Engine Break In Mileage... PLEASE advise!

I am happy to say that I picked up my dream car last weekend. I picked up a 2003 6-Speed Silverstone Mettalic/Black NSX on 8/22 from Niello Acura. This car REALLY feels like a dream.. Especially after 5k rpm where the VTEC starts to engage.

I had a simple question for all you pros...

I drove the car down from Sacramento to LA.. In total, the drive was about 600 miles.. 90% of the time cruising about 75 mph in 6th gear...

From the time I got back, its just so tempting to open up the throttle and take it into VTEC! Tonight, I smoked a new 540 6-speed....

Am I driving TOO HARD on the car right now??? Is it too early to take it above 6k or 7k rpm in 2nd gear at this low of a mileage? I hope I am not hurting the engine, but I heard that after about 500-600 miles its ok to drive a little harder...

Please advise! Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thank you.

Hi Bijan, congrats on your new NSX! I look forward to seeing photos of it in the Photo Gallery.

According to this page in the FAQ:
[A/H] The early pre-production cars were run at high speed around the test track. We learned early that the engines didn't like it. Now the factory doesn't go over 5000 RPM when they run the cars around the track.

We also put in the owners manual that they should not rev over 5000 RPM for the first 500 or 600 miles.
Take it for what it's worth. Have fun with your new car!

Back