin" to the vin that displayed in front of the car. but when i found the engine and transmission numbers they are in the same format or the same numbers.... is this normal?? how can i tell if the motor is legit?

What year NSX do you have? I do not believe there is a hidden VIN on any year NSX. Just the Public, Federal sticker and the Secondary in the engine compartment.

I have not even seen a build slip or a strap number anywhere either.... Ive also not kept up with the build procedures the past decade or so, but I see no reason for Acura to start.

The engine/transmission and all that can be verified through NICB.ORG. ALL of this stuff is tracked...they can tell you the exact day and container the car was checked in at. Along with transmission and engine numbers.

Sometimes the state record (DMV) will have the engine number listed.

Also you can get the car inspected by your highway patrol/state police (CHP here in CA) they will inspect the vehicle and verify all the numbers. IF there is a hidden VIN they will check that too. Doesn't cost anything, just make an appointment....they do the inspection in private---so don't expect to watch or learn anything new.

Why do you think the car has been VIN switched? Is it salvaged? I would pull apart the trunk and look for signs of replacement....you'll need to scrape away a bit of the paint to make completely sure. OTOH you'll be able to tell if there is fresh paint inside the trunk...over spray or something.

Drew
/wasted life = how I know all these things

FWIW: P-cars have hidden tracible numbers everywhere, they understand that the car would be less desirable if they are considered an easy theft object...took about 10 years and the market for stolen p-car cars is pretty much gone.

The Japanese just don't have the crime problem, just plain slips their mind. The lack of build slips, while very clean, is troubling when trying piece together chopped cars. No identifiable victim = No crime

I'm not sure what question he is asking.

Correct: the Engine/Transmission serial number is not a derivitive of the VIN on Honda products (or generally any products produced in Japan.)

Legitimate? Does he mean: stolen, restamped or original factory installed?

Comparing hidden VINs indicate to me that he believes the car is registered under a different VIN than was applied/intended by the factory.

Dunno. Maybe he could restate the question in less vague terms.

Regardless--ALL of his questions can be answered by a state inspection for theft/VIN tampering. There is a program in all 50 states for this.

Drew

Back