Engine mounts - can we rebuild them? (and save their crazy cost)

Had a chance to look under my car this weekend (NA1, 1996, Targa, stock engine)
It looks like the car can use fresh engine mounts (esp the front one)

Does anyone has any experience with rebuilding their engine mounts?
I've read a couple of threads about 2-parts poly filling them, but these were more around stiffening the ride, i am looking for an OEM feel without spending 650$ on a set of mounts that really has nothing in them but cast-rubber in them.

I was thinking about 60 or 75 grade A poly.

Would love to know if anyone has any past experience with it

@Track Addict rebuilt mine with 2-part poly several years ago and it was nice. My OEM ones had started to crack so it was a nice, cost-effective upgrade to do. Maybe slightly stiffer than stock but not much.
We rebuilt an engine mount on our Honda Acty with 2-part Urethane, and it came out great.
It also improved shifter feel, and still looks good a year later.
IMG_6421.JPG
IMG_6422.JPG

Had a chance to look under my car this weekend (NA1, 1996, Targa, stock engine)
It looks like the car can use fresh engine mounts (esp the front one)

Does anyone has any experience with rebuilding their engine mounts?
I've read a couple of threads about 2-parts poly filling them, but these were more around stiffening the ride, i am looking for an OEM feel without spending 650$ on a set of mounts that really has nothing in them but cast-rubber in them.

I was thinking about 60 or 75 grade A poly.

Would love to know if anyone has any past experience with it

Definitely rebuildable. Can DIY with the CRF kit (that’s what I use) and a 65A durometer two part.

Done probably two dozen sets of mounts in the 16 years of working on NSXs.

Always fill front and rear as they’re the ones taking engine torque

I rebuilt mine by 3d printing a mould and then using a casting urethane. Then finished it with a super pro stainless crush tube. I cast it in 70a and couldn't really notice any difference, however, its just the front one I have done so far (was swapping the manifolds so was easier to to do it whilst everything is apart).

At first I cast in in 80a and it felt a bit stiff to the touch, so redid them in 70a, so I have a spare one on the shelf in stiffer material.

I did the front, and I think one of the others is the same dimensions, but will need to do the 3rd one with a new mould (I was told the right hand side cast iron ones don't wear out at all)

Oh, and I put some dye in to make them red.... because racecar! :p

Taking out the old rubber is a pain as it's bonded to the aluminium. It's gets a bit messy and the aluminium is concave as opposed to a straight cylinder type shape

Attachments

• em2.PNG
    em2.PNG
    270.4 KB · Views: 0
  • CroPic1715199479480.png
    CroPic1715199479480.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240508_211639.jpg
    IMG_20240508_211639.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back