Edmunds article on the RLX hybrid

Nice Find.

I thought it was a pretty fair review until the end when the author compares its 30 MPG economy and driving performance (0-60 in the mid to high 4 seconds - MT Estimate) to the MKZ Hybrid's 45 MPG and Lexus ES300 Hybrid's 40 MPG numbers. Both take more than 8 seconds to get to 60 mph and neither of these lessor cars are four wheel drive (just front). Of course neither have torque vectoring SH-AWD. So to suggest that the RLX Sport Hybrid's technology does not represent a clear breakthrough in performance is a joke at best and slanderous at worst.

Last edited:
Nice Find.

I thought it was a pretty fair review until the end when the author compares its 30 MPG economy and driving performance (0-60 in the mid to high 4 seconds - MT Estimate) to the MKZ Hybrid's 45 MPG and Lexus ES300 Hybrid's 40 MPG numbers. Both take more than 8 seconds to get to 60 mph and neither of these lessor cars are four wheel drive (just front). Of course neither have torque vectoring SH-AWD. So to suggest that the RLX Sport Hybrid's technology does not represent a clear breakthrough in performance is a joke at best and slanderous at worst.

Don't the MKZ and EH300 hybrids have 4 cylinder engines in their base spec.
Would that would explain the slower 0-60 and higher mileage figures?

AAghhhh I have been reading all the press about the new RLX and so far exactly no one has shared whether Honda's DCT is any good. This is important, folks! If they're going to do paddle shift on the new NSX it better rock my world the way PDK did the first time I drove it.

Yes, good point. So they have a different focus. From that standpoint, they really should not be compared to the RLX Sport Hybrid in my opinion.

Agreed. Once again, Edmunds shows scatter brain habits. They are not even in the same price ranges either, let alone size and class.

bngl3rt,

Great point. I too wondered about the shift dynamics of the new DCT transmission. There is an in-car video form one of the journalists on youtube during a recent test drive of the RLX Sport Hybrid. He had the gopro focused on the road ahead with a good display of the HUD while he did a 0-60 run. Compared to my RL SH-AWD, it shifted quite a bit faster & seemed smoother. I'll see if I can locate that video....

AAghhhh I have been reading all the press about the new RLX and so far exactly no one has shared whether Honda's DCT is any good. This is important, folks! If they're going to do paddle shift on the new NSX it better rock my world the way PDK did the first time I drove it.

The NSX DCT will have to be in the same league as that of the GT3 and the 458 for it to be competitive. Those two are probably the benchmarks for the NSX and the driving experience will depend in a large part to how well the DCT is incorporated into a rather complex powertrain.

Whether the DCT (or whatever Honda calls it ) will make any perceptible difference to the buyer of the RLX is doubtful.

Porsche's PDK can be computer controlled by the factory to shift they way they want it. PDK mapping in the GT3 is different from the Turbo/S or the C2S/ C4S.

I just had my car in (11/13) to have the PDK updated (factory campaign) and the new programming in "sport" now has a much quicker response time than before.

Honda will make the call on how the DCT in the 2015 NSX will shift. Too aggressive = maybe too many warranty problems. Too slow = customer whining.

Right, but as far as the mechanical capabilities of the box, the RLX serves as very good foreshadowing. That's why I'm so frustrated by all the reviews - we don't even know if they're *close* yet.

Back