Engine Heat

I drove the car quite hard for about an hour a few days ago, and when I got it back in my garage, I could see heat rising out of the vent at the base of the engine cover glass. So I popped the engine cover. Wow, was it hot in there.

I actually left the engine cover open for a few hours, and it noticeably warmed up my garage.

I'm wondering if the extreme heat can have any detrimental effects on either the window cover glass or it's seals or any other parts in that compartment.

Any thoughts?

I would assume that it is vented as Acura was obsessed with airflow and heat dissipation, and as long as the car is moving heat will be drawn out????
I am now in the habit of leaving the hatch open for an hour or so when I get home..... Maybe someone knows for sure if this is the case?

Did you let the engine cool down after parking in garage? I would not worry about the glass as much as I would the engine, but as you probably know for the engine compartment to cool down it needs air flow and mellow driving for a couple of miles. It is a good idea to open the engine cover if it is still warm after cool down.

You should take it easy for the last 5 minutes before you park the car to let the engine cool down a little bit. Esp. on turboed cars.

Heat will let age all rubber components.

Not a bad idea, many guys will leave the hatch open when it's garage parked to help get rid of the epoxy smell from the trunk. You aren't hurting anything by doing so. Here is an excerpt from page 153 in your owners manual

"After high-performance driving, it is critical to allow your vehicle to properly cool down. Do not immediately stop your vehicle. Instead, continue driving at reduced speeds, allowing for increased braking distances until your vehicle returns to normal operating temperatures. Once you stop and safely park the NSX, open the hatch to aid cooling. If the engine oil temperature reaches the H mark during high-performance driving, have your NSX inspected by an authorized Acura NSX dealer"

I usually open the hatch after driving the car, to help cool down the engine compartment. One nice touch is that the trunk light automatically shuts off after about 20 minutes, so no need to worry about it draining the battery if you leave the hatch open overnight.

Back